Animation Suggestion

PintLasher

Just a suggestion, when you fall over a fence, the "recovery" animation should be dependent on how high your panic is!! With high panic resulting in scrambling up again quickly and low panic being like "oh that hurt, gonna take a moment here."zit would really suck to get mauled to death during that 3 or 4 second animation!

I think thats the whole point really.

High panic is the factor that is going to make you trip over the fence (from what i read), so what would be the point of tripping over a fence if there is no consequence? 

The whole point of adding those 3 or 4 seconds is to make the player think before they act jumping around with panic.

2 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Um, I don't think being panicked should give any sort of boost, it kinda defeats the purpose of traits like brave and desensitized...

Maybe make it so the adrenaline junkie will get up quicker, after all they move faster when panicked.

I think he meant the duration of the fall is a tad too long, hate to trip and have zombies munch on my character while he is casually dusting himself.  Im sure developers have tested or will test this before releasing it.

I am quite sure the biggest reason for the falling animation is BECAUSE zombies now have a change too maul you. ;)

It will be a dangerous thing to balance, they should hit a spot where the player thinks "well, I shouldn't have jumped the fence with high panic", and not "well, the RNG rolled a 1 so I died"... but I have all the faith in the world in the developers that they will get it right.

Regarding how quick you can recover, gameplay wise it doesn't make sense that panic would help you, it would make some good traits bad :)

Or.... you could stop by the fence, and then hop it and then start running again. 

We could argue how long it takes to get up after you face plant at 15+ MPH directly onto hard soil. you hit hard enough you could entirely black out for a good long time. I've gone face down after jumping a fence. Its not something you shake off so easily, it hurts like hell and the sudden pain and fall terror causes disorientation, at least it did to me. 

I think what was presented strikes a nice balance between a jump up and run and the other more terrible consequences like blacking out or winding yourself. Both of which would probably mean instant RNG death. 

You would be surprised what sort of motivation panic and adrenaline can give you. I mean falling over a fence isn't so bad, the only way you would end up like the guy pictured on the video is if you somehow either A) landed completely flat on your back or B) managed to hit the ground square on the head. The animation used isn't a realistic scenario (simple toe catch and roll, heh we've all done it) for being out of action for that long when your life is on the line. If such a thing were to happen to any of us that weren't obese, getting up and continuing to run for your life would be a very quick thing indeed. Maybe add a random chance of a *critical* fall? I hope I've explained this a little better. But it absolutely does make perfect sense that panic would help motivate you.

9 hours ago, PintLasher said:

I mean falling over a fence isn't so bad, the only way you would end up like the guy pictured on the video is if you somehow either A) landed completely flat on your back or B) managed to hit the ground square on the head.

Watch the video again and see the huge blood spatter when he falls over the fence. That was not light fall.

Also note it wasn't a failed jump. He literally ran straight into the fence. This might be a lack of animation, but it looks like the player didn't attempt to clear the fence.

The devs are also making it so panic makes it more likely for you to trip. Why would they make it more likely for you to fall, but then compensate with faster getup?

Again, the adrenaline junkie trait makes you faster when panicked. Because they're pumped with adrenaline, then perhaps that might be a reason for them to get up faster. Otherwise no thanks.

sorry to hear that PintLasher :(

There'll be all manner of factors that tie into how long you're on the ground, whether you get injuries in the fall, and whether you fall in the first place. Panic like others said is a big one, clumsy / graceful and other traits and skills will also factor. Another outcome will be the character chickening out at the last second and coming to a stop. If you're surrounded by zombies and are panicked and sprinting (that's not 'running' btw, that's a specific high speed sprint that's triggered) then you're likely to be 'do or die' about it. You may get lucky, you may fall on your face and knock yourself out and get eaten, or you may get away with a broken wrist or ribs (:S) we can massage everything with the Sadistic AI Director / Governer when that starts coming more into things - if it feels you deserve to get away, then you may get a bit of a fate nudge in that direction. If you've been nothing but reckless, you may just get what you deserve. We will try and balance these things to only happen rarely, or if people push their luck, and try not to instakill people with it all the time.

In short though, if you want to be sprinting and vaulting fences, then build a character at home doing stuff like that - I don't want to say parkour but there are plenty of traits, professions and pastimes that may help toward making an athletic, graceful character who can quickly get around in interesting ways. We're doing a lot with character locomotion.

1 hour ago, PintLasher said:

I just had a simple fall on Saturday night and literally broke my ribs. So yeah, kindly ignore this suggestion, took me a long time to get up

Sucks there isn't an "Empathy" button like facebook. Hitting Like on your accident seems crass. Yea, sorry to hear about that. Falling really sucks. 

I can't wait for the animation update!! You guys are amazing Lemmy, keep doing what you're doing, glad to hear it's more complicated and more thought out than simply a 50/50 roll of the dice. I suspected as much but thought I should provide some input seeing as you guys really do listen. But man, how wrong I was in assuming that falling over has no consequences. Nice to see the randomness (based on traits) you guys will be adding to it. I really didn't expect to break a rib when I was running for a low cross and tripped. But I instantly thought of this topic I made when it happened and laughed a little inside at the irony of it. Can't wait to see what you guys make next

While we talking about new animations and stuff.... I really wouldn't mind being able to carry a shield in my second hand. :> police shields and self-made wooden shields are strangely way too uncommon in zombie lore, imo.

