The Ultimate Thread of Traps and Distractions!

Aardman55

Personally i would go for a tripwire/pad connected to a boorbell as an early warning system for my base lol

just wondering do you think they will go with some kind of modular system like mine craft etc or will traps just be single tile objects with effects?

Personally i would go for a tripwire/pad connected to a boorbell as an early warning system for my base lol

just wondering do you think they will go with some kind of modular system like mine craft etc or will traps just be single tile objects with effects?

There is a recent Mondoid about this.

Let's say you break open a bullet with a kitchen knife

GUNPOWDER

Then you could put it in a bottle. If they could add vines or string or something that burns it could work as a fuse. Then you could put nails in it!

NAIL BOMB.

Or you could blow up the bullet when trying to cut it open and die. Either way

GUNPOWDER

Then you could put it in a bottle. If they could add vines or string or something that burns it could work as a fuse. Then you could put nails in it!

NAIL BOMB.

I have a feeling Rathlord will come along and show how that's not possible. He usually does.  :razz:

I don't know, I mean could you do that?

add pliers and just pull the 2 pieces apart

And blow your face off.

GUNPOWDER

NAIL BOMB.

I have a feeling Rathlord will come along and show how that's not possible. He usually does.  :razz:

With gunpowder? Probably not as it wouldn't have much power.

add pliers and just pull the 2 pieces apart

And blow your face off.

GUNPOWDER

NAIL BOMB.

With gunpowder? Probably not as it wouldn't have much power.

I also kind of figured it wouldn't be the most realiable weapon in the world, but I don't know enough about gunpowder to make that judgement.

I have seen, I can't remember where or the name tho sorry, a show where it was done and to my knowledge the primer is at the back where the hammer strikes, nothing is near the front where the bullet is, if you brace the case (in a Vice) it won't blow up if you pull it apart, a bullet is not a Christmas cracker. This was a hunting show and they did it so they could show the viewer what was in the bullet and how to put one together, they did shoot that bullet later to show it wasn't just a dud.

Every bullet comes in stacks of 10 or 12 so I think you could make a bomb with half a stack of shotgun shells. And if you had to be able to put a fuse in it, obviously there would be a hole for oxygen. He didn't ask if it were easy, he asked if I could do it. I was kind of picturing molotov cocktails but with gunpowder and nails instead of gasoline infused socks.

Every bullet comes in stacks of 10 or 12 so I think you could make a bomb with half a stack of shotgun shells. And if you had to be able to put a fuse in it, obviously there would be a hole for oxygen. He didn't ask if it were easy, he asked if I could do it. I was kind of picturing molotov cocktails but with gunpowder and nails instead of gasoline infused socks.

Even with a hole it wouldn't be able to get enough oxygen, Molotov cocktails are pretty much the same but the glass has to shatter for it to go boom.

Then how do old-fashioned cannons work? How do bullets work? They are completely cut off from open air, and there isn't any special compartment to hold air for a bullet. Think about how far those bullets go with how much oxygen they get! Pretty sure if they have enough oxygen to go off since they are in a sealed containment area so to speak, so would a jar with a hole in the top. Besides, who said it was all the way full? Even if this bottle were only halfway full I'm pretty sure it would still work.

Then how do old-fashioned cannons work? How do bullets work? They are completely cut off from open air, and there isn't any special compartment to hold air for a bullet. Think about how far those bullets go with how much oxygen they get! Pretty sure if they have enough oxygen to go off since they are in a sealed containment area so to speak, so would a jar with a hole in the top. Besides, who said it was all the way full? Even if this bottle were only halfway full I'm pretty sure it would still work.

I don't really know enough about cannons to rebut this. 

If you have less gunpowder you get a smaller boom.

Yeah, but I mean if you chuck it into a crowd, it won't matter will it :P

I wonder if we could do what that kid does in home alone, and put marbles everywhere so things fall over

But would it have enough power to hurl the nails?

The gunpowder would have to be tightly packed to explode as opposed to just burning up, and I doubt the nail bomb would be useful even if it DID function as intended... Now the zeds are full of nails and still coming at you. You'd be better off using those bullets as... well, bullets. I doubt the nails would have enough force to penetrate a human skull.

You'd most likely get closer to your desired effect using a plastic water bottle and alcohol+chlorine bombs full of nails. Plus it'd be easier to do, and wouldn't cost you precious bullets. But the fact stands that some flying nails probably won't destroy any brains, and by extension, not do any real harm to the zombies.

And if you used it on survivors, I'd wager the actual bomb explosion would cause more lasting damage than the nails would. The bullets would still be the better way to go.

Preemptive Rebuttal: And no, I don't think it should be added just so that "Lol idiots can try it and waste stuff like dummies while it doesn't work" because stooping to that argument means there's no reason at all for it to be implemented in the game besides "just 'cuz" and that isn't a reason.

Awww, Rorek! You wound me! You don't like my anti-suggestions? My reasoning isn't "just 'cuz," though, it's:

Because real people would really try to do those things, and I think they should be doable and have consequences. PZ is all about decision making, and I think allowing those bad decisions to exist makes the game better. Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread, though?

