Making window and door frames with sledge hammer

King Kitteh

While making a base in Twiggy's yesterday I was met with a small problem. I wanted to build a sheet rope escape but all of the windows had roof tiles outside of them, meaning they were unusable.

Still wanting a sheet rope I decided to make my own window, smashing one of the walls with my sledge hammer and then building an extremely poor looking window frame with my limited carpentry skill.

While staring annoyed at my awful window frame I thought to myself, "Wouldn't this be so much easier if I could just make a hole in the original wall instead of smashing it and building a new one".

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my suggestion.

You should be able to turn walls into window frames, as well as door frames using the sledgehammer.

I think it will be very useful for remodeling houses without ruining the aesthetics and wasting time rebuilding.

It would also be helpful in that, you won't need to have carpentry skill to make a new window or door frame in place of the preexisting wall.

Also, since door frames are pretty much just extended window frames, you should be able to make a window frame into a door frame as well.

(Only the traditional window frames should be changeable, full length windows wouldn't work, also the glass pane would need to be removed or broken first)

Please tell me what you think :-)

29 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

So I don't see why this can't be added to the game

It can be added. But most modders, I suppose, either work as programmers or study. I already added two mods that add highly requested or useful functions in less than a month. But nor my girlfriend nor my friends will be happy if I spend all of my time coding. This weekend I'm going to British sitcom festival, so maybe afterwards I'll look into it.

Another issue here is that rather than programming, this is going to be a tedious collecting and linking textures to make sure making window hole produces wall with same texture. If someone told me how to list textures efficiently, world-object based mods would be way faster to develop.

Also, if you're in hurry to get this mod, do not forget you can try to develop it yourself and people like me can help you on IRC or forums. Waiting for others to do stuff for you isn't the most efficient way to get stuff done.

5 minutes ago, MXXIV said:

It can be added. But most modders, I suppose, either work as programmers or study.

Oh I wasn't demanding it or anything. I'm not a modder, so I honestly had no idea if creating this suggestion was even possible.

You don't have to mod this if you don't want to, neither does anyone else. I might try to create it though, always wanted to get into modding.

Thanks anyway :-)

1 hour ago, MXXIV said:

It can be added. But most modders, I suppose, either work as programmers or study. I already added two mods that add highly requested or useful functions in less than a month. But nor my girlfriend nor my friends will be happy if I spend all of my time coding. This weekend I'm going to British sitcom festival, so maybe afterwards I'll look into it.

Another issue here is that rather than programming, this is going to be a tedious collecting and linking textures to make sure making window hole produces wall with same texture. If someone told me how to list textures efficiently, world-object based mods would be way faster to develop.

Also, if you're in hurry to get this mod, do not forget you can try to develop it yourself and people like me can help you on IRC or forums. Waiting for others to do stuff for you isn't the most efficient way to get stuff done.

I happen to be an interior designer :Pbut i really like this game so i go into modding. I guess its my present priority hobby now.

1 hour ago, King Kitteh said:

Oh I wasn't demanding it or anything. I'm not a modder, so I honestly had no idea if creating this suggestion was even possible.

You don't have to mod this if you don't want to, neither does anyone else. I might try to create it though, always wanted to get into modding.

Thanks anyway :-)

You should :)its quite fun to do, kinda like playing sudoku but at the end of it you get to see your code in action or bug in action Lolll :P

19 minutes ago, ShuiYin said:

You should :)its quite fun to do

Agreed. I wasn't saying it's wrong to ask for a feature, I just thought you are upset that I said it's easy but still it isn't added. Hence I explained that the problem isn't technical but is a HR issue.

21 minutes ago, ShuiYin said:

I happen to be an interior designer :Pbut i really like this game so i go into modding. I guess its my present priority hobby now.

Nice to see people being drawn into programming by games! :)

I'd actually rather not see this as a base game feature. Yea, you can make a hole and maybe something new can be added to treat a empty ledge (like a roof or sledged 2nd floor wall) at a higher elevation as a sheet rope  mounting spot where you can just hammer a nail into the ground/floor and put a sheet rope there. (why can't we use ropes for this also?)

But you don't really make a "door" or "window" with a sledge hammer.. you make a hole. You can see the investment into a new door frame or window frame in planks as covering up all the warped and twisted and pokey wood from where you busted out the wall because it wouldn't be neat or nice at all. 

Edited by Slice985

6 hours ago, Slice985 said:

But you don't really make a "door" or "window" with a sledge hammer.. you make a hole.

This makes sense, but really, the sledgehammer is already used to destroy things that it doesn't really make sense to (chain link fences and such).

We could compensate by allowing people to make a rough hole with a sledgehammer, but requiring some carpentry skill along with planks and nails to make the frame or door outline.

Alternatively you could use a hammer and chisel to make make the hole perfectly square after smashing the main part out with a sledge hammer.

Perhaps even requiring both planks and nails, and chiseling to make the frame.

Hammer and chisel could be a new item, or you could just use the regular hammer and a screw driver. Not sure if that should take carpentry skill or not.

TLDR: You can make a hole with a sledgehammer, but carpentry skill should be needed to make it able to have a window or door fitted.

Edit: Although with that edition, we'd need to have "rough hole in wall" textures added to stop confusion.

Edited by King Kitteh

On March 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM, King Kitteh said:

We could compensate by allowing people to make a rough hole with a sledgehammer, but requiring some carpentry skill along with planks and nails to make the frame or door outline.

Alternatively you could use a hammer and chisel to make make the hole perfectly square after smashing the main part out with a sledge hammer.

