Anyone else having trouble maintaining body weight?

BoogieMan

You need to eat beyond a surplus of 1500 calories to gain weight.

If your calorie deficiet is geater than -1500 you'll continually lose weight.

This means you must eat high calorie foods rather than filling foods to maintain or increase your weight.  This also means the caloric value of food items actually doesn't determine how much weight you should expect to gain or lose, confusingly.

Example: You spend the day running around and fighting zombies. You're in the hole by -3500 calories and are losing weight. You'll have to eat 2000 calories or beyond to stop losing weight. To gain weight, you'll have to eat beyond 5000 calories.

For a sedetary lifestyle, you need around 1500 calories a day to maintain your weight. However, if you're already in the hole from prior days, you'll have to eat more. Hunger value is just how filling a food item is (e.g. an entire pie is both very filling and has a very high calorie count).

Below 30 kg, you start to die. Above 120 kg (?) you cannot run fast.

12 minutes ago, Strats said:

Interesting. Will the rate of decline slow as weight gets lower, or is it more dependent on activities?

I'm pretty sure it's only weight gain or loss that's actually scaled: the less you weigh, the slower you lose weight / faster you can gain weight. The opposite is also true for fat characters.

It's, admittedly, a bit confusing when written down like this. :/

42 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You need to eat beyond a surplus of 1500 calories to gain weight.

If your calorie deficiet is geater than -1500 you'll continually lose weight.

This means you must eat high calorie foods rather than filling foods to maintain or increase your weight.  This also means the caloric value of food items actually doesn't determine how much weight you should expect to gain or lose, confusingly.

Example: You spend the day running around and fighting zombies. You're in the hole by -3500 calories and are losing weight. You'll have to eat 2000 calories or beyond to stop losing weight. To gain weight, you'll have to eat beyond 5000 calories.

For a sedetary lifestyle, you need around 1500 calories a day to maintain your weight. However, if you're already in the hole from prior days, you'll have to eat more. Hunger value is just how filling a food item is (e.g. an entire pie is both very filling and has a very high calorie count).

Below 30 kg, you start to die. Above 120 kg (?) you cannot run fast.

Oh great. now I should also care about sustaining weight... in addition to keeping character not peckish.

Maybe spamming potato (not potato chips!) is not recommended as well from now on. right?

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'd say just ignore the first 1-2 hunger levels entirely. It's really meant to be more of a suggestion rather than a requirement.

I cant wait tor read the steam fourms where people are going to be so god damn confuse by this.

From what i seen, most people still eat away 1/2 of any food to keep the peckish moodle at bay, either they notice the weight loss and start asking what the hell is going on or they lose their character due to starvation 1 or 2 months in.

Is gonna be one hell of a ride                                                                                                                   

Edited by Blasted_Taco
He aint my boy but the brother is heavy

1 minute ago, Strats said:

What do you mean by starve? If I eat whenever pecking appears, then I shouldn't be starving, correct?

You're only filling your stomach with something. The hunger reduction of a food item doesn't represent its nurtitional content.

I'm not sure if the starvation moodle itself still is punishing, though.

First, a note that I've been doing the nutrition testing since its first build, so I've got a fair grasp of how it works from a player perspective. Starvation isn't really 'killing' you like it did before. Its just a moodlet that tells you "hey your feeling" which is more the psychological end of it. It is worth paying attention to, but its not the must eat in the next 2 hours or perish that it was prior. Yes, you'll lose weight, but this system is more like real life. Its not something you need to pay constant attention to, it is something you can't ignore though.

Even if you start out obese you will eventually not be obese if you continually ignore being hungry. That said, You'll have a full month in cases of obese players not eating AT ALL before your not obese anymore. The caloric deficiency that EnigmaGrey mentions is "capped" so at the worst case, your limited to a set "magic number" that will not go past this point. So, while you don't need to calorie count, you do need to have a "calorie resupply" plan. You simply cannot ignore eating forever.

In my opinion, this system is a lot more fun, because your not dying because you couldn't find food on day 32. Instead, you'll get weaker and weaker and if you haven't found food a few weeks later, then you will likely perish. That is, of course, if your still alive from the zombies. It makes long term survival a lot more painful by promising you that you'll die of eventual starvation if you don't take precautions to avert that disaster.

I will say that currently it is still very difficult to survive 'off the land', but, for players who are used to running from house to house looting non-perishables will likely not have a lot of problems, except the normal "zombie ate my brains" problems. I've been playing hardcore survival in all but one of my tests and I've yet to die from starvation.

Though my non-hardcore survival test is me living off the land without zombies. This test is not going very well due to fast rotting plants and a lack of trapping success; I may have to resort to fishing instead of trapping, which means making the move from the west farm in Muld to West Point's river, and with my many crates of gear that is not a trivial task. (I should note, I am taking steps to burn calories as if I was playing hardcore survival including but not limited to: excessive running and fatigue/exhaustion, building ridiculous defenses, and supply runs to far off locations.)

Edited by makkenhoff

Interesting system, that's sure for. Thanks for the info. Perhaps a bit tricky with the default 30 minute days, while still taking care of business. At least when you're new to it. Until then I think I may select the 1 hour days. Still would prefer a 45 minute day option to split the difference.

Can you mod the day timer somewhere? Anyone know what file the setting is stored in?

Edited by BoogieMan

I am Underweight at 66 kg. One problem I am having on IWBUMS is that prepared dishes (soups, sandwiches) do not give caloric information so it is tough to gauge how much to eat. For now i am just eating all the time really, but not gaining much weight.

I LOVE all the new recipes. Being able to add canned veggies to soups is freaking AWESOME!