The Ultimate Thread of Traps and Distractions!

Aardman55

They finally did make it work and created a huge explosion but needed incendiary rounds fired from a mini-gun.

And just to make a trade-off,  if propane tanks do get included they could include portable propane stoves in the game.   Forcing you to decide if you want to cook food with the tanks or use them as improvised bombs.

You mean the minigun they also used to cut down a tree (and set it on fire in the process)? Yeah, I imagine that would do the trick :D

I'm really hoping we'll have propane tanks for off-the-grid cooking. I can't make a decent meal after the power goes out and I'm too busy running around before that to level up my cooking.

Microwave Bomb: When overrun by zombies turn on the stove, throw some; steel spoons, knives, forks, in microwave, turn it on and run. Blows up house and a horde of zombies.

That would create a bunch of sparks and probably bust the microwave. If you put in a combination of flammables and metal, you might get a fire going before the oven dies, but that would be unlikely to spread. There are a bunch of things you can make explode inside a microwave, but even those are unlikely to hurt anyone. Blow the door off the oven, maybe.

What I'd like to see is just a basic hole dug with a shovel (and maybe a moat). You and NPCs would be able to climb up pretty easily but with some struggle, maybe jump over and zombies would be struggling a longer time. What comes to the spike hole trap I would preferably use sticks rather than nails. While they aren't as sharp and durable they would definetly cause a lot more damage when hitting. Nails would just hurt my feet when 20 inch sticks would do some real damage (or why not both)... Maybe even a stick hole having a durability (turns into a normal hole after) and a nail hole hurting only NPCs feet? I also thought that the holes should somehow be filled as it would be pretty unrealistic to have "half" a horde to fall in a one square hole.

Also as a guitarist I would be really inclined to drop a TV from the motel bedroom on a window banging zombie :P. Not a trap per se but similar to the log thingy. IF there would be some sort of physics...

Propane or some sort of gas tanks would be realistic imo as there are propably some gas grills in the U.S... But if you look up some videos it is pretty unreliable to make them explode at will and also the explosions aren't gonna blow up hordes and stuff (unless you stack 20 of them and well yeah)... same with the microwave but in smaller scale. I'd rather use a molotov.

Off-topic: With that came to mind: does anyone know if there's somesort of collision box on the zombies regarding them falling from a second floor to a 1x1 room or would it be an endless amount that could fit?

There is a collision box for them when standing on the same level but whether the game engine would check for that while changing levels is something else entirely since this game engine doesn't really get along with 'height' very well at all.

But if you look up some videos it is pretty unreliable to make them explode at will and also the explosions aren't gonna blow up hordes and stuff (unless you stack 20 of them and well yeah)... same with the microwave but in smaller scale. I'd rather use a molotov.

I think there is a lot more energy in a propane tank than you'd get from a molotov.     A 20lb tank wouldnt kill a horde but it's a nice ice breaker.

(Interesting in that they light the propane tank itself before shooting it)

(shot with open flame nearby)

(shot with open flame nearby)

(very small camping tank with open flame near)

(with incendiary rounds)

I think the primary effect though would be as seen in Dawn of the Dead,  the knockdown.   Most nearby zeds 
would get knocked down and many would be on fire.    Concussion might kill those that were standing right next to it.  Maybe.    But looks very useful.

What I ment was, yea the tank would blow up, throw some zombies, and set some on fire but the impact wouldn't be something we see in the movies (as in kills almost all the nearby zombies, maybe some like you said). For example you talked about this:

Now comparing that to the real footage. The real "explosion" is more like a large burst of flame rather than an explosion as seen in the movie. Just clearing up so there wouldn't be any misconseptions about the propane tank being OP or whatever. It would be useful in some situations definately, but not in most, as seen in the videos it takes quite a few rounds to hit the tank at all... My point was i'd much rather go throw a molotov in the horde and run than to wait for the horde to pass the burning tank and try to shoot it just in time etc. but that's just preferences.

There is a collision box for them when standing on the same level but whether the game engine would check for that while changing levels is something else entirely since this game engine doesn't really get along with 'height' very well at all.

Yeah I thought something in the likes of that too. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Tiger Trap/Pit: U

Human Bomb: When one of your NPCs gets bitten, knock him out, tie him up with a bomb and leave him someplace. When he wakes up he'll scream in confusion alerting zombies. When they start chewing on him you detonate the bomb.

pretty hardcore)) 

i`ve got an idea to distract zombies. It`s a Dummy doll made of piece of meat (this is our bait), 2 pillows (for stuffing), pants, vest or sweater and duct tape or belt to keep it together. As for meat better to use rotten one. Next step is usage - put in primary and throw to the crowd of zombies (dummy doll is not so heavy so it`s possible to throw it on a good distance even through the window). Then you'll get about 5-6 seconds to act as you like while they tear it into pieces.

Human Bomb: When one of your NPCs gets bitten, knock him out, tie him up with a bomb and leave him someplace. When he wakes up he'll scream in confusion alerting zombies. When they start chewing on him you detonate the bomb.

pretty hardcore)) 

i`ve got an idea to distract zombies. It`s a Dummy doll made of piece of meat (this is our bait), 2 pillows (for stuffing), pants, vest or sweater and duct tape or belt to keep it together. As for meat better to use rotten one. Next step is usage - put in primary and throw to the crowd of zombies (dummy doll is not so heavy so it`s possible to throw it on a good distance even through the window). Then you'll get about 5-6 seconds to act as you like while they tear it into pieces.

