The Ultimate Thread of Traps and Distractions!

Aardman55

maybe add

zombies attracted to raw meat e.g raw salmon, steak etc.

dead body mine requires:1 a dead body 2 an explosive

find a dead corpse survivor or zombie place explosives beneath (like in films) zombie or angry NPC's (when added) will walkover and explode and also trigger all zombies in the area to swarm the location also just as a side note anything spotting you place it will avoid it but ignore this if its to difficult

sound systems that attract zombies but boosts most things but can't hear the noise of sieges

trench requires:1 a shovel

select an area you want to dig and dig but you can be trapped so leave a way to get over and up so you don't get trapped

i hope these get added but they may be to ambitous let me know as i personally would like to see them

Npc.victim send the..out with a remote.bomb attached. Good option is terrorist bombers.. They have the training :-P

No seriously many house hold devices would work. Alarm clocks is good as stated before. Heavy objects. Animals on a rope, a team mate, car alarms, musical electrical devices, roads covered in flamable fuel.

Setting fire to the woods during summer.

Setting fire to.furniture with lighter.

Setting off fire alarms.

Rocks.

A pit.

Spiked pit.

Shotguns rigged to a door.

Trip wires with grenades or even shotgun shells.

Ringing mobile phones.

Hitting metal.objects together.

We could go on forever with distraction choices and traps..

• 1 month later...

I was thinking it would be nice to turn on TVs or Radios, to attract zombies. I suggest the distraction lasts for 1 or 2 minutes then it auto turns off... what do you guys suggest?

other questions and suggestions [q] question suggestion

[q] do zombies respawn?

[q] will there be cars?

a prison in the outskirts

random cars in the streets

zombie cops and soldiers

military base in the outskirts

secret lab in the outskirts with underground floors

hospital in the city

if cars are added- require fuel to keep going

add a bycicle

air raid alarms that can be manually activated for 2 minutes

.... il think of more..

there will be cars

prison.....depends if Fort Knox has a stockade, which is a type of prison. also covers the military question

bicycles have been mentioned by many in here, i think they are confirmed (could be wrong though)

hospital....Fort Knox or Louisville is bound to have a hospital

secret lab..........we won't even know just what caused this outbreak. if any secret lab is added i would guess it would be on a mod map

This was probably mentioned somewhere but if vehicles become a part of the game, it could be possible to set up a car bomb for a trap or distraction.

Other ideas I've thought of were some kind of pressure plate cage system. Of course, being a decent carpenter you could make a wire cage trap to trap animals with in the while once those are added as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a few ideas but again i dont know if they have been said or are the exact same.

Traps:

Spike trap

1 Board + 15 Nails

It is placed on the ground and can be picked up but whatever walks over it gets bleeding in the feet.

It can be picked up without anything but may cut you.

Barbed wire

4 planks +3 Barbed wire

It is placed on fences and the ground. Fence will cause minor cuts all over. A towel can be thrown over to protect you. On the ground it trips players and zombies as well as cuts them around the feet. The ground ones must be destroyed by wire cutters and then picked up.

Trench

A shovel + Dirt

It will slow down anything in it for 2 seconds and Spiked traps can be thrown into it for extra damage.

Tripwire

2 Boards+ 2 nails + 2 rope + A hammer

It can be placed inside by doors as well as outside. It will trip zombies and players

Explosive trip wire

Tripwire + Pipe bomb

It will blow up when triggered.

Distractions:

Brick

a brick...

It can be thrown as a weapon at zombies, Through windows, or near zombies to attract them but it only attracts a 20x20 area.

Baseball

Its a baseball..

It can be thrown very far but doesn't make much noise. it attracts zombies in a 10x10 but can be used as a weapon if you have a baseball bat equipped primary and the ball secondary. Accuracy does play a major part. Your character throws the ball up and swings but if he misses he gets the ball back but it was a waste of time.

Alarm

Alarm clock + Battery + House alarm

It can be set to go off at any specific time and can be placed or thrown. It attracts zombies in a 30x30. It is made to be used right away and in result if you hold onto it for 1-3 days it can go off randomly. It will ring for 10 minutes. 

Firecracker/firework

Find them at a firework store

They can be set off by lighters and will either fly up into the air lighting up the night sky and attracting zombies (The firework) or it is thrown and will blow up to make a flash in a 10x10 and attract zombies in a 15x15.(Fire cracker) Fireworks can be made in to a Rocket launcher by finding PVC pipes a lighter and duck tape.

Firework launcher

2 PVC + 1 Lighter + Duck tape

This launcher will fire 1 firework at a time and will launch it for a total of 30 tiles but will also explode on impact and attract zombies where it explodes. It can hold 1 round and take a few seconds to load.

Pipe bomb

1 PVC + 1 lighter + 5 bullets

It can be thrown and will go off in 5 seconds. breaks any windows in a 10x10 and will attract zombies in a 20x20.

