Re-Animator Mondoid discussion thread

Batsphinx

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

Definitely, I'm just after re-arranging my entire room and everything. Have you tried the game with all models on in the mall?

No, but ive been around 100+ Z hordes though. And while the game does get a tad hitchy, its barely noticeable for me. 

Are you saying this lag started after you rearranged your room?

4 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

No. :P I mean I re-arranged my room so there definitely shouldn't be an air-flow problem (even though there wasn't). Definitely try the mall and see if you could serious drops because that's where it gets real. (Try the challenge)

Does it lag in other areas for you too? (besides the mall)

8 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

If is is gonna be more intensive im happy im buying a gtx 950 today.

I have a GTX 970 and I struggle to get above 40fps outside when there are zombies about. And I never get over 30fps in Westpoint when there are zombies in any small groupings so your 950 won't make a blind bit of difference.

On that note whats going on with the optimization of this game? Because I'm very happy with the new animations but lets be honest we all know the performance of this game is pretty terrible, very few people can play at 1920x1080 and get 60fps and with the updated graphics, new animations and especially with the introduction of Louisville it's just going to get worse, a lot worse. 

The new lighting engine and the changes to how the game renders the map (not rendering the empty space above a player(which i'm not sure has been implemented yet)) doesn't seem to have made that massive of a difference performance wise, so is there anything else planned to get the game better optimized?

Edited by Joshnpk

Just now, Kelefane said:

Consider the mall unplayable? or the lag in general when it happens?

The mall is definitely unplayable for me, and also I'd consider the 30FPS and lower when using all models in general so it's why I keep it at 8.

9 minutes ago, Joshnpk said:

I have a GTX 970 and I struggle to get above 40fps outside when there are zombies about. And I never get over 30fps in Westpoint when there are zombies in any small groupings so your 950 won't make a blind bit of difference.

On that note whats going on with the optimization of this game? Because I'm very happy with the new animations but lets be honest we all know the performance of this game is pretty terrible, very few people can play at 1920x1080 and get 60fps and with the updated graphics, new animations and especially with the introduction of Louisville it's just going to get worse, a lot worse. 

The new lighting engine and the changes to how the game renders the map (not rendering the empty space above a player(which i'm not sure has been implemented yet)) doesn't seem to have made that massive of a difference performance wise, so is there anything else planned to get the game in better optimized?

Good and valid points. Perhaps the devs need to run a few optimization passes before they implement these new animations? 

As I said before, a huge lure for this game is that it can currently play on all (well most) walks of life computers. Low/middle/high end. Catering to that kind of wide range in specs is a large audience of folks. Which means more sells and more interest. So if the specs go up too much on this game, all you're going to be doing is cutting out a part of your fanbase. Yeah, its easy to say to upgrade your machine, but not everyone can go out and buy a new one on a whim. Some may never play PZ again. 

Edited by Kelefane

8 minutes ago, Joshnpk said:

The new lighting engine and the changes to how the game renders the map (not rendering the empty space above a player(which i'm not sure has been implemented yet)) doesn't seem to have made that massive of a difference performance wise, so is there anything else planned to get the game in better optimized?

omg i can see it now, Streets filled with zeds. 10 fps. Computer catches fire.

1 hour ago, MadDan2013 said:

Only on all 3D models, other than that I always have it on 8+ 3D models and it runs fine. When it lags with all models, about 10FPS. And also offscreen (So I'm guessing it's my outdated CPU unable to bear it)

I'm guessing the lower you go from 8+ 3D models the better the performance on certain machines? If so,  ever try "PlayerOnly" and see if that helps you in laggy situations you experience?

Just now, Kelefane said:

I'm guessing the lower you go from 8+ 3D models the better the performance on certain machines? If so,  ever try "PlayerOnly" and see if that helps you in laggy situations you experience?

Yeah but I'm okay with it, it doesn't lag with 8+.

I can do 150 3D on screen zombies with 30FPS on my ~$225 rig (At the current exchange rate that's how much it costed me).

60 FPS I cannot maintain anyway so I don't even try, got the game locked to 30 so I don't suffer too much. I'm not TotalBiscuit I don't care.

An option for Player +100 would be ideal for me as it is, I suppose that with updated models and animations Player + 50 would be nice. We need more options there.

I think the mall challenge has possibly 500 to 1,000 zombies, or in-between so I understand how that can be a problem since I don't know any other game that has that many things out to kill you at once with the same level of graphics or higher than PZ.

