Metalworking *spoilers*

Zorak

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As EG said, I'm more focusing on furnitures/existing items (even tho new items are in too), but I know you people want tons of new weapons, but without new anims it's kinda pointless tbh. So it'll sure come in further update, but let's focus on items for now :)

If you have suggestions about furniture/usefull items go for it tho, I may also add blacksmithing to repair damaged metal weapons, making it really usefull!

On 3/17/2016 at 2:11 PM, RobertJohnson said:

They're not out of place, they're the final item made by Mash :D

And no, no katana/swords, it's not from Hydrocraft (I didn't even knew Hydrocraft had forge tbh :D), it's entirely new and it's kickass :D

The point of this is not to bring huge weapons but furnitures, and usable items (nails, scissors, shovel, etc...), point of the game was never to kill thousands of zombies with swords :D

More metal furniture is coming, I'm thinking about them atm!

Really you had no idea? :(

2 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

As EG said, I'm more focusing on furnitures/existing items (even tho new items are in too), but I know you people want tons of new weapons, but without new anims it's kinda pointless tbh. So it'll sure come in further update, but let's focus on items for now :)

If you have suggestions about furniture/usefull items go for it tho, I may also add blacksmithing to repair damaged metal weapons, making it really usefull!

Will these gates be single tile or bigger to fit cars ?

Can we craft shields (yes shield).

Using metal plates to reinforce leather jacket ?

54 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

No armor yet, need animation for those, so no shields too (i said furniture/items, not weapons :D)

Gates will be single tiled, they're the one already existing

Much, much stronger, lockable crate is the big one . . .

Much stronger lockable doors, as well. (They have no purpose now being so weak.)

22 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Much, much stronger, lockable crate is the big one . . .

Much stronger lockable doors, as well. (They have no purpose now being so weak.)

This ! Metal crate + padlock = safe items.

That would make padlocks useful.

How about some metal gas cans,... they can hold some more and can be smelt.
A craftable lamp for a candle to place or move around,...

There could be some items just for smelting them like,...
...some other tools like a wrench (in a later update it could used as weapon) or a spanner (later for repairing cars/parts) or pleirs.
Toolsboxes
Empty cans (found in trash cans or after make one empty ^^ )
Empty oil cans
In metal stones (Is this right? "Stone with metal in it" I mean,.. "metal stones" that sounds not right, or does it(!?) Whats the word for those? If I google for it I just get to some Metalbands. How about "a stone that containing iron" mh,... maybe i should just go for "iron stone") iron stones found with a higher lvl of foraging.
Metal tubs
Metal buckets (same use as the plastik one)
Candelholder (maybe place able)
Chains
A safe (this could be also craft able : 3 )

On 17/03/2016 at 11:20 PM, ld-airgrafix said:

Im all for new items and extra content, but remember, this is a survival game, not a crafting game. 

survival should not be easy. I hope metal working is a high level skill, and not something it can be done on day 1.

Personally, I like the way you can turn down the zombies and get more out of crafting and settling down, but I like the hardcore survival aspect as well. Is there not room for both? Professions add exciting opportunities for both type of player. 

On 3/17/2016 at 3:05 PM, Joshnpk said:

Metal working? This isn't Minecraft it's Zomboid. An average Joe (which is who you are in Zomboid) couldn't set up a working forge in the middle of the deep south, I hope this is a joke or something cause this is honestly stupid and doesn't fit with Zomboid at all.

hell with that, i don't RP an average joe.  i RP me vs. my zombie neighbors....and i'm not an idiot, i can set up a forge using millennium+ old technology.

besides, if you don't like crafting or decide your character is too stupid to pull it off, nobody is forcing you to do it.

Edited by xenoglyph

7 minutes ago, xenoglyph said:

hell with that, i don't RP an average joe.  i RP me vs. my zombie neighbors....and i'm not an idiot, i can set up a forge using millennium+ old technology.

besides, if you don't like crafting or decide your character is too stupid to pull it off, nobody is forcing you to do it.

