IWBUMS: Build 34.12

EasyPickins

I'm not berating anyone, and of course you are free to and even should do what you feel is best for the project. I am just voicing my opinion that a little heads up before it went live would not have hurt anyone. This being your project, you are absolutely in the right to say that it could and would hurt things, but I think it's an over reaction to say that my post was berating the developers. This sudden change will be an exciting surprise to most and a blind-siding nightmare to others. I have no strong opinion either way.

We were trying to keep it a surprise and gift to the majority of players, not just those who use hydrocraft. Saying that, EP has coded in a way to automatically resize the hydro sprites to 2x size, so they're not shrunk compared to the rest of the game.

The tone of your post was very definitely berating the devs, even if you didn't intend it to, that's how it reads.

54 minutes ago, zomboid123 said:

Hydromancerx was already dreading updating all the food items for the nutrition system, when he finds out that all of his mods art is now going to stick out like a sore thumb I wouldn't blame him if he called it quits.

54 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Let's hope hydromancerx doesn't quit.

I'm not playing with Hydrocraft on my solo game, just played it on Redboid and generally like the idea of it from what I saw/read online, so I may not know how much of a deal is with the upgrade and keeping up the work on the mod, but wouldn't it be better to first hear what @Hydromancerx himself says? I really like the new "HD" graphics in Zomboid and with Hydrocraft style not always fitting the PZ style, I'd say it might be a good time to upgrade. Especially, as I saw there's some amazing graphical artist (tagging you again @Cyrrent Eiledoll) being done :).

Actually, seeing how big and popular Hydrocraft is, I wouldn't mind if Hydromancer would get some slight help from TIS with graphical art, or even better, incorporate some of the Hydrocraft's work along the way (though I don't like some things from Hydrocraft and for the time being it's good it's an optional mod). Keep in mind that it's the first IWBUMS of the new art, so I'm sure there's still plenty of time to adjust the art, so let's see how it goes for Hydrocraft, hopefully it'd only bring good stuff in :)

The nutrition system is a core part of the gameplay, I really doubt they will give the option to turn it off.

They might give the option to alter the rate at which you burn calories and macronutrient but I really doubt they will give an option to completely turn it off. 

Try it out and give some feedback on it.  It' still in development and can be improved but RJ did a really good foundation for a much better nutrition system (both gameplay wise and realistic wise).

If you think it can be improved mention your idea on how to improve it.

2 minutes ago, vanorfeadiel said:

The nutrition system is a core part of the gameplay, I really doubt they will give the option to turn it off.

They might give the option to alter the rate at which you burn calories and macronutrient but I really doubt they will give an option to completely turn it off. 

Try it out and give some feedback on it.  It' still in development and can be improved but RJ did a really good foundation for a much better nutrition system (both gameplay wise and realistic wise).

If you think it can be improved mention your idea on how to improve it.

Oh, I've got no problem with it and I look forward to playing around with it, just I'm sure I read here somewhere it would be optional for sandbox and I couldn't see it in the settings.

Anything that makes the game/my stupidity kill me more often is fine with me.

7 minutes ago, Foulmouth said:

Oh, I've got no problem with it and I look forward to playing around with it, just I'm sure I read here somewhere it would be optional for sandbox and I couldn't see it in the settings.

Anything that makes the game/my stupidity kill me more often is fine with me.

I started a SandBox world, And it wasn't there...Maybe thats just a bug or something.

2 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I would agree and everything but the art style is so good now, It really sucks about hydrocraft I loved the hell out of that mod. Let's hope hydromancerx doesn't quit.

I heard ahead of time from someone that shall remain nameless. I felt like quitting when i first heard. But i talked with one of my artists and we got a small head start. However we have a long way to go.

Note that Cyrrent was sadly left in the dark. Sorry dude. Did not want it to leak and ruin the surprise.

Edited by Hydromancerx

I have some question marks on some tiles on my game too, I think I have a few mods but none to interfere with art-style? Or maybe they do. I was wondering why it said Mash's Secret Project...

