Quick Drop function please!

Saureco

Would it be possible to code in a new button config that provides for a "drop all bags" button?

After an unfortunate death last night of a good character, I got caught kinda off guard by a couple zeds, which quickly turned into 4 or 5.  I had intended to quickly open inventory to drop my overweight dumbness, but that GUI is just too cumbersome to pull that off in the middle of a shove-swing-stomp fiasco.  I could have made it out had there been a key that allows you to drop any equipped bags (hence, overloading weight).  Granted that any overloading weight on your immediate self would be tantamount to suicide anyway, but being able to drop bags by keystroke (say, ~ or Backspace) could mean the difference between life and zombification.

I would drop everything if it meant a better chance at running away, after all the zombies aren't after my stuff; But, in your panic, you could get tangled up in your backpack straps and not be able to get it off quickly or worse get grabbed by the bag itself by a zed and yanked to the ground. 

Maybe you could balance it on how strong of panic the player is under?

Specifically, I'm getting at user-driven dropping of the bags. Not some automated, panic-driven dropping the bags. If, for example, I have a trait that induces panic, I can't afford to retrace my steps to pick up bags that the software has made me drop.

I find it kind of hard to believe that this happens regularly. If you're playing hardcore survival mode you can still out walk z's.

I personally believe that implementing something like that may make the game a bit too easy. It may take some of the vital decision making out of the game like "should I take ALL of this stuff, or come back for some of it later".

That being said, I do enjoy the hotkeys for weapons, so perhaps if this were implemented it could be run on a hotkey. E.g. 0 for back, 9 for off hand, and 8 for main hand.

I actually like it.. a "DROP EVERYTHING" button.. Press it and your character just starts dropping everything in their inventory starting with the heaviest items. But I would rather not have it unless they implemented 28 days later zombies. Demonic_Kat is right, you can out hobble sprinters at max load with a broken leg in the rain.. Well.. maybe not all that, but definitely max load. If we get more zombie options including really terrifying RUNNING zombies. then yea sure this button with be a life saver. 

After reading responses, might make sense to have it as a button that you either have to mash 3 times in a row or hold down for 1 second to activate.  Would be pretty aggravating to accidentally hit the button and have to pick up your stuff every time.

Not sure if I'm overlooking any details (maybe I had a splinted leg...?), but I was sneaking past a couple zeds when this happened when one turned to draw the attention of the other.  As I tried to run and hop a fence, I hopped into view of like 2 or 3 more.  I just wanted to drop my stuff (only half a block away from base) so I could run and retrieve my stuff again later.  I'd splice in the code myself as a mod, but I'm not there yet.

11 hours ago, Saureco said:

After reading responses, might make sense to have it as a button that you either have to mash 3 times in a row or hold down for 1 second to activate.  Would be pretty aggravating to accidentally hit the button and have to pick up your stuff every time.

It already takes time to unequip bags and such and also to put items on the ground. Just make it so you have to be constantly holding the button to drop stuff. If they stop pressing halfway through nothing should happen.