reusing axe head to make another axe

Cl0nec0mmand0

i think that you should have a small chance when your axe breaks to get the head back then you could use a plank or the "sturdy stick" to use as the handle and then stick the head on because the axe head is made of iron it should be really durable while the body is usually wood not as strong as the iron id think that would be the first thing to break so you could always take the head off and hold onto it and use it later

The head should NEVER break. It should dull though. maybe the axe damage could go down over time with durability, and when it breaks you could be left with a "dull axe" that could still be used for bashing. In the event that the handle broke you could be left with a "dull axe head" or a "sharp axe head".

But maybe that's too complicated.

I said it in the last thread and I'll say it in this one: reattaching axe heads is a challenging ask and if you don't know what you're doing you'll likely just end up killing yourself or losing your axe head as it sticks into a tree or a zombie. It's not as easy as mashing a stick in the hole.

I said it in the last thread and I'll say it in this one: reattaching axe heads is a challenging ask and if you don't know what you're doing you'll likely just end up killing yourself or losing your axe head as it sticks into a tree or a zombie. It's not as easy as mashing a stick in the hole.

use a hammer?

use a hammer?

I think it isn't that difficult, if you have the proper materials.

First you have to construct the correct handle, make sure that growt rings are not sideways (because that would break your handle instantly).

Crave the head to fit into the hole of the axe.

Then you have to make a wedge-shaped cut-out on the top of the handle.

Push the handle until it comes out the other side (easier if you fix the axe). You have to push it's end further a bit (1 cm or half).

Then hit a fitting wood wedge into the cut-out what you made earlier. This pushes the two "flops" of the handle outwards, and the axe head is stuck.

But to achieve a long lasting method, use metal wedges, or metal tubes. The wedges are not large, just a few (6 - 7) cm high, as long as the axe whole (3 - 5 cm), and have little width (0,5 - 1 cm). The metal tube has a diameter of 1 cm, and 6-7 cm high.

Wood wedges last for 1 or two years, after that they tend to fall out, ithout wedges the axe head fall off after a month. Of course these figures imply daily usage.

Metal wedges can last for 5 to 10 years (forgot to post, when I say "last", that doesn't mean they are destroyed, just the time after they fall out from the head of your axe, you can put it pack, or make a new handle).

Source: having worked with wood a lot, I can't count how many trees I have cut down (don't worry most of them were dead or dieing anyway). Built my own handles, machete and crafted iron chisels with cold hammering, etc.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. You can see from Cl0nec0mmand0's post he had no idea any of that was involved in the process- as most people would not. Also, splitting the end of the wood is hard to do without ruining the shaft, and plain can't be done with some types of wood (without treating it, at least). The game is meant to be about the average person, not some omniscient super-hero that knows how to perform every craft in the world. That's why I say that even though I personally could probably do it, it shouldn't be added to the vanilla game.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. You can see from Cl0nec0mmand0's post he had no idea any of that was involved in the process- as most people would not. Also, splitting the end of the wood is hard to do without ruining the shaft, and plain can't be done with some types of wood (without treating it, at least). The game is meant to be about the average person, not some omniscient super-hero that knows how to perform every craft in the world. That's why I say that even though I personally could probably do it, it shouldn't be added to the vanilla game.

There is another method, when you use strings or other stuff to constrain the axe, or just hit a needle horizontally into the handle to hold the axe. Though this is only a temporary solution and you have to fix it after a few months.

What I am trying to say is that there is no porblem with reusing axe or hammer heads, just make it difficult to do so, probably skill wise too. That was you prevent players having their axes fix during combat, for instance all repairs must be done at a stationary vise. If you put only 3 vise in the game repairs become really difficult, but not impossible.

Hafting an axe isn't some black magic, the average sane individual can do it in a manageable manner once they've been told or shown how and have the tools available. This can adequately be represented by the carpentry skill, or some tool usage skill that will perhaps be implemented one day.