Perhaps even requiring both planks and nails, and chiseling to make the frame.

Hammer and chisel could be a new item, or you could just use the regular hammer and a screw driver. Not sure if that should take carpentry skill or not.

TLDR: You can make a hole with a sledgehammer, but carpentry skill should be needed to make it able to have a window or door fitted.

Edit: Although with that edition, we'd need to have "rough hole in wall" textures added to stop confusion.

This is basically what is already in the game. You use a sledgehammer to make a hole (a neat one at that), you then use planks and a hammer to build a window or door frame. Graphically your idea would be a little different, but gameplay wise I don't see what it would change anything. 

As for chiseling out a door/window frame from demo debris, I wouldn't bother. Demo what you want gone, saw anything left behind and just build a new frame. It will be less work, work better, and take less time. I have done remodeling work where I have put in new door frames. I wouldn't try to chisel what's left behind into something functional. It's just not worth the effort.

21 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

This is basically what is already in the game. You use a sledgehammer to make a hole (a neat one at that), you then use planks and a hammer to build a window or door frame. Graphically your idea would be a little different, but gameplay wise I don't see what it would change anything.

Only real gameplay change is not needing to have carpentry skill to have a hole to put the sheep rope through. I guess we could use slice's suggestion for that:

On 3/11/2016 at 4:11 AM, Slice985 said:

you can just hammer a nail into the ground/floor and put a sheet rope there.

I've though about how the sledgehammer would just make an annoying uneven hole, and I think that perhaps a different tool should be used to make a usable frame. Sure you can smash down that wood wall with a sledgehammer, but if you carefully pull out the nails with a hammer and then saw a hole, you should have a nice window frame. Of course that WOULD require carpentry skill, and is really only just making the building process a bit more convenient.

If anything, just allow me to put the sheet rope on the ledge from the wall I smashed. That's actually the best solution as I see it now, thanks Slice.

Without any carpentry skill, how would you know if that hole you just made could structurally support your weight and the weight of your inventory as you used the sheet rope? Risky endeavor.

I think visually there could be an update with how things look after using a sledgehammer, but for convenience and gameplay purposes, the current system works well.

I don't feel that having to go through the steps of demoing the wall in the game will be more convenient. Assuming it isn't a drywall covered or plastered wall and that you removed the nails carefully (so they can be used again!), sawed a hole, and then put in a proper frame to support your rope ladder, that it would be any more convenient than the current method.

Sure it's not perfectly realistic to use only a sledgehammer, but for the sake of gameplay and not having to do tedious tasks, I support the current method.

My only gripe with the current method is that there are no useable materials after sledging an item. After busting down that wall you can't recover any materials such as nails or maybe a plank or two (like when you break down a player made wall with an axe). When breaking down a chain link fence you don't get any wire or pipes. Destroying a bed doesn't yield a mattress or pillows. Etc. My guess is that this is because the tiles aren't defined to be made up of 'X' materials. They just exist. 

Realistically, sheet ropes make no sense anyway. You can climb while fully encumbered up a multiple story rope hanging on by a single nail... Also that rope can be attached to a flying castle but anyways...

You don't need carpentry skill to nail the sheet rope or put up barricades right now, I don't think zero carpentry skill = complete incompetence (which side of the hammer do I use to nail again?).

So someone with no skills should at least be able to rope out of the hole they made. Also now that I think about it, this makes safely escaping from second story buildings without windows possible, although time consuming.

I agree with the current method of not getting any materials back being annoying. Perhaps you could chose and option to slowly dismantle a wall. and given the right equipment, you'd be able to mostly make it again. If they did that with brick walls I could repair the hole in my house and make it prettiful again.

As for the convenience thing, I meant that if you had a saw and hammer equipped you could just right click a wall and choose, "saw window frame" or something. Only reason I said to remove nails was that you need to remove a board in order to start sawing AFAIK. I don't intend them to be recoverable, although they could be.

This would pretty much mean you don't have to equip the sledge hammer, destroy wall, then equip hammer, get some planks and nails, then build a whole new wall with frame. Instead doing it in a single right click.

21 minutes ago, Demonic_Kat said:

New skill: Sledgehamming

Are you suggesting that you'd need a certain level of sledgehammer skill to be order to smash out perfect window and door frames? Are you suggesting that sledgehammering skill is needed to recover materials from destroying stuff? Would this increase proficiency in using a sledge hammer as a weapon?

Not mocking, just confused what you are intending to get across. Please elaborate.

Although in general, I'm not sure how much actual skill there is in smashing stuff with a sledgehammer, besides physical fitness that is.

3 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Are you suggesting that you'd need a certain level of sledgehammer skill to be order to smash out perfect window and door frames? Are you suggesting that sledgehammering skill is needed to recover materials from destroying stuff? Would this increase proficiency in using a sledge hammer as a weapon?

Not mocking, just confused what you are intending to get across. Please elaborate.

Although in general, I'm not sure how much actual skill there is in smashing stuff with a sledgehammer, besides physical fitness that is.

Ahhhh hehehe those are wonderful insights into what "sledgehamming" could mean!

However I just wanted to sledgehamming. I'm glad it got your gears turning.

This thread has kinda gotten out of hand, and I'm not really sure what it's advocating anymore :-?

Currently I think a good idea will be to just allow smashing "rough" windows out of walls instead of completely destroying them, and then allow us to rope out of them. Also roping off of flat floors would be neat.

As for smashing perfect holes to fit doors and windows in, probably a bit far fetched now. It's almost impossible to do neatly and if we require rebuilding the frame then that defeats the purpose.