Bewiseboys

Making Noise via Chat Conversations with People

Hey there lovely survivors!

I have recently come up with something to add to the game and since no one seems to have thought of it before, I've decided to write it down myself.

I think it would be cool that the characters produced noise whenever you use the chat feature to communicate with players. If the conversations are long, nearby zombies will hear the sound and maybe come closer to the source. If the player is using capital letters (caps) the character will be shouting, so more noise and more chances of attracting a group of zombies.

What do you think about it? It would not make a big impact on the experience but it's something that contributes to it.

If it's not implemeneted yet, it could be similar to the TV/radio messages. Player can opt which kind of volume they use (regular, shout, whisper) and the text would be heard from only a certain lengths, both by players and zombies, showing less of it the further you are (with dots).

The system could either use ALL CAPS for shouting and something along the lines of special signs for whispering, like *asterisks* (though they are regularily associated with bold, but there are also hashes # and other signs), which I'd prefer as it'd be nicer to type and look more natural to write in roleplay scenarios, or alternatively /shout (/s) and /whisper (/w) prefixes.

I was under the impression that this was already in the game since talking almost always lead to zed attacking us, but there is a good chance that that was just coincidence.

If it's not implemented, it definitely should be in the future. It adds a whole dimension to scavenging as a group especially in a zed-infested mall.

1 hour ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I was under the impression that this was already in the game since talking almost always lead to zed attacking us, but there is a good chance that that was just coincidence.

If it's not implemented, it definitely should be in the future. It adds a whole dimension to scavenging as a group especially in a zed-infested mall.

Then we had the same coincidence because i remember that we were behind a zombie that hadn't spot us yet, we typed something and he came to us.

I tested this again and wrote a "!" and zombies notice it and came to me, so i guess this is already kinda implemented?

I've thought for awhile that having a visual indication of how much noise your character is making would be useful. Simply because some 'sounds' that we make don't play any sounds for us the player to hear. Just like this scenario here.

It would also be useful for identifying how much more effective your sneaking is (as you level it up), how much louder sprinting is, how loud sawing logs are in comparison to say barricading windows or building a box, etc.

IRL we can all tell how loud we're being (unless we're deaf), but there are some things in this game that are difficult to distinguish the volume level of. Is filling that pot of water really as loud as chopping down a tree? They sound the same to me in game.

Edited by CaptKaspar

56 minutes ago, tosayu said:

I thought this was implemented. I like Faalagorn's idea of letting us choose volume when we type.

I was thinking of that, it would be good to let us whisper, yell, talk normally and stuff like that, if you whisper at some distance than it would look like when you have radio at low volume.