Average Joe died as a concept with the professions overhaul, anyway. That was kind of the point.

Rather than melting metals, how about varying degrees of scrap? Round, straight, and sheet scrap. Build protective covers for windows, doors, and barricades from sheet scrap; nails from round scrap; knives from straight scrap .etc

Seems more in-line with reality than smelting and cast/die making, surely?

21 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Rather than melting metals, how about varying degrees of scrap? Round, straight, and sheet scrap. Build protective covers for windows, doors, and barricades from sheet scrap; nails from round scrap; knives from straight scrap .etc

We've actually been discussing welding etc. only this morning EG. 

21 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I like that, maybe that could suit low-level metalworking ? The kind of stuff you're limited to when you don't have any forging background/profession but find some DIY recipes.

Just now, deprav said:

I like that, maybe that could suit low-level metalworking ? The kind of stuff you're limited to when you don't have any forging background/profession but find some DIY recipes.

Yes -- certainly being able to put a blade on something or drill holes to mount a handle is well within the lowest levels. Using rasps .etc

4 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

We've actually been discussing welding etc. only this morning EG. 

Great to hear. :D

Yeah, unsure exactly how it would work at the mo, as it's clearly RJ's thing, but my comparison was that low-level welding stuff would look a lot more rough and ready. Kinda like how low-level carpentry looks crap, but better carpentry looks more professional.

My thought was 'What would my Dad do during a zombie apocalypse?' and the answer was to weld the shit out of everything he could put his hands on BUT lots of noise, lots of light...

Just now, Batsphinx said:

Yeah, unsure exactly how it would work at the mo, as it's clearly RJ's thing, but my comparison was that low-level welding stuff would look a lot more rough and ready. Kinda like how low-level carpentry looks crap, but better carpentry looks more professional.

My thought was 'What would my Dad do during a zombie apocalypse?' and the answer was to weld the shit out of everything he could put his hands on BUT lots of noise, lots of light...

Spot welding and cutting with a AO torch really would be rather fun in-game. :D Impromtu weapon, as well.

Having one Forge Item is going to totally mess up  Hydrocraft's tiered system. Please make different levels of items. As it looks now your new Forge has Bricks, Iron Ingots and Steel Ingots all from one item. But in Hydrocraft we separate them out ...

Kiln = Bricks, Pottery, Charocal, etc

Smelter = Copper, Tin, Bronze, Iron, Silver, Gold, Glasswares, Rubber

Blast Furnace = Steel, Aluminum, Nickle, Zinc, Vulcanized Rubber

So please a split them into 3 types of items like a Kiln, Forge and Blast Furnace to represent the different levels of heat. This would really help not break Hydrocraft. Because if people can make Steel Ingot from yours then they never have to make a Hydrocraft Blast Furnace ever again. Which will suck :(

Very excited about metalworking but I have one question with making blade items (knives, axes, future weaponry) are we going to hammer a piece of metal until it turns into a blade? or are we going to be able to use a grindstone to sharpen the flattened pieces of metal into actual blades, or possibly making existing tools sharper?

Spoiler

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/871129-Make-your-own-Grindstone

apparently making grindstones aren't to hard. Just needs cement, sand, a big circular mould, a metal rod and time. This could even work with the carpenter/blacksmith synergy as you could use a wood mold to put the cement in. :D

Two thoughts: 1. Swords should not be craftable. Although a cool concept, sword-forging requires a training not had by metalworkers and cannot simply be taught out of a book to oneself. I understand that Average Joe has long since vacated the premises, but even so, the abilities of some professions, such as the engineers and bombs, are not totally out of question. But swords? I believe that including these would be the melee equivalent of adding machine guns and the like, and would seem out of place. Secondly, could the axes and the crowbars made by metalworking have a greyer texture with a simple wood handle? It would seem a little odd if a newly forged axe came out looking like it came from a factory, no? Sorry for the ramble, it's just that this addition has the greatest potential to twist the game onto the path of extreme unrealism (that is, unrealism that is unnecessary to make PZ playable) and should be handled very delicately.