Cigarettes - Debuff Adjustment

CaptKaspar

Right now cigarettes decrease stress and decrease happiness.

I have never smoked a cigarette (except when trying to quit), that made me unhappy. If anything it made me happy, not unhappy. There is immediate satisfaction in smoking a cigarette, especially if you are addicted or just 'craving' one.

I suggest instead of a happiness decrease, they decrease your fitness level. Sure you can smoke one to decrease stress (maybe boost happiness), but it would come with the offset of not being able to run as far and maybe decrease your fitness XP gain rate (possibly even send it decreasing). 

I think this would be more accurate and realistic.

At least 10% of smokers will die from the radioactive lead-210 and polonium-210 in cigarettes that the tobacco companies can remove(but would then result in a less addictive cigarette). So there should be a 10% chance of dropping dead just from radiation poisoning. Cigarettes are such an interesting dynamic. Really when you first smoke it should give you negative everything, but as you continue to smoke it only has positive benefits. Then when you stop smoking all the negative effects start hitting you and you need to smoke just to stay normal and now have no real benefits. Then you become a zombie of the Tobacco Industry and you are forced to keep finding cigarettes. Then you just die from all the toxic chemicals after a random amount of years in game with a special ending screen saying thanks for smoking Marlboro. To keep the Tobacco industry staying in business in the Zombie Apocalypse we will have to have a system to grow Tobacco plants. Actually in real life they used to be used as pesticides. You can grow crops and then tobacco next to it to kill all the living things that would eat your plants. Then you can wrap it in paper and give it to your friend because you hate him.

11 minutes ago, Jether said:

Add the chain smoker trait so you need to keep a pack on you or you will get anxiety/and or panic.

It can be a +1 trait because we need +1 traits to prevent odd number catastrophes and also you should be able to earn the chain smoker trait just by smoking every day for a few days.

1 minute ago, Zomboid said:

Also pot head, it should be part of the farming skill. You never have a happiness problem again but you gain xp 420 times slower than usual.

Happiness does nothing atm to affect you so that would be sorta pointless. Also just reading a book removes every negative stat like that and it is infinite uses.

2 minutes ago, Jether said:

Happiness does nothing atm to affect you so that would be sorta pointless. Also just reading a book removes every negative stat like that and it is infinite uses.

In that case unhappiness should put a big giant frowny face on your screen to aggravate you instead of the tiny one on the side.

Just now, Zomboid said:

In that case unhappiness should put a big giant frowny face on your screen to aggravate you instead of the tiny one on the side.

Issue is just any reading material will remove your unhappiness stress and boredom. So until they balance infinite use books that have -50 to those stats there really isnt a point in having them around.

11 hours ago, Jether said:

Issue is just any reading material will remove your unhappiness stress and boredom. So until they balance infinite use books that have -50 to those stats there really isnt a point in having them around.

What books are you reading that can be re-used (not talking about skill books)? Mine always disappear after each use. Which of course makes no sense, but that's how it works for me in game. I think a system where you eventually get little to no value from reading a book that does not disappear would make the most sense. I've read this story a dozen times, ugh it's a bit boring now. Sort of like continuously repairing the same weapon. Each time you do it, it becomes less effective.

Back to cigarettes though; right now they serve no purpose because stress isn't a real concern for anyone. Unhappiness is a concern. Your character performs actions slower if depressed. So there's an incentive to not being unhappy. 

Cigarettes shouldnt make you unhappy (directly). Maybe long term if you become addicted and become unhappy because you can't find any.

Cigarettes would be a very valuable commodity in a world gone to hell. At the very least they would be  quite valuable in a bartering economy because some people would 'need' them.

On 3/20/2016 at 6:11 AM, CaptKaspar said:

I have never smoked a cigarette (except when trying to quit), that made me unhappy. If anything it made me happy, not unhappy. There is immediate satisfaction in smoking a cigarette, especially if you are addicted or just 'craving' one.

I am salsa.

How about cigarettes make you happy and relieve stress, but if smoke say, 5, after that if you try to go without smoking you become very ill for some time. This illness could represent withdrawl. This way, if you decide to start smoking, you'll be forced to go out and look for cigarettes, or you'll be forced to stay inside and rest while going through withdrawl for a day or two.

On 3/26/2016 at 1:27 PM, dannyisdude said:

How about cigarettes make you happy and relieve stress, but if smoke say, 5, after that if you try to go without smoking you become very ill for some time. This illness could represent withdrawl. This way, if you decide to start smoking, you'll be forced to go out and look for cigarettes, or you'll be forced to stay inside and rest while going through withdrawl for a day or two.

how long between smokes before withdraw, would it be days or hours. or it could slowly become more common as you smoke more. also i would say make the number of smokes between 3-20 with possible traits effecting it.

On 3/26/2016 at 4:27 PM, dannyisdude said:

I like where your head is at with this idea, but this isn't how someone feels when in withdrawal of cigarettes. You don't get sick like you would with heroin withdrawal, you more or less just get agitated, irritable, and stressed out. Nervous at the worst. It also lasts for more like weeks, not just a few days.

Everyone is a bit different though. If I smoke just 1 every 2 weeks or so I personally don't have any issues.

1 minute ago, CaptKaspar said:

I like where your head is at with this idea, but this isn't how someone feels when in withdrawal of cigarettes. You don't get sick like you would with heroin withdrawal, you more or less just get agitated, irritable, and stressed out. Nervous at the worst. It also lasts for more like weeks, not just a few days.

Everyone is a bit different though. If I smoke just 1 every 2 weeks or so I personally don't have any issues.

I honestly have no clue what a withdrawl from smoking is like. As I've never smoked and I'm not planning on it. So maybe it could make you very unhappy, stressed, and feel a bit crappy, whatever the moodle for that is.

On 3/28/2016 at 5:09 PM, dannyisdude said:

I honestly have no clue what a withdrawl from smoking is like. As I've never smoked and I'm not planning on it. So maybe it could make you very unhappy, stressed, and feel a bit crappy, whatever the moodle for that is.

You could always look up some stuff. I dont have a clue about Cars but i still somehow wrote the equivalent of a 16 page doc on it. Internets is friend.

I think that a small (-5?) reduction in boredom and unhappiness would work better than the current effects, and have it count toward exertion and/or against max endurance?

If that's too OP, set it so that you only get the boredom reduction unless you're "fed" or better.

It's more realistic than these magic 100-proof whiskey bottles that make you less unhappy and less hungry, and being able to chew beta-blockers and sleeping pills like gum with no side-effects...

The main point is that ATM nobody smokes. We need people to smoke.

I think that the best idea i read was the stress and unhappiness reduction but fitness malus gained, it's quite realistic, and perhaps it could affect your running stamina.

Also i really really hope we'll have a smoking animation sooner or later, that would the best thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2016 at 7:11 PM, CaptKaspar said:

I suggest instead of a happiness decrease, they decrease your fitness level. Sure you can smoke one to decrease stress (maybe boost happiness), but it would come with the offset of not being able to run as far and maybe decrease your fitness XP gain rate (possibly even send it decreasing). 

I think this would be more accurate and realistic.

good idea

It could be as simple as this: Smoke and you get a bordem and stress reduction, with diminishing returns.

Stop smoking and you get elevated stress and unhappiness for a set period of time.  As far as affecting health and stamina, you would have to smoke for quite some time I would imagine. I doubt there are enough cigarettes in the game world to get you to that point.   You could smoke them too fast, however (like a med O.D.) and get the queasy moodle for a time.