Anything else that was mentioned in the list that isn't added such as 

Wire cutters- Cuts chain fences and disarms traps

Shovel- Digs holes.

Brick- Same as PVC

PVC- Useless besides crafting.

Fireworks- Fireworks from a firework stand

House alarm- A dismantled house alarm

alarm clock-Will wake you up at a set time until battery dies

These will be find able in various places and have there own uses. as stated above.

It's nice to see this thread back up, this is one of my favorites <3

I can bet several people want the mouse-and-wooden-spikes trap that Michonne uses in the walking dead and I personally am hoping for that one.

The problem with traps is that most of them are only effective on humans, because humans can be killed from things other than direct trauma to the brain.  Most traps either:

A: Cause pain/incapacitation

B: Kill

C: Distract

So traps won't be as useful now as they will be once we get NPCs :(

Well the can slowdown and damage zombies a little bit. It isn't just to hurt them but if one has to go through a few traps to get to you it will give you time to prep or run. If one steps on some nails it wont feel the pain but it will have damage to its foot and slow it down. Its just about slowing them down or preventing them from passing. Some may escape with minimal harm while others may be killed by it. It depends on the trap and location. But yes they will play a bigger part with NPCs.

Well the can slowdown and damage zombies a little bit. It isn't just to hurt them but if one has to go through a few traps to get to you it will give you time to prep or run. If one steps on some nails it wont feel the pain but it will have damage to its foot and slow it down. Its just about slowing them down or preventing them from passing. Some may escape with minimal harm while others may be killed by it. It depends on the trap and location. But yes they will play a bigger part with NPCs.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but for the most part when you step on something that hurts your foot the only reason it slows you down is because it hurts.  If your foot didn't ache you wouldn't think about stepping lighter on it would you?

Well for the trip wire, that would trip you and make you have to get up or crawl. Either way it slows you down. If you step in a board of nails you are slightly off balance and/or slightly disabled in the foot. I mean zombies wouldn't feel pain but then it could eventually do damage into there foot causing them to possibly lose there foot or be injured enough it makes it very ineffective to walk on. Its all about ifs and these were not all made for just zombies. Some were made for NPCs.

That is what i was saying that it could get stuck. That or if a zombies looses parts of his foot it wont be as effective to walk on. Not just the pain but imagine that you lost a good 1.2 of your foot and then you put all your weight into part of the missing foot. It would cause you to stumble and slow down or such but again not by much. Its just if a zombies loses part of its foot it wont be stopped but just very slightly slowed. It like if you try to walk without bending your knees its possibly but just not as efficient. Its just how you are used to walking. Zombies may be used to walking a certain way and if part of the foot is damaged it may change that. Just an idea still.

• 1 month later...

Traps dont just kill or hurt things. MOST traps TRAP things. Encase them in a cage or stop them from going places in someway.

Most traps designed for zombies (especially if they can only be killed by destroying the brain) would be designed to immobilize them so that you can get close enough to destroy the brain without getting bit. Simple things like wooden lances sticking out of the ground at an angle like this

image.jpg

Or pits with or with out spikes at the bottom are both good (with pits you just drop large rocks down or set the pit aflame as getting in would be dangerous)

Bear traps are good too and depending on the decomposition of the body will either immobilize or mame (if the bear trap is fixed) and the nail boards could be pretty decent too again depending on what settings your game is set to (everybody seems to forget this game has a plethora of variables). A zombie could step on it and leave their whole foot behind on it :P

I notice a lot of trap suggestions are rather complex when its usually best to stick with the simple especially if what your trapping has almost no intelligence and cant figure it out.

Traps dont just kill or hurt things. MOST traps TRAP things. Encase them in a cage or stop them from going places in someway.

Most traps designed for zombies (especially if they can only be killed by destroying the brain) would be designed to immobilize them so that you can get close enough to destroy the brain without getting bit. Simple things like wooden lances sticking out of the ground at an angle like this

image.jpg

Or pits with or with out spikes at the bottom are both good (with pits you just drop large rocks down or set the pit aflame as getting in would be dangerous)

Bear traps are good too and depending on the decomposition of the body will either immobilize or mame (if the bear trap is fixed) and the nail boards could be pretty decent too again depending on what settings your game is set to (everybody seems to forget this game has a plethora of variables). A zombie could step on it and leave their whole foot behind on it :P

I notice a lot of trap suggestions are rather complex when its usually best to stick with the simple especially if what your trapping has almost no intelligence and cant figure it out.

Well i see your point. I am for it but when NPCs are added they will mostly avoid these simple traps so something more complex is required. That is why they are there. well that's why for me at least for me.

Yup, trapping living people is a whole different game, especially if they have experience trapping which they may be more likely to after the apocalypse. You would definitely have to 'ghillie-suit' your pits, and thats probably the only trap I would use against people. I'd be coming up with stuff so complex it couldnt be built :P People are definitely the hardest part about the apocalypse.