Awww, Rorek! You wound me! You don't like my anti-suggestions? My reasoning isn't "just 'cuz," though, it's:

Because real people would really try to do those things, and I think they should be doable and have consequences. PZ is all about decision making, and I think allowing those bad decisions to exist makes the game better. Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread, though?

I can get behind that logic a little better, as that's a more refined take than the excuse I'm usually given. I do still believe that it's an idea that needs to be carefully debated, because the fact is this is a video game. People could very easily think "That's a retarded idea in real life but since it's in the game, obviously it's a thing and has use" and then leads to the uncomfortable situation of having to trial-and-error which concoctions are red-herrings designed to hurt your run and which actually work, as there are sure to be at least some game-y combinations that actually WILL have functional uses and this will lead to one of two things happening:

Either people will waste a ton of time and resources (potentially entire games) learning all of the terrible things and dealing with the consequences, OR (much more likely) they will do something stupid, think "wtf?" and proceed to the PZ Wiki/Forums to figure out what they did wrong and learn which recipes are the red-herrings, rendering the entire premise completely moot, meaning that all of these implemented "bad ideas" will be nothing but clutter.

EDIT: Er... Yeah, probably better off in a different topic. I'll shut up now.

The gunpowder would have to be tightly packed to explode as opposed to just burning up, and I doubt the nail bomb would be useful even if it DID function as intended... Now the zeds are full of nails and still coming at you. You'd be better off using those bullets as... well, bullets. I doubt the nails would have enough force to penetrate a human skull.

You'd most likely get closer to your desired effect using a plastic water bottle and alcohol+chlorine bombs full of nails. Plus it'd be easier to do, and wouldn't cost you precious bullets. But the fact stands that some flying nails probably won't destroy any brains, and by extension, not do any real harm to the zombies.

And if you used it on survivors, I'd wager the actual bomb explosion would cause more lasting damage than the nails would. The bullets would still be the better way to go.

Preemptive Rebuttal: And no, I don't think it should be added just so that "Lol idiots can try it and waste stuff like dummies while it doesn't work" because stooping to that argument means there's no reason at all for it to be implemented in the game besides "just 'cuz" and that isn't a reason.

Usually I just get tons of ammo and never find a gun so I needed to use it for something :P

And chlorine isn't implemented. I was trying to think of crafting ideas with items in game, instead of like "Well let's just dump napalm on them and throw a match!" because obviously napalm isn't in the game.The nails wouldn't really cause the damage I guess, but I got a million of those too. And when NPCS are added, well not only their head is vulnerable. I was thinking more in line of if they are raiding your house and you chuck one, then it goes off and kills 1-2 of them, but the nails are left behind to hurt the feet of the others that are still coming. Idk, it was just an idea  ;-)

<...>

Usually I just get tons of ammo and never find a gun so I needed to use it for something :P

And chlorine isn't implemented. I was trying to think of crafting ideas with items in game, instead of like "Well let's just dump napalm on them and throw a match!" because obviously napalm isn't in the game.The nails wouldn't really cause the damage I guess, but I got a million of those too. And when NPCS are added, well not only their head is vulnerable. I was thinking more in line of if they are raiding your house and you chuck one, then it goes off and kills 1-2 of them, but the nails are left behind to hurt the feet of the others that are still coming. Idk, it was just an idea  ;-)

Suggesting combinations only regarding items that already exist within the game would be a very narrow conversation as it's pretty safe to say that there's still a plethora of things to add into the game. And like I said, against survivors, the actual explosion itself would be more likely to cause lasting damage compared to the nails. If anything, stuffing the bomb full of nails would probably only serve to dilute the explosion and weaken the bomb. 

The nails might potentially hurt something, but I think you'd be better off just using the explosion for collateral damage rather than trying to over-complicate the concoction to attempt to make it more interesting.

<...>

Suggesting combinations only regarding items that already exist within the game would be a very narrow conversation as it's pretty safe to say that there's still a plethora of things to add into the game. And like I said, against survivors, the actual explosion itself would be more likely to cause lasting damage compared to the nails. If anything, stuffing the bomb full of nails would probably only serve to dilute the explosion and weaken the bomb. 

The nails might potentially hurt something, but I think you'd be better off just using the explosion for collateral damage rather than trying to over-complicate the concoction to attempt to make it more interesting.

Also to be fair, it wouldn't be very effective against zombies, you would need to hope one of the nails hits the head and pierces the skull driving itself in the brain. Personally, I don't like those odds.

Nop

There is a current way to make traps in PZ, but the problem is I haven't leveled my Carpentry up enough to do it once I discovered how to do it. I'm not going to explain how to do it yet until I can confirm that it works. It's so simple that I'm surprised nobody has thought to doing it.

I will give you all a clue to figure it out though. It has to do with the design of the map and using it to your advantage to create traps were zombies can't escape.

Trap them around the river?

Nope.

Trap them between the invincible walls of buildings?

Okay, I tried to build the trap using the path between two indestructible fences that's zombies like to always use when loud noises go off using stairs as walls, but it won't allow you to do it. I can place stairs anywhere in the game, but when it comes to placing them near indestructible fences. Maybe it because where I want to put it. I'll have to try to build it at another path.