The player doesn't have to be an omniscient superhero to manage situations that tons of people manage in their everyday lives with a bit of skill and equipment.

Also, this is where that whole realism/fun balance comes in to play, and it's borderline stupid to stop this because it can be a tedious process. If I had an axe head, suitable wood, and a couple of tools I could do it. Maybe not perfectly the first time, but that's what xp is for.

yah i guess you can make stronger axes with better carpentry lvl and maybe being 1 or under it has a chance of failing and breaking the stick/plank in the process

Seems hilariously unrealistic to me, but maybe I'm in the minority. Just reading the posts from this thread (and the old one) proved me completely right that most people don't have a damn clue how to do it. If this was the 1800's, I'd agree. Most people could do it back then. Nowadays, not so much. I'd be willing to bet that if given an axe head, a hammer, and a tree a very, very, very, very small percentage of our forum goers could make anything worthwhile.

Seems hilariously unrealistic to me, but maybe I'm in the minority. Just reading the posts from this thread (and the old one) proved me completely right that most people don't have a damn clue how to do it. If this was the 1800's, I'd agree. Most people could do it back then. Nowadays, not so much. I'd be willing to bet that if given an axe head, a hammer, and a tree a very, very, very, very small percentage of our forum goers could make anything worthwhile.

Please, my "Hit metal wedge back into place with brass hammer" is perfect.

Heh, like my other post in the mod section for this, I'm going to make something similar..

Now a Q for you guys, should it be like a tootsie-pop? where you have to whack all day and repair the axe three times just to chop the tree down. . (If no one responds, I'll make it like this :D)

Well, I believe some axes have their heads are pinned to the handle using a nail.

Example of such a pinned axe-head:

ChinaAxe.jpg

So given a proper knife, a hammer, a nail. a proper wooden handle, and maybe something to wedge with, it can be done.
Also, I'm pretty sure that you can actually buy(/find in post apocalyptic warehouses) handles for tools.

Example of an axe handle:

31JAiJiy9DL.jpg

Personal opinion:

The biggest problem could be the knife, as currently the best available is a kitchen knife. No combat knife, no hunting knife, no carving knife, nothing. I don't know what could be used for carving. Maybe another axe? :D Or the axe head...

I am pro re-shafting and repairing weapons, because I think killing 50 zombies with an axe would not break it. They are designed for years of hard work. I don't know which is harder, wood or zombie skulls. I do not wish to go on a rampage to prove my point but I do believe axe durability should be buffed. Even if the edge goes dull, you can still bash in heads. If axes were not so rare and brittle, there would be no need for this. I agree that it is not the greatest priority, but it would be a nice addition to the game.

Well, I believe some axes have their heads are pinned to the handle using a nail.

Example of such a pinned axe-head:

ChinaAxe.jpg

So given a proper knife, a hammer, a nail. a proper wooden handle, and maybe something to wedge with, it can be done.

Also, I'm pretty sure that you can actually buy(/find in post apocalyptic warehouses) handles for tools.

Example of an axe handle:

31JAiJiy9DL.jpg

Personal opinion:

The biggest problem could be the knife, as currently the best available is a kitchen knife. No combat knife, no hunting knife, no carving knife, nothing. I don't know what could be used for carving. Maybe another axe? :D Or the axe head...

I am pro re-shafting and repairing weapons, because I think killing 50 zombies with an axe would not break it. They are designed for years of hard work. I don't know which is harder, wood or zombie skulls. I do not wish to go on a rampage to prove my point but I do believe axe durability should be buffed. Even if the edge goes dull, you can still bash in heads. If axes were not so rare and brittle, there would be no need for this. I agree that it is not the greatest priority, but it would be a nice addition to the game.

I use the same axe for years before repairing it, but I have to admit, using an ingame axe for several years is a bit op. However a general tool repairing feature would not make the game easy (just extend the suffering of our characters a little bit).