But... Um, I don't see any difference at all in the art-style. No offence to Mash, but what am I supposed to be seeing? All I've noticed is lighting updates faster and I can zoom in one extra bit. Can someone show me a before and after pretty please? I seriously don't see it.

Also, for performance, texture compression on or off? I assume on right? I'm more interested in seeing the art difference though.

Edited by MadDan2013

Just now, MadDan2013 said:

I have some question marks on some tiles on my game too, I think I have a few mods but none to interfere with art-style? Or maybe they do. I was wondering why it said Mash's Secret Project...

But... Um, I don't see any difference at all in the art-style. No offence to Mash, but what am i supposed to be seeing? All I've noticed is lighting updates faster and I can zoom in one extra bit. Can someone show me a before and after pretty please? I seriously don't see it.

Also, for performance, texture compression on or off? I assume on right? I'm more interested in seeing the art difference though.

Check http://pzmap.crash-override.net/ for the old art style, then compare with your game. You should definately see a difference.

26 minutes ago, blindcoder said:

Check http://pzmap.crash-override.net/ for the old art style, then compare with your game. You should definately see a difference.

Actually, I do remember noticing the character's clothes looking different with more creases and such, knew there was something changed. I'm seriously not trying to discredit anyone's work, I know effort was put in all this time and I'm not trying to be like that but I only notice the shaders difference which was already in the game. So far it's only the character's creases on their clothing. Trust me, I really wish I could see it, I love how the character's look.

10 minutes ago, zomboid123 said:

It seems that when you move a fridge it loses its freezer compartment.

Can confirm, moving the fridge was bugged in the last nutrition test builds as well.

Also, the white color model of the commercial fridge is missing the 20 weight freezer completely. Only the black variation was fixed.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

4 hours ago, zomboid123 said:

So you may have just killed the hydrocraft mod with this drastic switch in art style with no notice. Hydromancerx was already dreading updating all the food items for the nutrition system, when he finds out that all of his mods art is now going to stick out like a sore thumb I wouldn't blame him if he called it quits. I know you wanted this to be a big surprise, but you had tons of modders working on art that no longer fits the art style of the game.

4 hours ago, kirrus said:

We must do what's best for the game, which is not always what's best for modders. We do sympathise with the extra workload, but this is not a hugely drastic switch in art style. The style is generarally staying the same. The change is in resolution. Please don't berate the devs for doing what they think is best with a game which is in continuing development. It's called an alpha for a reason.

If Hydromancer dreaded an update, then that's a shame. Dreading something means it's not fun, or enjoyable to update, upgrade, or fix whatever is wrong with his project. Sounds like he's not having fun, if he actually said that.

I frequently watch the IWBUMS updates to see what's around the corner, however, I don't see a reason to update as a means to be negative about the game's progress, as modders are and always will be tertiary to the needs of the game (Players first, Developers second). 

If Hydromancer cares about his mod pack (Which I know he does considering all the fuss and traffic over it when things update), then I'm positive he (or his group of people), will update that pretty quickly. It's only a matter of time. 

I need to get comparison shots of old and new for Mondoid, but I have a stinking cold and am mostly lying in bed feeling sorry for myself.

I thought I'd open it up to the forum, with the chance of winning a spare key for The Witcher 3 that I have handy for the best old vs new comparison shot that I use at the very top of the Mondoid?

Sound like fun? We'd need something like this... but less amateur / obviously done by me who is rubbish.

EDIT: Official thread here: 

new.jpg

old.jpg

Hello , Nice update , the new art is very different to the old art but is beautiful.

But are there any plans to make a performance update?

My game runs quite low even at the recommended resolution and before at 1980x1080 it ran at 60 fps.

Edited by axeladalidez78

Just now, Batsphinx said:

It's a bug, it'll return :)

I'm liking the new art style, all I'm going to say is that it will take some getting used to for me. I can deal with change though - great job on everything, the art looks really cool.