Re-Animator Mondoid discussion thread

Batsphinx

12 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

I kind of dig how the new stuff looks. I don't see any clashing. I guess people see stuff differently, LOL

But if we are talking about making the world 3D too, wouldn't that almost take a complete rewrite/redo? In other words, it would take years to finish?

God no, I mean making it look 3d not actual 3d.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be easy to mod in new clothing and wearables?

And how in-depth will the clothing and equipment system be? Will we be able to wear a hat + mask + glasses, or an under-shirt with a coat.

That kinda thing, I hope it'll be pretty extensive.

3 minutes ago, silents429 said:

I never said it wasn't practical, the game has been needing animations for various things for a long time now.

But if they wanted to go full 3D 4k textures, with shaders and post processing FX one day, that would not.

I imagine Mash isn't anxious to redraw everything again, or have her work replaced by direct 3D exports, anyway.

We probably won't be seeing a full 3D conversion of the remaining 2D assests.

1 minute ago, sarge997 said:

Will it be easy to mod in new clothing and wearables?

And how in-depth will the clothing and equipment system be? Will we be able to wear a hat + mask + glasses, or an under-shirt with a coat.

That kinda thing, I hope it'll be pretty extensive.

I was thinking that, if it would be posible to have some layers of clothing.

For example, having the torso have a layer of jacket, shirt and underneath a bandage.

Overall i want to see if we are going to be able of who has bandages on or not (under the clothes, lets not repeat what RE2 did)

Just now, Blasted_Taco said:

I was thinking that, if it would be posible to have some layers of clothing.

For example, having the torso have a layer of jacket, shirt and underneath a bandage.

Overall i want to see if we are going to be able of who has bandages on or not (under the clothes, lets not repeat what RE2 did)

Layering has been mentioned as planned in prior mondoids, I'm pretty certain. Whether it'll clearly be visible on the 3D models though? No idea.

So if it were to impact performance, what'd I need to upgrade to to have it not impact performance? :P I'm considering updating my PC and since PZ is my most played game I definitely don't want lag if I can help it. €1500 budget would surely be enough, I hope?

Loving the new look. I have a feeling this will make the game much more immersive, hopefully down the line we can get some gruesome character death animations. There will be nothing like seeing the character you spent month with get ripped to pieces.

I gotta ask, is there a need for the line of sight system to be in play when you die? I don't know if I'm alone on this but I'd prefer it if when you die you could see all the zombies around the screen.

8 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

So if it were to impact performance, what'd I need to upgrade to to have it not impact performance? :P I'm considering updating my PC and since PZ is my most played game I definitely don't want lag if I can help it. €1500 budget would surely be enough, I hope?

Not sure of what that would be American, but I'm sure you can get something decent for that. I know I can build a system that runs PZ great for under a thousand American.

26 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

After everything I've read, if the game runs fine now, it'll run fine after these changes. This isn't Skyrim we are talking about, LOL :)

Edit:

I think the only machines this *might* effect, are on the extreme low end that could borderline play the game to begin with. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by Kelefane

Basically if people want the optimal experience then trying to get a PC that can handle 3d zombies set to all with a decent sized horde on the current build will get the fullest out of the new animation system. That's what's happening in the videos. That's the ideal/recommended specs, and is probably a mid to high range dedicated card territory, but there'll be plenty of configuration and optimization to come that should improve things.. If people are looking to upgrade for it then both graphics card and CPU are the best bets. Graphics card probably wins it though since I'm not sure character animation is a good fit for multithreading since it drives character movement now, so only the base Ghz of the CPU will make a difference.. With graphics cards there's the video memory benefit (getting over a gig of dedicated is a must, more is better) minimizing texture uploads, as well as the core speed of the card drawing the 3D models.

We'll do our best to make the player character ALWAYS 3D even on systems that can not currently support it. This wouldn't be possible on multiple characters however, it'd be too intensive, but would open up the actual additional gameplay mechanics that would otherwise be lost playing with a 2D character. 

TIS, these new animations look absolutely amazing! My jaw hit my keyboard when logging on to check the Mondoid this week! What an awesome surprise! Great to hear this will help NPC development move ahead as well. The new game-play mechanics (fighting, knocking over zombies, tripping over fences, etc) all look fantastic. All around awesome news! I am very very very excited!

Most of my questions have already been answered in this thread, so I'll ask for a request; Since you got us all drooling over these new animations, could we pretty pretty please get a sneak peak at the more 'mundane' animations? I know that you have said in the past that there are literally hundreds of new animations for virtually every action, that some of the animations will be rolled out first and others will follow as they're deemed ready, but I'd love to see some of those mundane actions/animations. I'd love to see sitting, reading, eating, cooking, rummaging in a container, etc. Maybe I'm just being greedy :) Patience is a virtue and I'll do my best to exercise it.

I guess my only question in the video is, where are the visible backpacks? We've been given a sneak peak of those in the past.

Edited by CaptKaspar

1 hour ago, MadDan2013 said:

Cool, thanks guys, can't get 3D models to All currently because it's unplayable so I think I'll upgrade in terms of other games so the upgrade is actually worth it for more than PZ. :P

What are your system specs?

19 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.5Ghz

AMD Radeon HD 6670

4GB RAM

Windows 7, 32 bit. (Not my choice by the way, I'd have opted 64 bit)

How does the game run in its current form to you? Any lag? If so, how bad and how often?

My system is only slightly better than yours, and I experience zero lag. My system also plays Skyrim on medium settings. 

Your windows 7 being only 32 bit might be your biggest bottleneck, as strange as that sounds.

Edited by Kelefane

Just now, Kelefane said:

How does the game run in its current form to you? Any lag? If so, how bad and how often?

My system is only slightly better than yours, and I experience zero lag. My system also plays Skyrim on medium settings. 

Only on all 3D models, other than that I always have it on 8+ 3D models and it runs fine. When it lags with all models, about 10FPS. And also offscreen (So I'm guessing it's my outdated CPU unable to bear it)

6 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

Only on all 3D models, other than that I always have it on 8+ 3D models and it runs fine. When it lags with all models, about 10FPS. And also offscreen (So I'm guessing it's my outdated CPU unable to bear it)

hmm, interesting. I use all 3D models too, and no lag. The only differences in our systems are that I have Win7 64bit and my processor is only a notch higher than yours. In fact, your video card is SLIGHTLY better than mine. I run that ATI Radeon 4350 series. But some people will tell you that the 4000 series > 6000 series though due to how those 6000 series cards were made. So who knows. I guess that part would depend on who you ask. 

Sometimes the way a system is put together and how clean you keep the heatsinks/fans etc can go a long long way in performance. 

Does your case have good air circulation? Its not a laptop is it?

Edited by Kelefane