3 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

I think the mall challenge has possibly 500 to 1,000 zombies, or in-between so I understand how that can be a problem since I don't know any other game that has that many things out to kill you at once with the same level of graphics or higher than PZ.

Some places on the map might not be well optimized too though. Mall could be one of those places. PZ could honestly use a few more optimization passes. In fact, it needs to before these new animations get pushed out IMO

Edited by Kelefane

It's unacceptable that GTX 900's + rigs are struggling this much with graphics of such (relatively) low fidelity.  

My MP saves balloon up to nearly 2GB, I have to tweak zomboid to use up to 4GB of RAM to stop FPS freezes, and deal with black walls - even in SP.  It's safe to say this game is not even close to being 'optimized.'  

11 minutes ago, strategiry said:

It's unacceptable that GTX 900's + rigs are struggling this much with graphics of such (relatively) low fidelity.  

My MP saves balloon up to nearly 2GB, I have to tweak zomboid to use up to 4GB of RAM to stop FPS freezes, and deal with black walls - even in SP.  It's safe to say this game is not even close to being 'optimized.'  

I have a question. Maybe you or someone else can answer this. This is comparing SP vs MP in PZ and its resources. I've personally never played MP. However, my rig is on the lower medium end side and I don't lag much in SP. Yeah, if theres a 100+ Z's on the screen, I get hitchy at times, but its not crippling. So what I'm wondering, is if MP is perhaps higher on the "specs/resource" side than SP is? I have known a few games like this before. Where MP was more resource heavy than SP in the same game. 

But yes, I agree 100%. PZ most definitely needs a few more good optimization passes before even THINKING about coming out with new animations etc. It might be the death nail for a large portion of this games player base otherwise.

Edited by Kelefane

I just have to say my jaw dropped, this new animation system is fucking amazing considering the scope of this game . . . :D

THough I wonder if it would be possible/reasonable to have hats fly off after being hit, for example. Maybe some damage effects on the actual model based on the damage received?

Edited by Spaniard

14 minutes ago, strategiry said:

Save file size has nothing to do with the ability of the game to display a wider range of animations, nor the amount of RAM needed to play online. Even prior to getting a 980ti, I was able to play the game with a large number of 3D zombies despite simply using an integrated Intel HD 4000 chip. It'd say it's pretty well optimized as is.

That said, EasyPickins has found a few memory leaks that are currently being addressed.

However, increasing the RAM of the client shouldn't help at all with black walls, and they certainly shouldn't exist in single player. We've only had three reports so far of these black walls in SP and so far they've been resolved by replacing/removing one's antivirus.

11 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

I have a question. Maybe you or someone else can answer this. This is comparing SP vs MP and resources. I've personally never played MP. However, my rig is on the lower medium end side and I don't lag much in SP. Yeah, if theres a 100+ Z's on the screen, I get hitchy at times, but its not crippling. So what I'm wondering, is if MP is perhaps higher on the "specs/resource" side than SP is? I have known a few games like this before. Where MP was more resource heavy than SP in the same game. 

But yes, I agree 100%. PZ most definitely needs a few more good optimization passes before even THINKING about coming out with new animations etc. It might be the death nail for a large portion of this games player base otherwise.

They should require roughtly the same resources, unless you're actually hosting a server yourself. Mods may make a difference.

What are your specs?

Players whom  can't play with 3D models enabled will still have the 2D pipeline.

I can't at all go against having more optimization for PZ, just because it's not The Witcher III in terms of pretty doesn't mean it shouldn't have great optimization, as said, it's an appeal to the game. It takes me out of the immersion to have a fluctuating framerate. Hopefully this can be put on as high priority as possible. I don't actually think there's system requirements on the Steam page, it just says try the demo? i guess if there were, we'd have far more complaints but I really don't fully feel like upgrading until I know it's been optimized well enough, bear in mind it used to be horrendous back in like build 23? It's definitely come a long way. I've been sadly sucked into the 60FPS group. Even though, somehow, consoles manage to always seem smoother even at a lower framerate than if a PC ran at that framerate. No idea how that is, but to me, it is.

Although I think we're all guilty of looking at a game and ignoring how much resources it requires and it's not just graphics that play a part nor optimization because it doesn't look pretty enough. I still think, to this day that The Witcher II is badly optimized but, how good it looks is an excuse. I think we've gotten WAY off topic though. :P

The animations aren't expected to increase the performance requirements much more than running 3D models currently do, MadDan.

Obviously it's unlikely these are going to be held back if their performance difference is neglegable . . . You'll still have the option to disable it in Options, if necessary.