[EVOLVE] SERVER SETUP GUIDE NO-STEAM AND STEAM FOR DUMBS

DelToro95

So yeah, I've been trying to do it for 3 days and I don't want this time to get wasted. Here is a guide that will let you set up a private server for your friends within 1-2 hours.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOST:

Spoiler

If you ALL have legally bought steam version then you may ignore the no-steam instructions.

1. At least one of you need to have legally bought PZ on Steam. That person has to send the game folder to everyone else (It will launch without any installation. Just share the files). Just to make sure, that your client versions are the same.

2. That person has to open steam -> library -> tools -> Project Zomboid Dedicated Server     and download it (and send it to the host).

3. Now the hardest part. You HAVE TO open certain ports on your router AND your firewall. To do so, you have to access your router. If you know how to - just skip these few steps.

a. Ask the owner of the router for login and password to access it (it's not the same as wi-fi login-password). If he doesn't know:

b. Dive under your desk and check the model of your router. Yes, all those letters and numbers matter.

c. Type it in google adding something like "default login and password". (it's usually login: admin, and empty password)

d. type in your browser 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and login.

4. All those routers have different menus, so you have to search for it on your own. It's called "port forwarding". You should be able to choose port protocols UDP or TCP. Search for these options. Don't be afraid to check everything on every page. It won't save any settings until you click "save".
5. If you found it, the hard part is behind. Type in the "port" section 16261, choose it to be UDP and open. Then (depending on how many players MAX will you have on your server, you need to open 16262-x TCP ports (for example, if you want to have 10 players (including you) on the server at once you need to open TCP ports 16262-16272. Easy math. You may open a few more, doesn't matter.))

6. Make sure, that you've done it strictly. If you opened one more UDP port or you opened 16261 TCP port, your server will probably not work.

7. Horray. Now open you control panel -> Security -> Firewall -> Advanced settings (on the left) -> Incoming rules (or smth like that) -> add new. Choose port and set everything like you did on the router (16261 UDP and another rule for 16262-x TCP). Then do the same for outcoming rules (it's probably not necessary, but we want to be sure, right?). Watch out, because you'll have to check "ALLOW FOR CONNECTION" this time.

8. Almost done. Everyone download and install Evolve. The host should create a party and before playing HE SHOULD JOIN IT FIRST EVERY SINGLE TIME. All of you will have to install a network adapter (evolve will ask while creating/joining party.). It's little bugged on Win10 at the moment. IDK how to solve it, but it's probably easy. Everyone join the host's party.

9. Now it's time to choose. Go to the PZ Dedicated Server folder and search for StartServer(32 or 64, depending on your OS version).bat. Don't open it yet. If at least one of you DOESN'T have steam version, you have to run server in no-steam version (if you all have it on steam, go to next step). To do so:

a. To run a server in no-steam version right click the .bat file and edit it with notepad. After the last words of the file (let's say: "zombie.network.GameServer"), you have to type one space and "-nosteam" (without quotes). Easy, huh? It took me a whole day to figure it out xd. Save and close.

10. We've all been waiting for it. Run the edited .bat file. A magical black rectangle with white letters should appear. You might have some errors or whatever at this moment. But we'll talk about them later. When console will stop spamming for - let's say - 10 seconds, close it. go to PZServerSettings folder, open the .bat file and change whatever you want. Just don't change the "servertest" line and save the file as default (overwrite the previous one).

11. Delete the old multiplayer world (You just changed the rules, so you want a new one to appear). It's located at C:\Users\YOUR USER\Zomboid\Saves\multiplayer\servertest. Delete the servertest folder.
12. Remember, that when you start a server's console, in-game time starts to flow. It won't stop when nobody's online. So be aware, coz 20 minutes of your inattention and your plants may be dead, your hideout swarmed by zombies or your characters starved to death. With great power comes great responsibility.

13. ALWAYS Save your game by typing "save" (without quotes) before closing console.

14. Complete the Instructions for client (you also want to play after all this time, huh?)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLIENTS:

Spoiler

1. At least one of you need to have legally bought PZ on Steam. That person has to send the game folder to everyone else (It will launch without any installation. Just share the files). Just to make sure, that your client versions are the same and new enough to run multiplayer.

2. If at least one of you DOESN'T have steam version, you have to run the game in no-steam mode (if you all have steam version, just run it through steam). To do so:

a. To run a game in no-steam version right click the ProjectZomboid(32/64).bat file and edit it with notepad. After the last words of the file (let's say: "zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState"), you have to type one space and "-nosteam" (without quotes). Save and close.

3. If you are the one, that bought the game, you have to run the game while in steam offline mode, or you need to find it in your library -> properties -> launching options (or smth like that) and type in "-nosteam" (without quotes)

4. Everyone download and install Evolve. The host should create a party and before playing HE SHOULD JOIN IT FIRST EVERY SINGLE TIME. All of you will have to install a network adapter (evolve will ask while creating/joining party.). It's little bugged on Win10 at the moment. IDK how to solve it, but it's probably easy. Everyone join the host's party.

5. Run the game via edited .bat file (or through steam, if you bought the game).

6. If you all have steam versions, you have to type host's evolve IP in "local IP" and - probably - in "IP". Type your username that will be visible in-game. Port 16261.

a. If you run a no-steam version, you won't have the "local ip" line. Just type host's IP in "IP" line.
7. Enjoy. If you're a christian you can pray for my company that I'm running to bring me happyness and money.
Yeh, I'm serious.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:

Spoiler

You might experience some weird things going on. Here are some of them:

1. If after a few session, everyone's characters starts from the very beginning it means that host's IP changed. You must go to C:\Users\YOUR USER\Zomboid\Saves\multiplayer\ and delete the folder (close the game first) with new IP and rename the old IP to the new one. For example: You recently played on IP 128.11.14.2 and now host's IP is 128.11.14.3 You have to delete the .3 folder and rename .2 to .3. That's because PZ wasn't designed for multiplayer at the beginning and some server files are stored locally.

2. After starting a new world on server, the console says "cannot set spawn point at 0.0.0. Well. That means, that game created spawn point somewhere out of the map. Just delete the servertest world and restart server.

3. Some java.exception.blabla.IDKcozI'mNotIntoJava. Well.... well... I'm a filmmaker, not an IT guy. Make sure you closed all game and server consoles and restart. If doesn't help, delete world save. If doesn't help - google it.

4. If people try to connect, but you don't see it on the server's console it means that you didn't make these port-forwarding steps correctly. Call your internet provider for help. They don't bite.

5. If people try to connect and you see these attempts, but they are timeouted, there is a difference between the steam and no-steam versions. Check 3 tmes, that you all have the same version.

I hope, that I'll help at least one group of friends to play this game.

To admins: I will not answer to this thread. I registered just to write this one post and disappear forever. So feel free to edit it. I waive the rights to what I've written above.

Peace