Screams of Pain

theweef

Hey all, just thought about this. I did a search and this suggestion was spoken only like 1-3 times BEFORE October 2014.

Anyways, I think there should be a new Scream mechanic that intertwines with traits and health. Similar to being sick, when a character is in pain or is wounded (or better yet at an agony level, making painkillers more important), there should be an RNG that every x unit of time or pressure, the character will either emit the following sounds:

Death Scream - Upon death, the player's scream (that plays during death already) will attract more zombies, making looting your own body (or killing yourself-self) not a favorable option for a few days.

Fracture Scream - Who on earth DOESN'T scream when they break their leg? Screams will get quieter as the character breaks more limbs, if they happen to live and fully heal

Pressure Scream - If a character is wounded in an area that is healing, nerve reactions shoot to their brain and will cause a scream. Not louder than a fracture scream, but can be pretty dangerous.

Bitten Scream - Have fun not screaming as you lose a chunk of your body.

Heavy Pain Sighs/Grunts - Similar to a really bad stomach ache or bug, the character may heavily sigh or grunt from the pain they are experiencing. Sound radius shouldn't be too big, perhaps just an average room size.

Medium Pain Sighs/Grunts - You know that feeling when you break a fall with your nose, or you scrape off a few layers of skin on a limb, and you're walking your sorry behind to some medical help while trying not to focus on your blood pouring everywhere? Yeah.

keep in mind I don't want some sound imported from an 80's snuff film

Any pain easier to handle than Medium will not emit a sound.

To counteract these negative effects, some new traits will come in.

Heavy Sports Player - -4 points, reduces sound radius from pain

Loud Mouth - +4 points, increases sound radius from pain

Being a Veteran or Police Officer will also reduce sound radius from pain.

If the actual audio gets too annoying, just make it text like sneezing (or better yet, make it an option for audio, text, or both).

What do you guys think? I'd like some feedback on this. I always got tired of my character not screaming or anything when he just fought through a horde of zombies, bleeding from all over.

Hmm... I like the idea of more player meta sounds but I don't think this really reflects the reality of pain. I broke my ankle in 5 places, but I never screamed. I just kinda fell over and whimpered. I don't think I have a higher than average pain tolerance either.

Also, when you know that if you make noise you may be killed (by a million zombies) or harmed (by same zombies), I think you're less apt to scream, even while in pain. The death scream still makes sense because it's your last "f**k you" to the world.

On 3/5/2016 at 1:58 AM, Demonic_Kat said:

Hmm... I like the idea of more player meta sounds but I don't think this really reflects the reality of pain. I broke my ankle in 5 places, but I never screamed. I just kinda fell over and whimpered. I don't think I have a higher than average pain tolerance either.

Also, when you know that if you make noise you may be killed (by a million zombies) or harmed (by same zombies), I think you're less apt to scream, even while in pain. The death scream still makes sense because it's your last "f**k you" to the world.

I like the death scream, and a bite scream. Getting teeth sunk in to you and tearing has got to be a horrendously painful experience, especially with the added realization that you're almost certainly screwed even if you don't bleed out or otherwise die on the spot.

But for fractures, I'm not sure. I've had a number of broken bones, like Demonic_Kat, I didn't scream. So it would have to have a chance based on the location and the overall health of the player otherwise.  I broke both my radius and ulna when I was 2 or 3 while trying to climb out of my crib, and I didn't scream or cry. Just told my brother I hurt my arm. Later when I was 15 I broke my radius, damaged both wrists and got gravel embedded in the size of my face and ear, and I didn't scream. However when I was 17, I broke my pinky toe in 3 places, and surprisingly it hurt WAY worse that all the previous breaks. I didn't scream in pain, but I did collapse and shout a string of obscenities. If I were in a situation where I had to be quiet, I don't think I could have remained totally quiet, unless perhaps I was high on adrenaline at the time. Otherwise at least gasps of pain and heavy breathing. So not silent for sure.

• 2 weeks later...