Re-Animator Mondoid discussion thread

Batsphinx

Just leaving this here...

A nice treat for us all this Mondoid. An update on the new animation system, along with a video that we feel really underlines just how much of an impact it will all have on PZ once it goes live. Alongside the fruits of The Secret Mission it’s a great thing to see in motion!

First the video, then a few explanations…

Background work featuring Martin the animator man has been ongoing for a while now, and we now have a huge library of animations for players and zombies that we’re in the process of implementing. We’ve got everything in the can from core stuff like combat and character movement, all the way to vomiting, rubbing painful body parts and swigging from bottles.

In the recent implementation work one aspect we got working far better than expected were ‘masked animations’ and more specifically ‘upper body only’ ones. This means that we can play animations on the player’s top half (and that of the zombies) without interrupting what their feet are doing. This is proving useful for zombie attacks and player emotes – seeing them work on characters who are standing, walking, sneaking or shambling.

Some things to note about the video:

• Please be aware that not all the zombie and clothing variants are in. You’ll probably notice a lack of ladies, and an awful lot of ‘professional’ zombie. Ladies are coming, but it’s easier to focus on one model at a time. Likewise, there’ll be a bunch more civilian zeds in the final thing, in fact ‘profession zeds’ will likely be found in/around relevant buildings and areas. We just wanted to ramp up the cool hat-wearing zombies during the testing process.
  • Also, bear in mind that if there are any glitches visible in the video or non-synced animations then they’ll be fixed by release.

The new animation system has come on a long way, and we now have what feels close to a working system. There is, however, still some work required before it could be put into internal testing. It’s not clear if this will make it into the Build 34 IWBUMS public test or not, and similarly not clear if Animation or Creative will be first out of the gate. It largely depends on how both of these go, what unforeseen problems we may hit, and which passes the finishing line first.

We hope you agree that it’ll be awesome when it arrives though! It’s fantastic to have the animation system at the stage it’s at so that we can show off all Martin’s amazing work who, like Mash with the Secret Mission, has been working out of the spotlight for so long.

Oh and the ‘easy set-up’ co-op is in testing. There are still a few UI things to sort out, as well as a few bugs that have cropped up, but it’s edging closer.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Just leaving this here...

A nice treat for us all this Mondoid. An update on the new animation system, along with a video that we feel really underlines just how much of an impact it will all have on PZ once it goes live. Alongside the fruits of The Secret Mission it’s a great thing to see in motion!

First the video, then a few explanations…

Background work featuring Martin the animator man has been ongoing for a while now, and we now have a huge library of animations for players and zombies that we’re in the process of implementing. We’ve got everything in the can from core stuff like combat and character movement, all the way to vomiting, rubbing painful body parts and swigging from bottles.

In the recent implementation work one aspect we got working far better than expected were ‘masked animations’ and more specifically ‘upper body only’ ones. This means that we can play animations on the player’s top half (and that of the zombies) without interrupting what their feet are doing. This is proving useful for zombie attacks and player emotes – seeing them work on characters who are standing, walking, sneaking or shambling.

Some things to note about the video:

• Please be aware that not all the zombie and clothing variants are in. You’ll probably notice a lack of ladies, and an awful lot of ‘professional’ zombie. Ladies are coming, but it’s easier to focus on one model at a time. Likewise, there’ll be a bunch more civilian zeds in the final thing, in fact ‘profession zeds’ will likely be found in/around relevant buildings and areas. We just wanted to ramp up the cool hat-wearing zombies during the testing process.
  • Also, bear in mind that if there are any glitches visible in the video or non-synced animations then they’ll be fixed by release.

The new animation system has come on a long way, and we now have what feels close to a working system. There is, however, still some work required before it could be put into internal testing. It’s not clear if this will make it into the Build 34 IWBUMS public test or not, and similarly not clear if Animation or Creative will be first out of the gate. It largely depends on how both of these go, what unforeseen problems we may hit, and which passes the finishing line first.

We hope you agree that it’ll be awesome when it arrives though! It’s fantastic to have the animation system at the stage it’s at so that we can show off all Martin’s amazing work who, like Mash with the Secret Mission, has been working out of the spotlight for so long.

Oh and the ‘easy set-up’ co-op is in testing. There are still a few UI things to sort out, as well as a few bugs that have cropped up, but it’s edging closer.

Wow :o very amazing :) keep up the good stuff

Got a few questions.

Will clothing degrade overtime? 

If I get scratched or bit will It tear a hole In the clothing?

Will NPC's comment on clothing types as such so If I have a chef outfit on will they ask If I was a chef or a military outfit or vice versa?

This looks awesome.

One question: Does this mean that the games specs just got higher? Or will it remain pretty much the same? In some cases, situations like this might even mean BETTER performance. So which way is this going in that regard?

Edited by Kelefane

Just now, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

If is is gonna be more intensive im happy im buying a gtx 950 today.

But question is, how much more spec intensive will it be? If its just a notch higher, it'll be a non issue for still for lower/middle end machines. 

3 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

But question is, how much more spec intensive will it be? If its just a notch higher, it'll be a non issue for still for lower/middle end machines. 

I would say probalby more intensive, All of the new animations and stuff will likely drag down lower end machines. Luckily there will be an option (I assume) to turn off the new animations.

I'd like to know that too, looked like a little bit of frame drop towards the end of the video there. And there are much larger hordes in PZ so I think it's time for me to upgrade, so I'm wondering what rig is possible to get a never-drop-below 60FPS-ever-rig for PZ.

Well, one way to find out for sure, is asking the devs testing it. Do you guys notice any performance differences in a before/after? 

My machine plays Skyrim just fine. So I'm not worried about it. But I'm sure a lot of this games audience has lower/middle end machines because the games low specs are attractive. 

Edited by Kelefane

5 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

I'd like to know that too, looked like a little bit of frame drop towards the end of the video there. And there are much larger hordes in PZ so I think it's time for me to upgrade, so I'm wondering what rig is possible to get a never-drop-below 60FPS-ever-rig for PZ.

It would deffo require a beast. Probably needs like 5 gtx titans.

6 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

Well, one way to find out for sure, is asking the devs testing it. Do you guys notice any performance differences in a before/after? 

My machine plays Skyrim just fine. So I'm not worried about it. But I'm sure a lot of this games audience has lower/middle end machines because the games low specs are attractive. 

Funny you mention skyrim, I'm upgrading my rig so I can play it at a solid 60, Same for fallout 4.

This is jaw-dropping; I mean, who could've thought these would all look so good! Just a few questions though: 1.) Will the zombies always look so clay-like, or could we set them to a flatter version as well? 2.)  Will the animations we saw such as the jumping over the fence be related to the agility stats? 3.) Will profession-zombies drop related loot? I know that this isn't fully done, so if you guys want to keep that stuff secret until later, that's cool. :grin:

1 hour ago, sarge997 said:

Yep, this is what I love to see.

Looks great.

Just hoping it doesn't take as long as npcs :grin:

Well considering the animation system being required for the NPCs the prime reason for a lack of recent progress on the NPCs, that the animation system was started about 2 years after NPCs were, and the animation system needing to be in before NPCs can be released, this pretty much means 100% that it's impossible that animation system can take as long as NPCs ;P

3 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Well considering the animation system being required for the NPCs the prime reason for a lack of recent progress on the NPCs, that the animation system was started about 2 years after NPCs were, and the animation system needing to be in before NPCs can be released, this pretty much means 100% that it's impossible that animation system can take as long as NPCs ;P

Well damn Lemmy, no need to go savage on my ass :evil: