Don't make vehicles super rare

Neutz

So we all know vehicles are coming, this is more about immersion than anything.

I'm really hoping vehicles aren't going to be a rarity like they are in DayZ for example, hopefully they can be balanced so that its more about them being a huge risk in driving one than it is finding one, and the player has to decide if it is really worth it.

PZ has done such a good job so far in keeping the player immersed and with the new animations coming soon its gonna be a huge step forward as well.

But i'm hoping something like this is the sort of scenery we will see around towns, highways and Louisville once its added.

Pic from The walking dead

Walkingdead_zherd.jpg

As it is the world seems kind of empty without out them, In the real world cars play a huge role and just because there is a Zombie apocalypse doesn't mean they would just "vanish".

Of course there is the issue of variety, TIS would have to make a large amount of models so that its not just the same vehicles over and over and of course that is more work.

I'm interested to see how they play out and look forward to the inevitable mondoid regarding them :)

Surely i'm not the only one that's concerned about this though

Neutz

Edited by Neutralnz1

Yeah, I don't think they should be rare, I mean. Some people will try to drive away in their car sure, but a lot of people will have been zombified before they had a chance to escape.

However, although I think they should be fairly common, getting into a car and driving off shouldn't be too easy. (You shouldn't be able to escape a horde by jumping in a nearby car... Unless you were very lucky and it was unlocked, key in ignition, fueled, working and had power)

First of all, in order to get into the car you'd need to smash a window or something. if the car still had power this would definitely set off the car alarm, bringing unwanted attention. Also, once inside, you'd need to hot wire the car, this shouldn't be easy and might take a while.

Even then, once you have the car able to turn on, you might face other problems. No electricity, you might need to jump start the car. Engine is broken, you'd need to repair or swap out parts. Also, no fuel, you'll need to fill the tank with petrol.

These things could just be random (person left lights on and so battery died, ext). But it could also have been deliberate, eg. someone took engine parts from the car, siphoned the gas and such.

Basically, I don't think cars themselves should be rare, but they should require a lot of effort to get working.

Edited by King Kitteh

Talking about fuel made me think about generators, how come I need to be an electrician to use it? I can understand maybe not everyone (at least in 2016) would know how to use a generator but in 1993, most probably would. At least if you start in a house with a generator that is your house, you should be able to use it cause... why would he have a generator otherwise? :P Or I think is there an instructional manual? Most generators (or just some) have those crappy labels on the side not fully demonstrating how to use it, maybe if we could try and have a fail rate or something? It just seems a little unnecessary for an electrician to only be able to do it.

Anyway, there was an old audio of an interview about PZ on YouTube where Lemmy said that he wants cars filling up the highway so I don't think we have to worry about their rarity, but only the rarity at which they'll work. Which I think will be high. Most will be siphoned for fuel, most batteries may be dead or the car will be too wrecked to use, though I'm sure a good few will work. Also the amount of loot will probably be easier to find in cars like some food mostly or maybe a weapon. Hopefully I can find that video because there were some really cool things mentioned I don't think were mentioned anywhere else, whether they're still planned I'm not sure.

I agree with you, cars really should be just about everywhere. The streets in this game or so empty, but I live in Louisville and the streets are rarely ever empty. There are cars "everywhere" . And if there was a zombie apocalypse, the roads would be pretty much entirely blocked. 

That is why I am not so sure about "driving" cars. The roads would be really messed up and clogged. You would have to either only drive around the edges or spend all day towing cars and making paths for yourselves. 

As for the cars themselves. I figure most people will get stuck in gridlock and abandon their cars. So as if you are in town, there are probably working cars everywhere. Just need to have electronics skill to hotwire the car. Unless the battery is dead, then you hit a hardware store or something. but a normal battery thats been sitting should last maybe 100 days before you are screwed and need to start jumping cars. But once you get your first car running, you can charge that battery with the alternator, then take it out, grab some cables and then use that battery to jump any car you want. 

One thing that isn't really in the game even now is that Gasoline doesn't last forever. Without any new supplies, what is available won't be useful after about a year. The game takes place in 1993, so there aren't solar cars or any solar panels. Its 2016 and I live in Louisville and I still rarely if ever see them here. Kentucky has always been Big Coal. 

14 minutes ago, Slice985 said:

That is why I am not so sure about "driving" cars. The roads would be really messed up and clogged. You would have to either only drive around the edges or spend all day towing cars and making paths for yourselves.

I don't think the cars are intended for a Sunday drive through the streets and such. More for moving a bunch of equipment from base to base (you'll probably be able to shove a lot of stuff in the boot).

You'll most likely be using them to travel between towns and to remote areas, going down the highways and the outskirts of towns. I'm pretty sure they want players to just be walking and sneaking around in the towns themselves (you'd probably get found out instantly if you tried driving there anyway). Perhaps in multiplayer people could work together to clear the streets enough for people to drive.

