Elite Zombies

NaomiColt

Sorry if this was posted already. I didn't see it in the list of denied suggestions, at least.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some rare to find, more powerful zombies with different abilities and traits? 

Such as:

- Bloodshower Zombie - Slow and very resilient. When it dies, it explodes in a shower of putrid gore that may infect nearby players - an incentive to kill it with ranged weapons.

- Vomiting Zombie - These leave trails of greenish goo wherever they go. The substance isn't infectious, but slows down and deals acid damage to players if they step on it (damages shoes, too). It also ruins fertile ground and takes ages to go away. This slimy zombie is also more resistant to blunt weapons, and you definitely don't want to push it with your bare hands.

- Siren Zombie - Stronger than most, and yells really loud when damaged (or when detecting a potential victim), attracting other zombies to it. 

- Carapace Zombie - This zombie displays hard chitinous scabs over its skin. Hard, tough and very effective at breaking doors / windows.

- Spore Zombie - This seemingly regular zombies emanates a yellow miasma of disease. Other zombies that stick close to it for a while become temporary carriers, with smaller surrounding disease clouds (but lose the property if they stay away from Spore Zombie for too long). The miasma could contain a number of diseases, from annoying to lethal (maybe identified by the color of the cloud).

- Racer Zombie - Although fragile, this guy runs really fast. It does not goes toward players at first - it prefer to circle them before attacking, almost like taunting. Other zombies in its surrounding area are also upgraded one speed level (slow shamblers to fast shamblers, for instance).

- Drowned Zombie - These zombies spawn near bodies of water, and sometimes rise from water when the player is dangerously close to it. There is a very small chance to "catch" one of these while fishing, too...

- Hunter-Killer - Found mostly in wooded areas. This nocturnal zombie moves silently and walks faster through vegetation than others of its kind. It is almost blind, but has a very keen sense of smell and good hearing. They usually stay hidden in dark places by day, when they are slower and less alert.

- Devourer - This zombie is big and bloated. It eats corpses and, more rarely, even other zombies. It has three stages - one stronger and larger than the other. If left alone to feed, it becomes huge and very hard to kill. As expected, Devourers are drawn to places where players killed many zombies.

- Haunt - These look like normal zombies by day, but their skin turns chalk-white by night. They also get faster, stronger and more alert. Some of these seem to be able to open unlocked doors and windows. Darklings also emit a very creepy noise when they are in the vincinity, disturbing sleeping players.

- Zombie Lord - Faster, Stronger, Tougher - and smarter. Has the ability to quickly rally huge hordes, and the larger the horde, the stronger it becomes. The Zombie Lord have one of three abilities: Charge (move very fast toward a target once every 15 seconds); Rally (All surrounding zombies attack and move faster), or Cunning (The Zombie Lord may open doors, windows and even remove barricades to get to its target). 

I could go on and on...

Also, these Elite Zombies could have a chance to drop interesting or unique loot (and achievements). Maybe players receive a special trait when they kill one. Maybe when these guys settle in an area, zombies spawn more quickly and aggressively there (prompting players to go on a hunt). When NPCs are in the game, they could give "quests" asking to kill the E.Zs..

What do you guys think? 

Edited by NaomiColt

4 minutes ago, syfy said:

interesting thought, but they don't want any Special Zombies in the game.

i guess they don't fit in with the lore the game follows. now if someone did these as a Mod............

You're right syfy, I DID read the "How To Write A Good Suggestion" and somehow missed that. Twice!
Nevermind then. Vanilla zombies forever it is.

Edited by NaomiColt

while i think some zombie should have different strength and abilities, this is too overboard and predictable.

I mean, like as you'd expect, a male zombie will hit and grab more powerfully than a female.
But a female is more likely to try and seek protection by others

thus they're more likely to be bitten and turn, rather than just get swallowed in a swarm.

Thus females would sometimes happen be more intact, and thus have better speed.

I do like the idea of zombies falling into shit, getting locked in wardrobes, ect. 

I also think some zombies should be better than others.

Say a zombie that JUST reanimated, it should be stronger, faster, and smarter than any other kind because it's the closest analogue to a living human, the least decayed.

Edited by LeetgamerBoi

Although there won't be any special types of zombie, they may offer some zombie variety in the animation update. Zombies will have clothes relating to their profession and Lemmy said that the police zombies wearing helmets will be immune to critical hits to the head. Also if you look in the video you can see some zombies with one arm, so maybe they will behave differently too.

Just because they're not adding different types of 'infections' doesn't mean they won't have any variety.

3 hours ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

Say a zombie that JUST reanimated, it should be stronger, faster, and smarter than any other kind because it's the closest analogue to a living human, the least decayed.

This already happens ingame, if you go to sandbox options you can set the effects of decay. By default, recently turned zombies are faster and stronger, I don't think they're any smarter though.

I like that there are no special zombies, no custom zombies.. The zombies are pretty slow and stupid and so when you die.. Well.. that was your fault. there are really important settings like "cluster size" and "memory", "sight" and "hearing"  Those can really change how the game is played each time. 

If there are blood spattering shooter zombies. You may be walking down the street and just suddenly die because a shooting spitting splattering zombie just head shot you from a second story and you couldn't even see him.  Or the fat exploding zombie just detonating as soon as you turn a corner.

If this game were like Left 4 Dead and each round was 5-10 minutes, sure. But when you put days/weeks/months into one character to be suddenly assassinated. That really sucks. 

After rereading the post I think I should mention that they aren't so much against different types of zombies, as they are against different types of infections. For example, we already have crawlers, which are just regular zombies with damaged legs (or that are lazy).

So your idea of drowned zombies might be the sort of thing that they'd consider. Although we currently can't swim, and they don't seem to have plans of adding swimming soon. So I'd say chances of zombies being in water is very slim right now. (Would be cool if they would wade through water though, and if we could then build moats :D)

7 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Although we currently can't swim, and they don't seem to have plans of adding swimming soon. So I'd say chances of zombies being in water is very slim right now. (Would be cool if they would wade through water though, and if we could then build moats :D)

I think today I'll do a little sport fishing.. Lah ta dah.. Oh look I caught something. Ohh heavy, maybe a bass... OMG Oh no.. no.. nooo.. ahhhhhh. 

• 3 weeks later...

The only way they'll make variety within zombies is when some of them were like SWAT officers that were zombified and therefore have armor, or athletic people who were faster when they were alive are somewhat faster than others, etc.  Another example: if you kill the zombies outside the grocery stores there's a higher chance they'll hold grocery bags, so there's variety within zombies but it's in a logical way that is still somewhat realistic (even tho zombies themselves aren't really realistic)

On 14.3.2016 at 8:41 AM, NaomiColt said:

You're right syfy, I DID read the "How To Write A Good Suggestion" and somehow missed that. Twice!
Nevermind then. Vanilla zombies forever it is.

I think what is currently implemented is that zombies degrade over time, depending on how long the corpse has been alive for. At least I've noticed something like this (e.g. Some zombies being slower than the others).

19 hours ago, uberevan said:

Another example: if you kill the zombies outside the grocery stores there's a higher chance they'll hold grocery bags

Me Grocery zombie. Me love grocery, no brains, only premium beef cuts. Me love Gigamart. No-rotty zombie go into Gigamart. Steal premium cuts. Me no like no-rotty zombie. No-rotty zombie bad. All hail Gigamart. One true savior.