Helicopters have gotten ridiculous.....

matchinson

Hey guys, this will be my first post so hi! Glad to be here, Sadly my first post is somewhat of a complaint. Let me be clear though: I really like this game. I just think Helicopter events have gotten ridiculous. I thought they were fine when they were random fly by's that attracted zombies to its loud noise. Now however, it seems that the chopper(s) will literally follow you around for at least a good in game hour if not longer. How is this right? To me it ruins immersion. There is no reason for a helicopter to be following you around for hour or more. Maybe switch back to random fly by's? Or have the chopper linger over you for maybe 20 in game minutes? Seriously, choppers have very limited fuel and if they are evacuating would not waste it all on following some guy around. Chopper events now just seem to be a cheap way to drag 300+ zombies to your location from all directions. It turns you  into a horde magnet potentially for hours. I love that the game is tough and out to kill you, but this just seems.....cheap imo. What are your thoughts on the new development of having choppers follow you around? 

I thought the helicopter event was pretty cool. The radio gave the announcement from the general that they would come and find you and help you out. I figured the thing would crash eventually, probably a better ending since rescue isn't an option. It doesn't ever just crash though. I wish it would, I'd really like to salvage an M16 and some MREs. 

1 minute ago, Slice985 said:

I thought the helicopter event was pretty cool. The radio gave the announcement from the general that they would come and find you and help you out. I figured the thing would crash eventually, probably a better ending since rescue isn't an option. It doesn't ever just crash though. I wish it would, I'd really like to salvage an M16 and some MREs. 

Now this would be cool. Finding the Helicopter crash and salvaging things from it. 

That would be pretty cool indeed, but it could be a pain to find the wreckage. They would have to add some way to locate it. But yeah, getting there before all the zombies do and grabbing all you can find would be sweet.

So does the helicopter always draw zombies towards you?  

I could have sworn that it drew them away twice in my last playthrough.  I had two 4 day stretches where I didn't see a single one following the loud chopper noises (I was inside my house both times, luckily), which is really weird for survival right now.

Is the helicopter event scripted right now day-wise?  I'm curious because it seems to be really close to the 7th day, which is a place I've been a lot lately (started over more times than I'd like to admit).  I know it isn't coming at the exact same time every time, but it always comes at the end of the first week in my experience. 

Edited by Quigleyer

1 hour ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Same issue, I heard a helicopter then ran into my safehouse and slept hoping it would go away, It sat overhead for 10 hours and zombies destroyed my entire base.

THIS is what happened to me. In fact, my base/safehouse was the Large Warehouse. Copter stayed outside for several hours and Z's rushed the place. Tore down barriers and doors and windows. I was overran pretty quickly and died. 

It was annoying. I find this whole Copter mechanic to be more annoying than immersive. If there was a reward for surviving through it, like finding the Copter crashed and getting things from it (ammo, guns, MRE's or whatever) then yeah, that would add a cool element. But as it is, nah, its more of a griefing tool.

38 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

THIS is what happened to me. In fact, my base/safehouse was the Large Warehouse. Copter stayed outside for several hours and Z's rushed the place. Tore down barriers and doors and windows. I was overran pretty quickly and died. 

It was annoying. I find this whole Copter mechanic to be more annoying than immersive. If there was a reward for surviving through it, like finding the Copter crashed and getting things from it (ammo, guns, MRE's or whatever) then yeah, that would add a cool element. But as it is, nah, its more of a griefing tool.

That was my safehouse too, And yeah that's a good idea. I also don't like the whole idea of having to find a secondary safhouse just so the heli doesn't destroy everything.

7 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

That was my safehouse too, And yeah that's a good idea. I also don't like the whole idea of having to find a secondary safhouse just so the heli doesn't destroy everything.

What did you use as a Secondary safehouse to the Large Warehouse? I was thinking about using that farm with the huge corn patch out front. 

The helicopter acts much like an invisible object that will, at least two times, fly around the player. If your character is outside, the copter will follow you for some time; staying indoors will lead to its departure after it circles a few times, but that leaves you vulnerable to horde migration. However, things do not always work perfectly, so for my survival runs, I have developed a strategy to use the helicopter to your advantage. Because the helicopter not only draws zombies, but follows you as well, it becomes the perfect lure. Carry a bag with some food for the first 2 weeks in game so that when the helicopter comes, you can lure the hordes out of high-loot areas. Once the copter eventually leaves, evade the zeds, go to that high-population area and rest, then loot it before zed population makes it impossible. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I hope that it helps make the copter a little more useful for you all.