According to Max Brooks lore Zs aren't interested in already dead things and I think rotten meat would count as such... And they would probably just ignore the dummy anyways since it doesn't show any signs of life. As for the smoke bombs I don't think that would work even in real life. It would need something to really create the smoke like ammonium nitrate found in cold packs. That would be possible, but still not plausible. And also if the devs have stated that there won't be even a aerosol+lighter type "flamethrowers", I'd think this would fall in the same category.

There was a zombie short story I read where a man simply smeared himself with foul smelling guts and walked around awkwardly like the zombies.   This allowed him to move through the crowds.    At some point he recognized that a woman was alive and doing the same thing.    Eventually he's bitten and his first thought as he turns....is of the woman.

Funny, but not really interesting or balanced in a computer game.

pretty hardcore)) 

According to Max Brooks lore Zs aren't interested in already dead things and I think rotten meat would count as such... And they would probably just ignore the dummy anyways since it doesn't show any signs of life. As for the smoke bombs I don't think that would work even in real life. It would need something to really create the smoke like ammonium nitrate found in cold packs. That would be possible, but still not plausible. And also if the devs have stated that there won't be even a aerosol+lighter type "flamethrowers", I'd think this would fall in the same category.

About smoke bombs - man you should just try it IRL (outdoor of course) 
paper + yellow hairs of the tennis ball just for ignition. Smoke appears when rubber part start firing.

There was a zombie short story I read where a man simply smeared himself with foul smelling guts and walked around awkwardly like the zombies.   This allowed him to move through the crowds.    At some point he recognized that a woman was alive and doing the same thing.    Eventually he's bitten and his first thought as he turns....is of the woman.

Funny, but not really interesting or balanced in a computer game.

i will not argue who was the first with repellent idea. But in "Walking dead" 1 season episode 2 (24:27) shows us how to do it properly.

Edited

1 class is Distraction:

Talking dolls (you know Woody from Toy Story)

Kitchen timer (set up timer / live it some where)

Small area , not so loud

Analog alarm clock (set up timer / live it some where)

Medium area ,loud enough to make more problems if used not wisely

Walkie talkie (could be used for comunication with NPC`s)

Or simply drop one on the ground and tell a zombie joke - “The zombie weatherman said today’s forecast will be “raaaaaaiiiiinn”

Fireworks (ignite then throw)

Drop it like it hot ©

Chinese bells (should make some noise when touched)

Pretty useless Chinese shit

2 class is outdoor:

Whoopee cushion (scattered on the street)

This stuff will confuse even zombies + it`s funny. Maybe even boredom reducer

Oil (spill it on the floor)

Zombies will fall down occasionally and move slower

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Blow Horn (item) to get zombies to come toward's you

spear's made out of wood that stick out like Old School roman fort? like the walking dead style they have out front their Prison door?(if you watch it)

oil pit + torch = roasted zombies.

wire + gas can + flame's = roasted zombies

if you get really good  and up your celp skill you can make boar traps? which you can make out of wood with sharp spikes? if anyone's seen Apocalypto(movie) that boar trap but with a trip wire.

Considering that PZ is basically about being an average person in extreme environment, it is safe to assume that the trap designs should not be too complex or high-tech.

With that in mind, here's a list of a few simple trap/defense ideas that would not require any engineering skills at all (i.e. no counterweights, tripping mechanisms etc needed):

- Spike trap - the simplest design by far - a hole in the ground with spikes/knives/nails inside. When used against zombies, almost anything can be used to cover it (since Zs don't really care where to step). Trapping NPCs however, could get a bit trickier as the spike trap would have to be completely concealed.

PROS: simple; deadly; effective against groups of NPCs - if someone's injured, the group would be forced to move at the speed of an injured member. (You could also stab a Z with these knives/spikes before installing them, so it infects anyone who is lucky enough to survive your trap - this could be a long-term solution to raiders/thieves problem, although its kinda mean xD)

CONS: digging a hole that deep is very time-consuming; not completely foolproof (if its concealed, then you or friendlies could run into it while being chased by the horde or walking in the dark etc); has to be cleaned up when "full".

- Using electricity for defense (e.g. connecting the metal fences to the power line/etc)

- A combo of both (aka "A Trench of Death" xD) - i.e. digging a trench around your safehouse, flooding it with water, then dropping a power line cable.

Obviously all designs that are based on electricity would be cheap and easy to make in the beginning, but will become extremely expensive once the power's out. (connecting it to a generator, and only switching it on when needed could be a possible solution)

Quoting myself from my other thread: Broadcast system as a distraction. Poles with loudspeakers that would normally be used to warn against a natural disaster or nuclear stuff (cold war remnants)  They could be turned on and zeds crowd around them, also used as a comunication system with other zeds (think dead island)

Trap: Spike trap on stairways. spikes put horizontally (laying down) on the stairs that can catch zeds, or unsuspecting npcs stabbing their foot and or upper part bodies if they fall after a first hit. useful for crowd control in a stairway.

Cheers