The Ultimate Thread of Traps and Distractions!

Aardman55

simple Alarm - Sheet rope, empty food cans or pots

Action - Zed cross rope which makes a lot of racket

Distraction - Sheet rope x3, sandbag/bag of plaster, empty food cans or pots

Action - Zed crosses rope with pulls sandbag dead weight off a high point.  It then falls making a lot of racket in another room.  Zed goes to investiage, players take advantage of distraction

Deadfall - sandbag/bag of plaster, sheet rope, wooden pole

Action - Zed trips the trap, which causes the heavy object to smash into their head

Boomstick - shotgun (loaded), sheet rope, wooden rod and sandbag/bag of plaster.  If nothing is nearby, a chair or box would need to be constructed to rest the shotgun

Action - Zed trips the trap, which release the dead weight which fires the shotgun.

There is a current way to make traps in PZ, but the problem is I haven't leveled my Carpentry up enough to do it once I discovered how to do it. I'm not going to explain how to do it yet until I can confirm that it works. It's so simple that I'm surprised nobody has thought to doing it.

I will give you all a clue to figure it out though. It has to do with the design of the map and using it to your advantage to create traps were zombies can't escape.

There is a current way to make traps in PZ, but the problem is I haven't leveled my Carpentry up enough to do it once I discovered how to do it. I'm not going to explain how to do it yet until I can confirm that it works. It's so simple that I'm surprised nobody has thought to doing it.

I will give you all a clue to figure it out though. It has to do with the design of the map and using it to your advantage to create traps were zombies can't escape.

Trap them around the river?

Nop

Nope.

Nop

Nope.

Trap them between the invincible walls of buildings?

Distraction

Bullets + Oven

Once the bullets are hot enough, they start shooting at random intervals.

No damage, but would attract all the Zs around.

Imho shouldnt be hard to implement (bullets, shooting, ovens and overcooking/burning mechanics already in game)

Distraction

Bullets + Oven

Once the bullets are hot enough, they start shooting at random intervals.

No damage, but would attract all the Zs around.

Imho shouldnt be hard to implement (bullets, shooting, ovens and overcooking/burning mechanics already in game)

Not sure if an oven can get hot enough to set off bullets. 

Nop

Nope.

Trap them between the invincible walls of buildings?

You're getting closer.

I think there should be a "Salvage" skill, so say you wanted to take apart a washing machine the higher the skill the more useful and better conditioned parts you could get to take apart that item. Batteries could be used to power traps made out of different mechanical items harvested from things like clocks and alarms  to make different mecha traps like falling roofs or a powered knife coming out of a wall. This would add another skill, a purpose for those freaking washing machines and some creativity for building with parts to kill zombs.

Rigged Shotgun:

2 Planks + fishing line + sawn off shotgun + nails

Shotgun placed head height adjacent to door frame. Trip wire added to doorframe , secured with a pulley to ensure the force pulls on the trigger.

Counter weighted Axe

Axe + Fishing Line + 2 planks + nails

You been watching the latest season of The Walking Dead? Then you know this one if not. It's just an axe connected to a pulley and counterweight hidden by a sheet, you trip the wire, you get an axe to the face. I'm not shittin' you!

Sand bag snare

Sand bag + sheet rope + nails

A slipknot on the ground camoflaged with what ever is on the surface with a snare switch holding a sand bag in a tenuous postion, break the twig, by stepping in the noose sand bag goes down, you go up.

Loot trap

Piece of loot + pressure activated explosive (grenade or something)

Pick up the loot, lose your face. 

Poisoned food

Some food + a syringe + bleach

Leave out a mock food stash for people to raid, they'll overlook your real stash and take themselves out to boot!

"Medicine"

The medicine you want it to look like +  bleach + cooking pot + sugar + craft knife + glue

Dehydrated bleach covered in your medicine of choice with a lovely sugar coating popped back safely into the blister pack. Make survivors sicker the more "Medicine" they eat, just don't mix it up with your stash!

Counter weighted Axe

You been watching the latest season of The Walking Dead? Then you know this one if not. It's just an axe connected to a pulley and counterweight hidden by a sheet, you trip the wire, you get an axe to the face. I'm not shittin' you!

Probably wouldn't be a very effective weapon, good way to give raiders a new axe.

The amount of bleach you could leave on a pill would actually probably help the person. Takes a good bit more than that to be poisonous.

I said dehydrated bleach, not just dipped in bleach, about 50 mgs of powdered bleach taken 12 times is going to do a lot more than just scrub your throat clean. 