Although, when they add cars, adding something like a motorbike wouldn't be too much harder I think. A motorbike would let you navigate the streets with the speed, but not the storage.

(Although I still totally want a regular bicycle).

19 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

I don't think the cars are intended for a Sunday drive through the streets and such. More for moving a bunch of equipment from base to base (you'll probably be able to shove a lot of stuff in the boot).

You'll most likely be using them to travel between towns and to remote areas, going down the highways and the outskirts of towns. I'm pretty sure they want players to just be walking and sneaking around in the towns themselves (you'd probably get found out instantly if you tried driving there anyway). Perhaps in multiplayer people could work together to clear the streets enough for people to drive.

Although, when they add cars, adding something like a motorbike wouldn't be too much harder I think. A motorbike would let you navigate the streets with the speed, but not the storage.

(Although I still totally want a regular bicycle).

I agree, i imagine that muldraugh we will see cars and all of that, but we wont see the same denseity of cars in muldraugh compared to the highway out of Louisevill and the bridge that connects West Point to the mall, same goes to the soon to be made Fort Knox intersection which i am going to give a wild guess of a death-trap to walk into.

I hope we will see cars this year.

I agree streets needs to be filled with cars but only most of them should be broken / out of fuel or need some simple repair.

I also hope there will be a lot of different cars each with unique stats like fuel consumption, max speed, capacity, durability etc

Cars blocking the streets will certainly change the game a lot, fights will be in narrower areas,much easier to get trapped,crawlers popping out from under them unseen , I think it could really change the style of the game (in town anyway).

Be interesting to see if fire will set them burning and if zombies can break windows and drag you out.

I hope we'll be able to live out of our car a bit. Sleeping in it, using it as a large storage. If they ever added camper vans or RVs then the car could have a stove, sink and fridge too.

A base could literally just be a van surrounded by walls with a small farm.

Imagine raiding in MP though, someone just drives off with your base...

Also a bit far-fetched, but modding your car. Reinforcing windows, cutting a hatch in the top for a second person to shoot zombies out of. Maybe even spiked bumper bars so we can run zombies over :grin:

On 3/16/2016 at 3:18 AM, King Kitteh said:

I hope we'll be able to live out of our car a bit. Sleeping in it, using it as a large storage. If they ever added camper vans or RVs then the car could have a stove, sink and fridge too.

A base could literally just be a van surrounded by walls with a small farm.

Imagine raiding in MP though, someone just drives off with your base...

Also a bit far-fetched, but modding your car. Reinforcing windows, cutting a hatch in the top for a second person to shoot zombies out of. Maybe even spiked bumper bars so we can run zombies over :grin:

a spiked front would be pretty ineffective as the blood would reach the windows or cause zombies just to stick to your car. If not that then it would also become useless until cleaned after a few zombies.

6 hours ago, King jjwpenguin said:

a spiked front would be pretty ineffective as the blood would reach the windows or cause zombies just to stick to your car. If not that then it would also become useless until cleaned after a few zombies.

Yea, I thought it wouldn't be very effective but I didn't really know how else to say it. Reinforced bumper bar? Just something to smash the zombies away. If they ever add a train to the train yard maybe we could attach the cow-catcher :grin:

I think there should just be lots of cars, but:

A. They are cluttered together with no way out except the perimeter vehicles

A2. The perimeter vehicles are heavily damaged

B. They require car parts from mechanic shops/other cars

5 minutes ago, Demonic_Kat said:

I am sad about the thought of this. I kinda like the pristine way PZ looks and the "ease" of travel. I'll be sad when I have to run through a bunch of cars I can't move or clear out of the way.

As true as it is i would also like the clutter of vehicles around adding more of a chaotic feel to the world like erosion did. I also feel that adding cars would be not too cluttered in west point and mauldagh (i know i butchered the name.) They are small towns so they may have only a few cars around the town besides the big, out of town roads and a few populated areas. I think it would fit. A nice little feature they could also do is add cars as solid textures just to get things working or show some sign of development with this and show possible placement of things.

I hope the streets are generally clogged with cars, so it would be hard to drive one, but I also hope that every car can be pushed even if they can't be driven. So eventually you could push most cars off the road so you have space to drive. Obviously pushing every car would be slow, but what else would you be able to do? Also the could be pushed to make barricades to block off roads and stuff.

On 3/26/2016 at 1:36 PM, dannyisdude said:

I hope the streets are generally clogged with cars, so it would be hard to drive one, but I also hope that every car can be pushed even if they can't be dr?iven. So eventually you could push most cars off the road so you have space to drive. Obviously pushing every car would be slow, but what else would you be able to do? Also the could be pushed to make barricades to block off roads and stuff.

but wouldn't some of thee smaller roads be open.