Migraines, Headaches, Vomiting and more!

emilko62

*NEW TRAIT!*

Family man (unofficial name) - You get a bundle of inheritable diseases (e.g. migraines), allergies (rashes, sneezing etc.)

and others.

How it works:

You get randomly selected disease, allergies and etc. which are triggered by certain circumstances and occur over a certain period of time.

Headaches - Headaches are common and i think they should be added in the game, headaches vary from the pain location, the severity of the headache, the cause of the headache and the duration of the headache. (should be a moodle)

Vomiting - Vomiting happens for multiple reasons, drinking too much alcohol, food poisoning, disgusting smells (e.g. a rotting corpse), could be caused by the stomach flu, also formally known as Viral gastroenteritis (i'll get into that later). (it should be involuntary action sometimes triggered by these symptoms)

Photophobia - Photophobia is caused by different diseases and it's basically extreme sensitivity to light, it's usually accompanied by nausea and headaches when exposed to light. (Should be a moodle)

Stomach Pain - Also known as abdominal pain is hard to determine the cause without the help of a medical professional because causes may vary from simple gas to Ulcers. (Should be a moodle)

Migraines - Migraines are caused by:

• Foods. Aged cheeses, salty foods and processed foods may trigger migraines. Skipping meals or fasting also can trigger attacks.
  • Food additives. The sweetener aspartame and the preservative monosodium glutamate, found in many foods, may trigger migraines.
  • Drinks. Alcohol, especially wine, and highly caffeinated beverages may trigger migraines.
  • Stress. Stress at work or home can cause migraines.
  • Sensory stimuli. Bright lights and sun glare can induce migraines, as can loud sounds. Unusual smells — including perfume, paint thinner, secondhand smoke and others — can trigger migraines in some people.
  • Changes in wake-sleep pattern. Missing sleep or getting too much sleep may trigger migraines in some people, as can jet lag.
  • Physical factors. Intense physical exertion may provoke migraines.
  • Changes in the environment. A change of weather or barometric pressure can prompt a migraine.

Symptom's may include but are not limited to:

• Pain on one side or both sides of your head
  • Pain that has a pulsating, throbbing quality
  • Sensitivity to light, sounds and sometimes smells
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Blurred vision
  • Lightheadedness, sometimes followed by fainting

Treatment:

There's a lot of medication's out there to treat the pain of migraines but mainly the way to go through a migraine is just waiting it out. (which could be quite painful)

Viral gastroenteritis - Typically known as stomach flu, Viral gastroenteritis is mainly caused by the Norovirus and the Rotavirus (I will not cover the Rotavirus because mainly children suffer from it and adults only transmit it without experiencing symptoms)

Norovirus - It mainly transmits through contaminated water and food, it can spread from person to person (gives you a good reason not to go into someone's house and to start eating his food or to be too friendly with sickly strangers) (this shouldn't be a noodle nor a trait it should just be a disease which occurs and displays a certain amount of the listed symptoms.) 

Symptoms: 

• Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Abdominal pain or cramps.
  • Malaise.
  • Low-grade fever.
  • Muscle pain.

IMPORTANT! The Norovirus can be fatal and it certainly will be without proper treatment!

Treatment:

There is no specific medicine to treat the Norovirus, though there are natural-ish ways of treating it.

The main way to treat it is by drinking plenty of fluids but that doesn't help in most cases because of constant vomiting

or because of vomiting upon drinking water.

If drinking water does not work it is recommended you drink small sips of lemon water or in severe cases, glucose is needed, it could be taken orally or injected intravenously.

That is all i can think of for now, if you find any contradictions or do not agree with some of the suggestions i present, please feel free to reply!

Sources:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/viral-gastroenteritis/basics/causes/con-20019350

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/abdominal-pain-causes-treatments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photophobia

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-nausea-vomiting

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/causes/con-20026358

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/symptoms/con-20026358

http://www.webmd.com/children/norovirus-symptoms-and-treatment

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

Edited by emilko62

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, King jjwpenguin said:

Nice list. You defiantly did your research.I dont know ff photophobia fits but i feel the things like vomiting and headaches would be great. I will look into some of this more and see if i find any other ideas. Thais a problem with such great threads, no one knows how to reply or what to add =)

Thanks for the feedback, due to the lack of replies i didn't really know if it appealed to the PZ community so i didn't know how to react.

Anyways, if you want to look into this you can check the sources because they contain more information, i just cut it down to a reasonable size with only the most important information. If you have any questions, suggestions or anything of the sort, please contact me.

8 hours ago, emilko62 said:

Thanks for the feedback, due to the lack of replies i didn't really know if it appealed to the PZ community so i didn't know how to react.

Anyways, if you want to look into this you can check the sources because they contain more information, i just cut it down to a reasonable size with only the most important information. If you have any questions, suggestions or anything of the sort, please contact me.

sometimes a big post scares off people or the dont read it fully. If you look at my older posts even though they had a ton they were not always popular. Pretty sure that this just may be a good idea but intimidating at first glance. Now onto the details of the topic. I love the idea of more in depth illnesses and in earlier posts of mine and a few others we said similar things about illness. Now some things like vomiting may be a bit troublesome, as some other threads said before, to show or add for reasons. Now besides that the Ideas you have seem well thought of and defiantly a good idea, in my opinion, to be added besides photophobia as it seems a bit of a game changer causing it to be of  major problems. Still love the idea and would love to hear all about medical ideas.