Counter weighted Axe

Probably wouldn't be a very effective weapon, good way to give raiders a new axe.

Also on on what basis did you make that judgement? Like you decided it would be giving raiders a free axe. Why? 

The amount of bleach you could leave on a pill would actually probably help the person. Takes a good bit more than that to be poisonous.

I said dehydrated bleach, not just dipped in bleach, about 50 mgs of powdered bleach taken 12 times is going to do a lot more than just scrub your throat clean. 

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant just coating a pill in bleach- that would do nothing but burn a bit. But if you mean actually making the pills out of bleach, maybe.

I honestly think some of the simplest devices would be best.  Let me build a walk way ontop of my fence (I dont care if I am 1 level up or 3).   Now that I am looking down (on a battlement on from the roof of my build).  I click on the square the zombie is on with a LOG in my primary slot.  It say "Do you want to drop the log?"  Player says yes and drop the log onto the zombie.  You hit whatever is in the square, with the height and Blunt weapon modifier increasing the chance of a leathal blow.  Log is left on the ground one way or the other.

Players could drop other objects, some could be destoyed while other might not.  Maybe with some interesting effects: Sandbag, Bag of plaster, Bag of Concrete, Bucket of Paint, plank, can of soup, whatever.

okay firstly as someone who had a rather mispent youth with a very dog-eared copy of the old schoolboy favorite (the Anarchists cookbook) i can attest that explosives is not something you want to learn on a trial an error basis lol

the tennis ball bomb trick doesnt work well the amount of smoke is useless, but an ammonia nitrate "Cake" once lit can fill 3 american city blocks with smoke lol (i know i tried) - this is however rather useless against zombies as your more likely to stumble into one in the smoke.

i like the idea of flash bangs and i agree dynamite would be impossible to get hold of even demolition companies dont use it anymore as its too unstable ( the fact that alfred nobel's nitroglycerin factory blew up twice, once taking out his own brother can attest to that one)

given the games setting there would however probably be a large amount of gunpowder based "crowscarers" (think firecrackers on a long fuse/rope the sets one off every few minutes)

i live in a rather rural area myself with a few farms etc and theres more gunpowder based explosives used in farming then you can shake a stick at (ive got a box full of the dam things, perfect for flash bangs you just need gunpowder and a bit of paper or card pack tight add fuse and light - good distraction no damage) 

i think traps for the game should be kept simple and not sure how well deadfall/spike traps would work with zombies as they have a very low chance of actually killing them (after a while they will clog up the spikes and climb over there impaled brethren :)

i do really really want some distractions though like setting up a battery powered boombox. or seting up loads of wind chimes around your base to divert wanderers etc

oh and i love the remote control car idea lol maybe with an alarm clock duct taped on the top?

on a lighter note as impractical as it would be i would love to see the paint can tied with string at the top of the stairs home alone style, impractical but hilarious

I think dropping large nets on groups of zombies would be an effective way of hindering their movement.  As the monsters thrash around they will become more entangled in the netting.  Instead of a cluster of mobile individual zombies, you would have a mass group bound together hindering movement through smaller enclosures like doorways.

Clearly the best traps would involve some sort of heavy object falling on top of the zombie.  Why?  The zombie's only vulnerability is the head and this is the primary impact site for any objects falling from above.  A more elaborate mechanism would funnel zombies into an area covered by chain link fencing about 10 feet in height.  With reinforced walking planks on the top, a survivor could dispatch zombies quickly with downward thrusts from an improvised spear through the fence floor into the zombie "cage".

These traps would be effective against 10-30 zombies but not effective against hordes of thousands.  For that you would need a truly large scale industrial solution run by a team of at least 50 survivors.  Something like a massive stone works that funnel and gate zombies into kill zones using some type of bait.  Imagine a huge jerry-rigged "Star Wars trash compactor"  squishing zombies over and over.  You would need bulldozers and scoop trucks to scoop up the resulting zombie goo for dump trucks to haul to a landfill.

Something as simple as a garage door remote and a doorbell or the siren for a house alarm would work rather well as a distraction device to lure away Zeds from your trail. 

Remote Controlled Noise (Quiet or Loud)

Garage Door Opener + Garage Door Receiver + Doorbell / House Alarm + Wire

Have a horde too close to where you want to go? Being chased by a horde of angry groupie Zeds? Throw the device while running, or conveniently pre-place it on the ground away from where you want the Zeds to not be then press the magic button. One Ding-dong later, or if you're lucky enough to have salvaged an Alarm during your days in Muldraugh, the now sweet, sweet sound of a Claxon wailing will get those Zeds out of your hair.