12 hours ago, Lexx2k said:

While we talking about new animations and stuff.... I really wouldn't mind being able to carry a shield in my second hand. :> police shields and self-made wooden shields are strangely way too uncommon in zombie lore, imo.

Probably because zombies are so grabby. Shields are used to deflect or protect yourself from an incoming blow, a zombie would probably just latch onto it (they already grab onto you if you get too close).

I can't really imagine why you'd use one, you can already push zombies away with regular weapons so there's no point there. Are you thinking pvp? Because that might make sense, but it'd be a pretty limited item.

Also in the new animation video you can see the guy knocking zombies over by running into them a bit. So still no need for a shield there.

What exactly did you have in mind for shields anyway?

41 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

Probably because zombies are so grabby. Shields are used to deflect or protect yourself from an incoming blow, a zombie would probably just latch onto it (they already grab onto you if you get too close).

I can't really imagine why you'd use one, you can already push zombies away with regular weapons so there's no point there. Are you thinking pvp? Because that might make sense, but it'd be a pretty limited item.

Also in the new animation video you can see the guy knocking zombies over by running into them a bit. So still no need for a shield there.

What exactly did you have in mind for shields anyway?

If they grab your shield then its win for you, they wont bite your arm and you can just drop shield. And shield bash hit hard.

Shields can be used to effectively block narrow corridors. Wanted to post a video from that one scene in 28 days later, but was unable to find anything useful. What a shame.

Anyway, that's for big shields. Small shields make it *a lot* easier to parry attacks (if you know how to handle it). Also you can use it as a weapon- bash with it, push with it. Less dangerous than doing it with your bare hands. Shields are weapons as much as they are used for defense.

13 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Shields are great for pushing and bracing yourself against a mass- a big use of them in ancient times.  They come with the added benefit of putting a physical barrier between you and your attacker, and in the zombie apocalypse that's a huge deal.  

In this game I find myself in the situation where backing away is my only option, but it's incredibly dangerous because they're actively trying to swarm me.  I knock one back and three more rush forward.  This is especially when a shield would come in handy, as theoretically you could just hold it out in front of you and back away without worrying if one of them scratches your shield, since it's not you.

9 hours ago, Quigleyer said:

snip

18 hours ago, Lexx2k said:

snip

22 hours ago, Zorak said:

snip

All good points. If it's a large shield and you hold it infront of you, that seems like a neat thing. Stop scratches and bites from hitting you, perhaps turning them into push attacks, or just making zombies latch onto the shield (and then maybe you can push with the shield to make them fall over). The idea of blocking many of them off with the shield seems a bit farfetched though, either there wouldn't be that many zombies, or if there were they'd push you over.

Parrying seems like a good idea with a small shield, well, more of a directed block. Use it to push zombies over better and block their bites (would need skill I assume). Small shield seems a bit moot for placing a barrier between you and zombies, if you don't do anything (just holding shield out), they'd still attack around it, which makes sense.

Anyway, my original point with the shield was that it wasn't really necessary when fighting zombies 1v1 or in small groups, because you can already push them over. And when the group is large enough that you can't push them over fast enough, a shield wouldn't really help (they'd push you over)).

I don't really need a shield in the game, but I don't think it's too out of place. The military would have shields, not sure if local police force would. Could definitely make your own from wood or metal though.

A shield would be helpful inside a building, in a corner, or in a doorway or narrow hallway where they can not come at you from the side, and are all in front of you. If they are gnawing on your shield, they're not gnawing on you. With no shield, even if you've got armour on, if they were all all groping at you then your weapon arm would have difficulty swinging or stabbing, and you might have to resort to a dagger as the dog-pile commences. Having a shield in front of you would create space in between you and them, leaving your other arm at liberty.

I feel like I need to share my thoughts on the subject. I got some mixed feelings about this.

I was in plenty of f*cked up situations to say that even if I fall and break my ribs, sprain wrists, no pain nor small injury would prevent me from getting up in a second if there are dozens of flesh eating corpses behind me. The only way for them to get me is if I loose my consciousness. Highly unlikely, borderline impossible if we're talking falling down while running, so rather than that - game wise - if you'd hit your head tripping over you would get a drunk moodle in for like 30 seconds but that's it.

Also this shouldn't be based on panic levels as what if you are drugged with beta blockers -suddenly you don't give 2 shits being eaten alive? :P

Looking at the released video it seems to me this could become just a cheap way to die in a game. Personally I would rather have a better (proper) zombie grabbing mechanic making them harder to fight in numbers. Or leaving out how easy it is to knock them down like it was shown in the video.

+1 for the shield though, seems a lot of ppl would think of such protection in ZA scenario :)

This topic has got me thinking. Whilst it's not an animation, tripping over fences, running around while panicked etc I would say there is a good chance of dropping stuff. How about another consequence of running/falling, whilst panicked, is that you have a chance of dropping stuff that is not zipped up in a bag. Would also make you think through what you put in bags and what you carry in the main inventory. If the animations work correctly, do you double back to grab the axe you dropped, risking a mauling or do you run for the hills and damn the axe.

Archived