Metalworking *spoilers*

Zorak

Maybe a person with a blowtorch and a high enough metalworking skill would have the option to right-click a railroad track and collect rail to shape into an anvil? Perhaps an early version of the anvil could be the option to right-click on the ground and place a log for low-level anvil work. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Strats said:

Maybe a person with a blowtorch and a high enough metalworking skill would have the option to right-click a railroad track and collect rail to shape into an anvil? Perhaps an early version of the anvil could be the option to right-click on the ground and place a log for low-level anvil work. 

Or just add a hackasw to the game. Either way, realistic ways to go get a nice big hunk of metal for all your pounding needs.

3 minutes ago, Rocco36 said:

I'm surprised how we're going to see blacksmith profession implemented in this game before we can brew alcohol/spirits or even use a wooden stove to keep warm :D

I don't think its been that long to consider those 2 a 'lost art' yet.

Perhaps metal working could be a gateway to those things.

I think its technically called the "Metalworker" profession, right? Maybe the name could be changed to Factory Worker or something to do with mining, since Kentucky has a history of coal mining and apparently has some history in manufacturing. 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining_in_Kentuckyhttp://www.kentuckytourism.com/explore/kyfacts/facts.aspx

1 hour ago, Strats said:

I think its technically called the "Metalworker" profession, right? Maybe the name could be changed to Factory Worker or something to do with mining, since Kentucky has a history of coal mining and apparently has some history in manufacturing. 

Maybe make factory worker a kind of hash between metalworker and electronics. Kinda like how the engineer is a mash between electronics and carpentry.

If you want to make some explosives, but also want to forge some metals, then that could be the solution. If you want straight out metalworking, pick metalworker profession.

22 hours ago, zomboid123 said:

So since we have fully jumped in to wackyland and thrown realism out the window can we get some realistic things that were deemed wacky in the past now? Reloading ammo? I promise you more kentucky resident know how use a reloading press than a smelting furnace.

What's so unrealistic about being able to do a job in your specialized profession?

On 24/03/2016 at 10:23 PM, zomboid123 said:

So since we have fully jumped in to wackyland and thrown realism out the window can we get some realistic things that were deemed wacky in the past now? Reloading ammo? I promise you more kentucky resident know how use a reloading press than a smelting furnace.

Agree with the idea that hardly anyone would know how to use a smelter, but how would they implement ammo crafting?

If they make it so you can make your own bullets, it'd end up being too powerful.

If it was like the crap in New Vegas, where you take apart a bullet and make it into a new marginally better bullet, then i'd rather just not have to deal with all that fumbling. There'd be like 90 new items to cart around with no noticeable difference in quality...just like New Vegas.

4 hours ago, Spracky said:

What's so unrealistic about being able to do a job in your specialized profession?

It's like a car mechanic crafting his own car in the middle of the zombie apocalpyse. There would be hundreds of cars everywhere ready for the taking, why would anyone build a new car in the first place?

Sure, 10+ years later, all that stuff would start becoming relevant again, when the old civilization starts to fade away. But that's an entirely different era, an era that isn't going to happen in Zomboid anytime soon.

So here's my suggestion for a good source of metal for an avil: An anvil...

Edited by ZombiesLoveBrainiacs

2 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

It's like a car mechanic crafting his own car in the middle of the zombie apocalpyse. There would be hundreds of cars everywhere ready for the taking, why would anyone build a new car in the first place?

Sure, 10+ years later, all that stuff would start becoming relevant again, when the old civilization starts to fade away. But that's an entirely different era, an era that isn't going to happen in Zomboid anytime soon.

So here's my suggestion for a good source of metal for an avil: An anvil...

Fair enough, but this is way different then making an entire car. Sure, it might not be the most realistic, but it's not extremely far fetched for a metal worker. As for the anvil, crafting one should be out of the question in my opinion as well. Finding a legitimate anvil on the other hand seems rediculous as well. Maybe finding some metal I-beams (or whatever they're called) in construction sites could work? 

