Zombie Animations/Behavior

Rathlord

So I just wanted to bring up a little thing that's niggling at me- I'd like to see a few different 'types' of attacks from zombies. We have different speed zombies and different looking zombies, now we just need a bit of new behavior. Without further ado, here's what I wanted to see:

Grabbing (we have this now, should slow you but do no damage)

Scratching (a swinging motion, light damage, can be blocked by heavy clothing)

Biting (can only be done at very close range, heavy damage, blocked by hard clothing/armor)

Tackling (a long distance lurching motion that knocks you and the zombie down, no damage dealt, can be resisted by strong characters)

Grab and Bite (can only be done if the zombie is behind the character, holds him strongly and bites him)

Along with this I'd like to see some zombies with different 'injuries' as has been discussed before:

Missing an arm. Can only attack on one side (and slowly) and can't grab.

Missing two arms. Can't scratch or grab, only bite. Tackles with a penalty.

No legs. Can be hidden in low grass. Can bite, grab, and scratch but only at close range. When grabbing can drag itself along with the player?

Crushed jaw. Can't bite.

No arms, No Jaw, Pack mules! 

Lol @ Walking dead michonne or whatever reference.

I wasn't actually thinking about that =P I think having a zombie around you all the time would be wayyyy too dangerous since in my opinion they'd keep trying to claw/bite you no matter what.

I wasn't actually thinking about that =P I think having a zombie around you all the time would be wayyyy too dangerous since in my opinion they'd keep trying to claw/bite you no matter what.

So what, they keep headbutting you, so what? They get punished by holding all your stuff, I would keep my zombified dog and just put a muzzle on it and clip it's claws, and clip an air freshener on it's collar, Then i would have my own pet dog to walk around that zombies won't attack, plus if you have a zombie with you that is tamed/mutilated, at least in the walking dead, they ignore you in fear of the same befalling them.

So what, they keep headbutting you, so what? They get punished by holding all your stuff, I would keep my zombified dog and just put a muzzle on it and clip it's claws, and clip an air freshener on it's collar, Then i would have my own pet dog to walk around that zombies won't attack, plus if you have a zombie with you that is tamed/mutilated, at least in the walking dead, they ignore you in fear of the same befalling them.

Well my thought would be that there's still jagged bone in and around the mouth area, plus just the overall risk of getting their blood on you and you getting infected... it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

The thought of "zombie camouflage" I absolutely abhor and it's my least favorite thing about The Walking Dead. But that's just kinda a personal thing. It works for Shaun of the Dead... no one else.

I think this is great! I'd say even just the animations at the moment would add a lot to the game. As for mutilated zombies, I've always been all for it, I just can't see it happening for a while to be honest. 

Yes, this would definitely be something for down the road. The animations alone can take a large amount of time, so it's certainly just a 'something for the future' type suggestion.

Yes, this would definitely be something for down the road. The animations alone can take a large amount of time, so it's certainly just a 'something for the future' type suggestion.

Yeah. Could possibly come up as a mod beforehand and implemented permanently like many of the mods from the old forum.

Allright, but that sounds great! I also liked your ideas about the limbs missing (nice n' gory). I also at somepoint would like to see the player, NPCs and Zs falling down/tripping on objects. I know it's a movie cliché and propably been suggested here a few times but in my opinion its somewhat an essential part of the whole genre. :-) There's nothing like running backwards from a horde laughing at them, only to fall on a corpse you forgot you left there and ofcourse get eaten by the lil munchkins.

• 3 months later...

Well, actually, it could be safe. All you'd have to do is chop off both arms, break its jaw so it can't bite, and you basically have a walking disguise. Disguise because you could basically walk through countless zombies and your scent would be hidden by your undead companions, like with Michonne.

Speaking of disguise, why not use zombie blood? :D

Well, actually, it could be safe. All you'd have to do is chop off both arms, break its jaw so it can't bite, and you basically have a walking disguise. Disguise because you could basically walk through countless zombies and your scent would be hidden by your undead companions, like with Michonne.

Speaking of disguise, why not use zombie blood? :D

A someone who read the zombie survival guide, this just makes me laugh. Ignoring that fact that it would still be extremely easy to get infected, the "camo" would be about as effective as using a cardboard box to sneak by them. (Hell, it would probably be better!)

Zombie blood? You may as well just let a zed chew your arm off, either way your going to become infected.