Gaining traits/perks as you play

Kelefane

For example,  as you kill more zombies, you gain the Desensitized perk? Or maybe you get Brave first, THEN Desensitized?

I just think that a feature where traits are developed throughout the game would be cool. These traits would be based around the players habit etc. Like if you drink a lot of alcohol, soon your character becomes an alcoholic and needs it. Or a pillhead from popping so many pain pills etc, LOL. :)

Of course there would be some positive traits (or perks) to be gained through habits too.  

These would be gained on top of what you picked going in. But i'd make them hard to accomplish. 

Edited by Kelefane

I don't know if you actually get the perks but you do panic less the more time you face off against zombies, It's fairly slow though.

Pretty sure I read in an old post that they are going to include addiction to pills/alcohol at a later date too (which I'm looking forward to, one of my characters has all the panic traits and spends half his time looking for more beta blockers).

I think this'd be a pretty neat addition because currently selecting traits that give skill points is pretty much a throw away in the long term.

Say, you could pick the gardener trait and start with an advantage in farming, but eventually you'll max out at level 10 and the perk will be useless compared to someone that didn't pick it.

But if you picked light-eater, then you'll always have an advantage over others in that regard.

One thing that came to my mind - if you took the obese trait at the start of the game, when you die of starvation with new nutrition system are you still obese at the moment of death?

I've not explored the nutrition system too much, but from what I heard/read you can gain/lose weight depending on what and how much you eat. So does your weight "influence" the weight related traits? If no, then imo it definitely should. You shouldn't die of starvation while still being a fat pig :)

9 hours ago, Kelefane said:

How bad are the overweight and obese negative traits anyways? Do they actually make your character look fat? lol

They don't make your character look fat in the current build, and I don't think they have plans for that soon. As for how bad they are, it really depends. Many players that like to play stealthy and not engage many zombies, will pick overweight or obese. It mainly just makes you slower at running, and tire slightly quicker. If you never run it doesn't mean much.

I haven't played the IWBUMS branch yet, but I think being overweight or obese will make you more liable to injury there.

It's worth noting that you can actually gain/lose the strength, fitness and as of build 34 weight perks.

But yeah, that would make a lot of sense that most traits would be obtainable, for the very reason King Kitteh said:

17 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Say, you could pick the gardener trait and start with an advantage in farming, but eventually you'll max out at level 10 and the perk will be useless compared to someone that didn't pick it.

But if you picked light-eater, then you'll always have an advantage over others in that regard.

20 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

It's worth noting that you can actually gain/lose the strength, fitness and as of build 34 weight perks.

But yeah, that would make a lot of sense that most traits would be obtainable, for the very reason King Kitteh said:

Woah indeed, I started a new game with an obese character just to check if that trait really changes as you lose weight. And indeed, when my weight fell below 100 I've become overweight instead of obese. Thanks a bunch for that info, didn't think TIS implemented that feature ;)

And hooray for extra 10 points during character creation!

5 minutes ago, bpdlr said:

Yeah, but do you get the -5 Fitness back? I don't think it works like that...

It doesn't affect your fitness at all - those perks just make you move much slower and tire faster, at least as far as I know.

Edit: I'm on 34.12, maybe in 33 it's different?

Edited by Donlol

2 hours ago, bpdlr said:

Yeah, but do you get the -5 Fitness back? I don't think it works like that...

In 34 the obese trait no longer have anything to do with fitness - it was made to only affect weight. The malus/bonus fitness traits got new names and icons now, for example the worst fitness trait is called "Unfit" now. You can take Obese and Unfit together, it will give you 20 extra points to spare (and with weak you can get 30 bonus points :) )

With the new nutrition I have become 'Underweight'. I was rarely hungry, but often peckish and was kind of hibernating using sleeping pills so I think that is how I became underweight.  I am not even sure exactly what effect 'underweight' has. I have been eating like crazy for about a month and am still underweight.

In the same game I have killed 3800 zombies, mostly with an axe and I have still not gained any thing like Brave.

EDIT; Update. I am still Underweight, but I gained the Sturdy perk which is nice. 7 and 1/2 months in.

Edited by explorator