3 minutes ago, Strats said:

From what I'm hearing so far, it doesn't look like we'll see anything ridiculous like mines, correct? It seems that iron may only be obtained by smelting down silverware, hammers, and what not, but am I wrong? 

Right, I believe that's the idea. Back to what I said about metal I-beams, I looked and there are some laying on the ground in Muldraugh, West Point, and McCoys. These are generally made of steel so they should be strong enough to work as an anvil right? I might be on to something for once...

So...if the metal barricade are nearly imperious to zombies.

Then we will need metal door instead of metal barricaded doors. Because we will need to able to use that door to go in/out. Give us owner's key while you're at it for multiplayer.

Limit Sledge hammer to brick/wood walls destruction only and metal wall should able to protect you from sledge.

If we can't make swords yet. Then allow us to make high end vanilla weapons like fire axe and hunting knifes.

I like metal worker idea, I really do. But, c'mon... When are you going to add dragon and dragon riding? Also we already have the mop ingame, I want to be able to fly around on it and play quidditch,

Then I'll be able to hold the first game of the triwizard tournament, but... with zombies.

Actually I take it back, I now see that the metalworker profession is a gateway to adding the prongs on my nimbus 1993.

1 hour ago, Spracky said:

Ha, you joined a month ago and already know about the dragons. I thought the devs were trying to keep that under wraps and kill the hype.

I didn't have an account then. I've been following this game since the entire world was a single block mainly comprised of a giant park.

Edit: Don't steal the supermarket guy's chips btw...

Edited by King Kitteh

On 20/03/2016 at 10:01 PM, Hydromancerx said:

Having one Forge Item is going to totally mess up  Hydrocraft's tiered system. Please make different levels of items. As it looks now your new Forge has Bricks, Iron Ingots and Steel Ingots all from one item. But in Hydrocraft we separate them out ...

Kiln = Bricks, Pottery, Charocal, etc

Smelter = Copper, Tin, Bronze, Iron, Silver, Gold, Glasswares, Rubber

Blast Furnace = Steel, Aluminum, Nickle, Zinc, Vulcanized Rubber

So please a split them into 3 types of items like a Kiln, Forge and Blast Furnace to represent the different levels of heat. This would really help not break Hydrocraft. Because if people can make Steel Ingot from yours then they never have to make a Hydrocraft Blast Furnace ever again. Which will suck :(

Wat?, Hydrocraft doesn't dictate how the base game is developed. You could just solve that by removing the in-game furnace and replacing it with your own.

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted a ball-peen hammer but only had claw hammers and didn't want to forge a new hammerhead, you could grind one of the claw hammers so that it had a ball, and then polish it if you wanted. For a heavier hammer, you could use one of those really heavy iron hammers. This is basically me suggesting converting one sort of hammer into one of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Here some idead of metal crafting objects (some maybe are already planned or talked about but well)

- outside garbages

-cooking pots- sauce pans - frying pans

-tables

-chairs

-door knob - door hinge

-heaters (for cold winter)

-lamps

-buckets

-windows frame

On 3/18/2016 at 4:22 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Not really a metal worker job to make keys... :D

I'll see what the team think about this

How about putting a key machine (that requires electricity) in the hardware shop. Make the blank keys extremely common inside it. Then the players can take it, and as long as they have electricity, make keys with it.

Its more immersive then having to drag zombies into the house one by one to loot keys for multiple people for a house. I would even suggest putting in doorknob kits in the hardware store (that come with a key). Right now its kinda weird that if you want a key to a place, you need to drag zombies inside a house, kill them, then hope for a key.

Edit: As a side note, I see people posting about shields and such. It would be kinda cool if you could find riot gear in the police station as a rare loot. Shields could perhaps passively boost defense while equipped, but only allow 1H weapons.

Edit Edit: You could also place a key machine in the mall, as department stores have them as well.

Edited by Moose65