Personality Traits - Complex Traits

Slice985

I searched and didn't see anything. I was wondering we could do Complex Traits. Things that change the way we play rather then just a +1 this or that. Right now unhappiness doesn't really do anything, there are mods where you can reread books and wipe boredom away. you can solve boredom by reading a newspaper. But after awhile. You read. Oh hey, the Raiders won the Superbowl... Bet they won't do it again this year.. 

Take me for example

My character gets bored when i'm screwing around sorting items. This kinda sucks because I am very OCD and a Perfectionist and I spend a lot of time sorting items in my base. It makes me happy to do these things while playing the game. You could spend points to buy this trait, I would just on this alone. 

However, if possible I think it would be great if the trait could have more then just one meaning. What if it started with gaining happiness to sort things, but if you are carrying bags with missorted items then it causes unhappiness. if you shove items from more then 2 or 3 different spawn types into a certain bag then it triggers (Example: A bag with a warehouse crate item, a medical item, a house food item, a weapon, a bathroom item) To bypass this is to sort bags inside of bags or carry multiple bags, or use the proper bags, like sticking medical things in a medical bag. The character could also be unhappy if stuff is on the floor, if trash items are on shelves, seeing broken windows, dirty bandages or rags as bandages instead of proper bandages. Etc. etc.  Maybe call it a subtrait called Perfectionist. 

Maybe if your character gets to unhappy, they start to do weird things. Take my perfectionist, say he just starts picking up random trash, automatically picking up things that don't belong in the right box. Walking past a broken window may cause them to automatically just start clearing the broken glass. They might rip off dirty bandages. 

There are many other things, Like a Thrill Seeker needs some level of panic, a Nomad might hate staying in the same place for more then a day. A homebody might get upset if you move to far from where you slept the night before. An outdoorsy person may be unhappy sleeping in a bed or chair instead of a tent. A Socialite may need to talk to NPCs or read magazines and books, listen to the raid. An angry person may need to break things or hit zombies. A pyro may need to light a fire or will start one randomly, A fraidy cat may not be able to sleep unless ALL entrances to the room are barricaded. An architect may need to build stuff, a protector may need to make sure a whole area is clear of zombies. Each can have pluses and minuses depending on how you play. 

That was just an idea, Do with this what you will. 

Edited by Slice985

1 hour ago, Slice985 said:

My character gets bored when i'm screwing around sorting items. This kinda sucks because I am very OCD and I spend a lot of time sorting items in my base. It makes me happy to do these things while playing the game.

Welcome in the club :) The majority of time I spend in the game is also while sorting items out.

I'm a bit puzzled about the trait though. I wouldn't mind it, especially as it's optional, but I wouldn't be sure I'd take it for the idea of mismatched bags (I stuff all my "survival"/loot run items in one bag I always carry around, plus at loot runs I just worry about taking the most stuff with me - it would make sense with more specialized containers/inventory system that should be holding stuff better to have bad mood for stuffing ammo in the first aid kit bag for example :)) and, especially as of the latest nuntition builds which limit most containers capacity, I keep on using floor as a container until I'll bring more furniture or level up carpentry - but on the other hand it kinda annoys me that they don't have a proper container for them yet, especially as I'll be able to eventually stuff more stuff on it, so havig penalty for it would make sense.

I'm a bit worried it might be a bit of greater think to properly code for now, especially as now most items don't have tags other than item, food, weapon, ammo and clothing and it'd be hard to distinguish warehouse items from household stuff for example. Also giving a bonus/penalty based on the item lying on floor may be hard too (don't vouch on me though, it's just assumption) and would need a bit extra code to implement and then check for bugs.

What I'd love to see though would be some new skill or stat bonuses that would get leveled up from moving items around - that way I'd feel that the stuff I'm doing gives some benefits to my character in addition to my personal enjoyment, especially since now we have traits and moods that both modify speed of taking items, container capacity and carrying capacity.

I'd love to see a new skill, "organizing" or whatever's the name that would increase container capacity, speed of taking items and/or carrying capacity. At least you get some strength progress from moving items around when encumbered :)

5 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

I love this idea, however, one thing about this that won't get implemented is the character doing things by themselves. The team said that they didn't want any loss of control of your character in this game.

I may missed something, but I don't recall anything being mentioned what would make the character uncontrollable? If it's from my post, then sorry, it might be a bad slection of words, as I only meant that it would be nice to have some skill bonuses for things that currently don't grant it (moving stuff) - and if it's in the OP's post, then I might have missed it :P

15 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

I may missed something, but I don't recall anything being mentioned what would make the character uncontrollable? If it's from my post, then sorry, it might be a bad slection of words, as I only meant that it would be nice to have some skill bonuses for things that currently don't grant it (moving stuff) - and if it's in the OP's post, then I might have missed it :P

I was talking about the OP. He said: "Take my perfectionist, say he just starts picking up random trash, automatically picking up things that don't belong in the right box. Walking past a broken window may cause them to automatically just start clearing the broken glass. They might rip off dirty bandages."

Which would cause the player to lose control of their character.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember seeing something similar to this but it was following rather than saying it wasn't just +1 or - 1 it was rather a new type of trait in general, Still following the game changing play style or so i think. Things like a trait that may boost this while also harming this (not just skill wise either.)