Please add generic items even if they have no use

MXXIV

Currently households do not really contain realistic amount of items. Many tools such as pincers, drill bits, wire cutter, motor oil are missing from garages and tool sheds. The same applies to kitchens and toilets.

The problem here is if mod authors define those items, we have item conflicts. It would be much better if mod authors only defined their mod specific items using the combination of existing typical items.

Second problem is that people can collect those items, even without purpose, because maybe later in game an use will be added for them. If the item is added along with use, they have to extend their search radius to find the items in already looted map.

I can already see some random items popping in game and I think it's great! I just want to express how important I think it is.

@MashPotato I didn't think about that. Although many users are probably aware that the game is under quick development, some probably aren't.

Still the issue of (possible) duplicate item definitions by mods should be addressed IMHO. I thought about other things, such as separating items from mods, since that already somewhat works.

Lots of items were already added in one batch actually :). The MashPotato made a good point though. While I am now used some items have no use, I keep on thinking that they'd have some use in real life anyway. I kinda liked how every item could be used as a zombie weapon in Dead Rising, although it's more of a comedy zombie game that what PZ is :P

I still would love to use mop, saw and possibly few other items currently not implemented as an improvised weapons - especially since we already have spoons!

I think more items will come over time anyway, especially after some blocking issues will be settled, like new animation system (= more weapons and clothing), vehicles (= vehicle parts, etc) or NPCs (=some sort of currency for barter, some items already have an IsWelcomeGift flag set anyway).

Edited by Faalagorn
added clothing to the list

8 hours ago, MashPotato said:

The problem with adding stuff that has no gameplay purpose is that people will EXPECT them to have a purpose, and will get frustrated or confused when there isn't one, especially if it seems like something that would be useful (eg. what happened when we added screws)

Wait...so screws have no use?

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2016 at 5:48 AM, MXXIV said:

Currently households do not really contain realistic amount of items. Many tools such as pincers, drill bits, wire cutter, motor oil are missing from garages and tool sheds. The same applies to kitchens and toilets.

The problem here is if mod authors define those items, we have item conflicts. It would be much better if mod authors only defined their mod specific items using the combination of existing typical items.

Second problem is that people can collect those items, even without purpose, because maybe later in game an use will be added for them. If the item is added along with use, they have to extend their search radius to find the items in already looted map.

I can already see some random items popping in game and I think it's great! I just want to express how important I think it is.

i feel the exact same way. I've been playing with the Hydrocraft mod for Zomboid recently, and while I do like it I'd rather have something made by the devs. It added a ton of clutter, and while it does make it harder to find useful things..that's the part I actually like now though. It's much harder, and tenser to find what exactly you're looking for on runs..simulating as if you're looking through drawers, and cabinets. Beyond just having clutter for realism, it would serve as an inconvenience of having to search through everything, and being inexperienced not knowing what will be useful, or not. Plus, like you said eventually the devs could add more creative realistic purpose to seemingly useless items in the future if they wanted. 

On 01/03/2016 at 8:31 PM, MashPotato said:

The problem with adding stuff that has no gameplay purpose is that people will EXPECT them to have a purpose, and will get frustrated or confused when there isn't one, especially if it seems like something that would be useful (eg. what happened when we added screws)

Its true!  Building with screws makes things waay stronger than built with nails :(