Re-Animator Mondoid discussion thread

Batsphinx

not incredibly off topic but still vv[offtopic]you know i forgot to mention this before but the visuals remind me of the sims 1 in a nice way with the doubled textures and clothing and animations! like the nurse zombies are just gonna walk to the sidewalk and fizzle out of view or something! [/offtopic]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, strategiry said:

It's unacceptable that GTX 900's + rigs are struggling this much with graphics of such (relatively) low fidelity.  

My MP saves balloon up to nearly 2GB, I have to tweak zomboid to use up to 4GB of RAM to stop FPS freezes, and deal with black walls - even in SP.  It's safe to say this game is not even close to being 'optimized.'  

It's also safe to say that this game is still in Alpha. In standard development phases, this means that the current development is primarily focused on adding additional features.

The new animations need to happen to incorporate additional features such as NPCs we're told. Gotta put the horse in front of the cart sort of thing.

I trust Lemmy when he says they are doing everything humanly possible to keep the system requirements to a minimum. I also understand that the developer's vision of their game is one that is moving forward with features and updates. That the unfortunate reality is that it may be difficult to have their cake and eat it too. Who gets sacrificed? The community who were promised certain features, or the ones with sub-standard rigs? Hopefully neither, but if you had to pick one...

Can you imagine the community outcry if they announced they are not going to implement NPCs so that a small fraction of players can continue to play with their current performance?

Once the game hits Beta, the game will be in the feature complete phase (or very close to it). Then it will be time to polish, optimize, and balance the game. Also, IMO, TIS has done a stellar job along the way of squashing bugs, plugging memory leaks, optimizing code (in some cases rewriting it entirely) and providing a plethora of options to let players adjust their settings. So yes, since I have been following this game for the past few years, they have done a ton of optimizing. However, its sort of asinine to expect it to be fully optimized at this point in development. Its not a finished game.

Remember the game is in Alpha, no where near the final product.

You can always turn off updates (if I am not mistaken) and play the current version forever if needed.

Edited by CaptKaspar

I think it is safe to say that we should wait and see how the new animations actually effect performance before we start throwing the system under the bus in fear of performance issues.

I am sure TIS has a number of rigs that they test every build on. If their head developer says that there won't be much of a performance hit, I assume he is stating that with a bit of data to support it.

How about we let the animations hit IWBUMS and we get some broader testing and feedback from the community before everyone freaks out about it.

Also, in many cases, relatively modern graphics cards can actually handle 3D images better than 2D images. Just because it looks better, doesn't necessarily mean it will hurt performance. For example; the new lighting system and 2X tiles look a lot better, but I actually got a boost to my performance with less stutter and lag.

Edited by CaptKaspar

The game looks so HD now :-D 

I'd like to see the zombies looking a bit more dirty and bloody,

i dunno, their white clothes looked awfully clean and fresh than what i'd expect XD

Also,

Does this mean zombies with face covers (surgical masks, motorcycle  helmets, ect.

Can't bite you?
I think that'd be a great addition honestly.

Moreso on that, 

Will thicker and or stronger clothing grant you more safety? 
I mean, Like Swat armor>firefighter jacket> leather jacket>Sweater

To where it drops the chance of an enemy every time they do the attack actually inflicting an injury like a bite or scratch?

1 minute ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

The game looks so HD now :-D 

I'd like to see the zombies looking a bit more dirty and bloody,

i dunno, their white clothes looked awfully clean and fresh than what i'd expect XD

Also,

Does this mean zombies with face covers (surgical masks, motorcycle  helmets, ect.

Can't bite you?
I think that'd be a great addition honestly.

Moreso on that, 

To where it drops the chance of an enemy every time they do the attack actually inflicting an injury like a bite or scratch?

Lemmy did say that zombies with helmets on can't be crit hit. Don't know about them not biting you, but it definitely makes sense. However, you could still be scratched by them! Dunno about the thicker clothing, but sounds plausible.

Hello everyone, I'm newcomer here

I played zomboid since 0.1.5, but become a member of community only now

About this thread-I have a low spec notebook, and game runs fine all the time, it's laggy only with a huge horde

Maybe you should make a separate branch for testing new animation system?

You can gather data from this test and optimize it, like what you do with the nutrition test

Also guys, you are awesome, thanks for the game;)

Hello from cold and crazy Russia:3

Upd:as I see, when you run into the zombies, they fall down.

maybe that system involves not only NPC and player, but vehicles?

Edited by B33ware

9 hours ago, B33ware said:

Hello everyone, I'm newcomer here

I played zomboid since 0.1.5, but become a member of community only now

About this thread-I have a low spec notebook, and game runs fine all the time, it's laggy only with a huge horde

Maybe you should make a separate branch for testing new animation system?

You can gather data from this test and optimize it, like what you do with the nutrition test

Also guys, you are awesome, thanks for the game;)

Hello from cold and crazy Russia:3

Upd:as I see, when you run into the zombies, they fall down.

maybe that system involves not only NPC and player, but vehicles?

Keep an eye on the IWBUMS threads! The animation build will appear in one of those when it's ready. Don't hold your breath though!

18 hours ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

-snip-

TIS said in some past mondoid that ie. motorcycle clothing will protect you from scratches and bites. I just can't recall to what extent.

7 minutes ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

Or, better yet

They let you run a generator indoors without dying or let you go into a burning building to try and put it out or to retrieve belongings without dying of smoke inhalation.

Apart from nocive smoke, fire/generators have the bad habit of lowering the oxygen rate in the air, and I'm afraid a gas mask won't be enough in those cases. 

57 minutes ago, Teesee said:

Apart from nocive smoke, fire/generators have the bad habit of lowering the oxygen rate in the air, and I'm afraid a gas mask won't be enough in those cases. 

So that's why firefighters always wear an oxygen tank on their backs when running into a burning building! I thought it was because they liked bringing highly combustable gases into an already burning fire. ;)

Edited by CaptKaspar

6 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Only if they make it harder to see, breath, and provide no protection against a virus that is transferred through bites and scratches.

But yeah, I could see some people wearing these.

I always wonder why the hell people on zombie movies always wear gas-masks.

Is like in the movie Jarhead where they make them use gas-masks and other ridiculous items just to look cool in the media, same happens in World War Z where they knew the infection wasnt airbone but they wanted to show all the cool shit.

The new animations look brilliant, there is only one thing i didn't like. The textures for the military zeds in the camo i think would look better if it were a lighter shade of green but maybe its just me, all the other clothing looks and great though! :)

2 hours ago, Neutralnz1 said:

The textures for the military zeds in the camo i think would look better if it were a lighter shade of green but maybe its just me, all the other clothing looks and great though! :)

They tried a lighter green, but testers complained of getting bit by invisible zombies.

There shows different attack moves in this week's Mondoid video. Is this means, different moves can bring different damage to the target? Further more, would the melee accuracy skills increase the chance to activate those critical hit moves during a fight?

10 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I always wonder why the hell people on zombie movies always wear gas-masks.

Is like in the movie Jarhead where they make them use gas-masks and other ridiculous items just to look cool in the media, same happens in World War Z where they knew the infection wasnt airbone but they wanted to show all the cool shit.

The Gas Mask has always represented something "apocalyptic" to people. You see authors for example of Zombie Apoc books sometimes use this Mask on book covers. Its also on Movie covers too (28 Weeks Later for example) and many others. 

So yeah, its associated and deeply embedded within Zombie lore in general. 

Edited by Kelefane