4 hours ago, King jjwpenguin said:

sometimes a big post scares off people or the dont read it fully. If you look at my older posts even though they had a ton they were not always popular. Pretty sure that this just may be a good idea but intimidating at first glance. Now onto the details of the topic. I love the idea of more in depth illnesses and in earlier posts of mine and a few others we said similar things about illness. Now some things like vomiting may be a bit troublesome, as some other threads said before, to show or add for reasons. Now besides that the Ideas you have seem well thought of and defiantly a good idea, in my opinion, to be added besides photophobia as it seems a bit of a game changer causing it to be of  major problems. Still love the idea and would love to hear all about medical ideas.

Thanks, but i don't understand how photophobia is such a problem, it basically causes headaches, nausea and in worst cases vomiting, when exposed to light and this should only occur during illness so this would prevent the player from running around like normal when feeling ill. For the vomiting, the devs have already started looking into that. If you check the Re-Animator mondoid (http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/03/re-animator/) in the very first couple of sentences you will see this: ,, We’ve got everything in the can from core stuff like combat and character movement, all the way to vomiting, rubbing painful body parts and swigging from bottles. ''

13 hours ago, emilko62 said:

Thanks, but i don't understand how photophobia is such a problem, it basically causes headaches, nausea and in worst cases vomiting, when exposed to light and this should only occur during illness so this would prevent the player from running around like normal when feeling ill. For the vomiting, the devs have already started looking into that. If you check the Re-Animator mondoid (http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/03/re-animator/) in the very first couple of sentences you will see this: ,, We’ve got everything in the can from core stuff like combat and character movement, all the way to vomiting, rubbing painful body parts and swigging from bottles. ''

ah good to hear. I didn't do too much research into the field but from what i saw it seemed troublesome. Good to hear though and hope to see these implemented.

My issue is with migraines. It's not exactly a common condition, and while the stress of a zombopocalypse would certainly make it more brutal, most people don't get migraines without some other pre-existing condition. It would make for a neat trait tho. Photophobia: +4 points, too much time outdoors can trigger a crippling migraine; Prone to migraines: +10, randomly gets crippling migraines.

Note the term crippling :P having suffered from them myself for a solid 12 years, I'm in a good position to tell you you kinda pray for death the whole time... It's like half your brain's trying to force it's way right through your skull, pulsing at the rhythm of your ever-more panicky heart :( Here's another fun symptom to add to the list: feels like your eyeballs are gonna pop right out of their sockets :P 

Regarding feedback, I think the reason you're not getting much of it is because you're not putting these ideas in line with existing game mechanics. Are these new disease moodles? traits? traits that give moodles? etc... I'm fair sure I get what you're trying to say but I did have to read twice to make sure of where each part would fit in the game o.O

Edited by bobchaos

2 hours ago, bobchaos said:

My issue is with migraines. It's not exactly a common condition, and while the stress of a zombopocalypse would certainly make it more brutal, most people don't get migraines without some other pre-existing condition. It would make for a neat trait tho. Photophobia: +4 points, too much time outdoors can trigger a crippling migraine; Prone to migraines: +10, randomly gets crippling migraines.

Note the term crippling :P having suffered from them myself for a solid 12 years, I'm in a good position to tell you you kinda pray for death the whole time... It's like half your brain's trying to force it's way right through your skull, pulsing at the rhythm of your ever-more panicky heart :( Here's another fun symptom to add to the list: feels like your eyeballs are gonna pop right out of their sockets :P 

Regarding feedback, I think the reason you're not getting much of it is because you're not putting these ideas in line with existing game mechanics. Are these new disease moodles? traits? traits that give moodles? etc... I'm fair sure I get what you're trying to say but I did have to read twice to make sure of where each part would fit in the game o.O

True, Also i was woke up at 3 something and hoped onto the forums and tried to understand this. Still this should be looked at more.

8 hours ago, bobchaos said:

Bobchaos, where have you been all my life? No, but seriously this is the second time you've managed to amaze me with your outside of the box thinking. Though I have to disagree with you on Photophobia being a separate trait since it's usually a symptom of something, it's pretty rare to have it on its own, generally it occurs with migraines and other illnesses (Maybe i should start pointing out what should go for moodles and what should be a trait). Though the Prone to migraines one is a good trait but also not really for the following reason, eventually if this is how we have traits (one per illness) you'll get a pretty good amount of points. But what if there's only one trait which bundles inheritable illnesses, allergies and others of the sort? It would sort of work like your idea about how depression symptoms should be distributed but in this case it's whole illnesses. You would get a couple randomly selected illnesses, allergies etc and they would occur after certain periods of time or under certain circumstances.

2 hours ago, emilko62 said:

Bobchaos, where have you been all my life?

Walking the strange lands of the interwebs :D

Sounds to me like these illnesses would make for some very interesting playthroughs. It would certainly break the monotony of the late game: "It's morning, better go check my farm! *barfs everywhere on contact with light, collapses from exhaustion and pain on the roof from migraine headache*"

On 3/25/2016 at 4:33 AM, bobchaos said:

Walking the strange lands of the interwebs :D

Sounds to me like these illnesses would make for some very interesting playthroughs. It would certainly break the monotony of the late game: "It's morning, better go check my farm! *barfs everywhere on contact with light, collapses from exhaustion and pain on the roof from migraine headache*"

Exactly what i was thinking.