Zombie spawning might need some work

willow512

Question

But i'm still very maddened by how zombies are currently working. I played in sandbox mode with low zombie density. After 3 days, there are about 500+ zombies within an ingame 1/4 mile radius of my base and nearby storage house. This lead to my death because this new zombie walking seems a little broken atm. Seems like they just walk at your position instead of randomly and the very few map sounds don't really lead them away anymore. I mean I miss the big group of a hoard all grouped together not really moving since no food was to be found, where you could at least use strategy and sound to lead them out of your way. Currently these 500+ zombies are spread out and there is just no possible way to kill them all, lead them away from my base, or anything else. Very maddening. I appreciate all the work you do but can you explain why I have 500+ zombies in such a cluster fook in a low zombie density setting? Would very much like to know if this is a bug in settings, AI, pathfinding, etc. 

I kinda agree with this, it seems that wherever you are zombies just begin to eventually spawn. I could be wrong but the meta game events seem spread around the player, which causes any meta game event to draw zombies into your area. 

If you go to the western farm, and stay there minding your own business, farming crops and building walls, then the odds of a large horde arriving should be minimal. It could have course happen. But it should be rare. Right now it seems that wherever you settle, a big horde will arrive on your doorstep in a few days.

The spawning is also a little off. I even had a zombie spawn inside my fence once, I was gardning with my back turned to a blind fence that surrounded a very small and uncluttered area, then suddenly a zombie appeared behind me. Even Ezio Auditore could not have repeated that feat. Great way to keep me on my toes. But not as realistic as I'd hope. If a zombie is inside my walls, I expect the barrier to be broken.

Ok so I posted this to the forum, went to bed in the northern farm, not a zombie in sight. The next morning I wake up, save, reload, brush my teeth, look out over my new porch and shat my pants.

I don't understand why they're there or have any idea on how to get rid of them. I've heard no gunshots or other meta game events, and even if I had, I'd figure I'd be out of earshot. Maybe 2 or three would show up but that would be it. The area was deserted, I walked around to be sure.

I arrived at the farm two days before the screenshot. I wanted to build a fortress here and go for a long term self sufficiency game staying away from the town and just laying low, trying to finally get some seeds to grow. The day before I chopped some wood and broke the door to the hen house because there was one of those deadheads hiding in there. I also planted some seeds and watered them.

I'm posting this in bugs, to hopefully raise this functionality to bug status, because I very much doubt that just planting 100 zombies in formation in the players backyard is intended. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it. If it were the first time I'd see this I'd consider it a fluke, but it isn't, this happens a lot (See quoted post). And to be honest, it ruined this game for me. I could roll with the punches and go someplace else. But I keep doing that, the game before this one the same thing happened, I wanted to try my hands at base building. But I'm pretty sure that if I go someplace else and start building in just a few days I'll find a horde parked outside in a similar fashion.

visitors.jpg

Don't usually write on forums but I really do love this game and I agree that the "spawning" is the biggest issue right now. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. What makes me angry however is when crawlers spawn in my garden, waking up and going for a stroll just to get bit in the foot by a zombie hiding amongst your broccoli will make anyone quit the game and go punch a hole in the wall.

As for the ones outside my house, I just wish they'd would stop making such a mess.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2r5gm1j.jpg

I'm sure we'll see a sollution to the spawning. Spawn zombies wherever you want, just not in a blob outside my house and definately not in my garden. If they then decide to walk to my house because I'm making too much noice or because they just want my broccoli, that I can accept.

Don't usually write on forums but I really do love this game and I agree that the "spawning" is the biggest issue right now. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. What makes me angry however is when crawlers spawn in my garden, waking up and going for a stroll just to get bit in the foot by a zombie hiding amongst your broccoli will make anyone quit the game and go punch a hole in the wall.

As for the ones outside my house, I just wish they'd would stop making such a mess.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2r5gm1j.jpg

I'm sure we'll see a sollution to the spawning. Spawn zombies wherever you want, just not in a blob outside my house and definately not in my garden. If they then decide to walk to my house because I'm making too much noice or because they just want my broccoli, that I can accept.

That is glorious! you should post that pic in the screenshot competition ^^

they should take out the random gun shot and chopper noises and just make the hordes move on there own so like you may get a horde passing through and leave as long as you don't attract them of course.

You come up with some mean long sentences, mang

I must admit the zombie spawn issue has proven very fustrating for me, i found where ever i chose to sleep i get one the horde appearing 2-3 days into the game any game (not tired latest steam beta, but am using version 17)

I found building a base anywhere is just a death sentence even without meta events, only way i can survives lately is to have a safe place to store my stuff but NEVER sleep there, and remain 'on the move' in reguards to where i stay the night.  It seems to be the only way to slow down the appearance of these magical hordes that appear.

I more than once clear a whole horde of those with melee attacks only, only to find another appear the next night and the night after and the night after.... even after relocating :-(

Once the magic zombies are fix i play test some more, but in meantime i find it touch fustrating lol

^ Well said. I'm experiencing the same. It kind of makes the whole safe-house and carpenting aspect of the game a bit pointless.

I'm hoping the problem will be addressed when NPCs are introduced again. The less all-knowing the AI is, the better

. . . Update your builds.

New build is awesome in terms of stuff they added but can't even begin to test if it's fixed due to the crashes and lag/stuttering (In 2 hours of playing it, I had about 4 crashes, one character deletion, and twice lost progress :???: ). 

New build is awesome in terms of stuff they added but can't even begin to test if it's fixed due to the crashes and lag/stuttering (In 2 hours of playing it, I had about 4 crashes, one character deletion, and twice lost progress :???: ). 

Would be valuable if you'd provide reports on these crashes, and more info on character deletion and losing progress and so on. Any errors you get, conditions and details on how they happened.

Would be valuable if you'd provide reports on these crashes, and more info on character deletion and losing progress and so on. Any errors you get, conditions and details on how they happened.

I posted all of these information in my bug report list here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2480-bugs-build-17-0008/

I read many pages of the thread. Forgive me for not finishing every post of all 12 pages, but has anyone brought up Splattercat's YouTube playthrough? I've observed this zombie spawning issue in my games, and I noticed Splattercat expressed frustration particularly at his inability to destroy zombie hordes. Granted, he was using a shotgun, but he never seemed to make any progress. Do zombies really migrate in faster than you can kill them? Anyway, in my own games, I have observed this spawning behavior. Hordes seem to pop up irrationally where they did not exist seconds ago (sans world event).

I read many pages of the thread. Forgive me for not finishing every post of all 12 pages, but has anyone brought up Splattercat's YouTube playthrough? I've observed this zombie spawning issue in my games, and I noticed Splattercat expressed frustration particularly at his inability to destroy zombie hordes. Granted, he was using a shotgun, but he never seemed to make any progress. Do zombies really migrate in faster than you can kill them? Anyway, in my own games, I have observed this spawning behavior. Hordes seem to pop up irrationally where they did not exist seconds ago (sans world event).

Does it seem any different in the newest version? I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet.

The way it works is certainly different post Halloween. I won't go into any details, because it's not something they've really discussed in public, but things should be better. This is likely a temporary stopgap still in lieu of actually spending a lot of time on it when it will just need to be changed down the road.

i slept at NorthEast farm house. before this all windows and doors were closed, all zombies in house and surrounds were cleanised. wake up as usual, no one near, all quiet. i take some food and walk outside far south. game crashes. i load auto-sleep-save. when it's finish loading i wake up in same chair but it's was a dummy zombie standing two meters from me!