Zombies shouldn't attack objects at random when they are bored

MXXIV

Currently, when zombies get bored they start vandalizing everything in their reach. Larger group of zombies quickly wipe away all windows and doors in player's proximity. Which is another thing - zombies only destroy stuff when player is close. When I sneak to a group of zombies even though they don't seem me they will slowly disperse and start destroying surrounding objects. It is very typical of them to find water barrels.

Zombies often walk long distances in order to attack player-made objects. This is making me feel the game is cheating on me - especially if zombies walk around the wall to attack said water barrel or door. This is even worse due to A* nature of zombies pathfinder.

I see nothing wrong with zombie destroying objects that interfere with it's path, but there must be a motivation for this action! Why would zombie just go to window to destroy it? When I approached the market (lot's of big windows), after just one day all windows and doors were broken.

The only upside is that I don't need to break doors to get hinges and doorknobs. I just walk around the city and pick what zombies left behind them.

What do they exactly hear behind my water barrels and why don't they simply walk around them? Are you sure you're playing the latest version? I've even seen other people complaining about destroyed windows and doors all around the game map.

What do they exactly hear behind my water barrels and why don't they simply walk around them? Are you sure you're playing the latest version? I've even seen other people complaining about destroyed windows and doors all around the game map.

*Grugles*

Imagination, dude. Search the forum and you'll see this has been discussed to death and acknowledged by both devs and mods alike that it can be improved upon.

A visual sound meter would be handy.

How much noise does sprinting inside my base actually make? How loud is that compared to sawing logs, or barricading a window? How much quieter is sneaking than walking?

IRL we can hear the difference.

I'll try to pay better attention during my next play, but I don't recall player made noises being played at distinctly higher/lower volumes.

Zombies regularly attack door close to them even of I'm on their side of door - so it's not my noise that attracts them to the door. Also as I said I've seen them walk rather long distances directly to attack door even though I wasn't neer or behind that door.

Zombies regularly attack door close to them even of I'm on their side of door - so it's not my noise that attracts them to the door. Also as I said I've seen them walk rather long distances directly to attack door even though I wasn't neer or behind that door.

Might be ambient noises like dog barking across the house, tv sound from inside house can be another reason or maybe just the zombies "zombie see.. zombie doo..." :P

Players aren't the only stimuli in the game, as I already said.

4 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

I think zombies who don't destroy wantonly are less scary. I think it takes the threat level down to remove the "I kill everything that is not nailed down... On second thought I kill that nailed down thing too.." from the zombies "thinking" patterns.

Yes, but do you think realistic zombie would attack crates and water barrels on sight? I can image big group of zombies stomping stuff, bit single one?

41 minutes ago, MXXIV said:

Yes, but do you think realistic zombie would attack crates and water barrels on sight? I can image big group of zombies stomping stuff, bit single one?

See this is where it becomes a matter of opinion. Saying "realistic" and zombie in the same sentence cannot be interpreted the same by everyone because zombies are not real. To put that in perspective: imagine the color markadorium. Now that you have it in mind, can you say for a fact that what you're imagining will be the same for everyone else?

The developers of PZ have made their own brand of zombies. It just so happens that this type of zombie has a zeal for kicking crates and chewing the screws out of water barrels. Maybe later they will decide that they enjoy eating wall plaster, who knows?

I personally like that they destroy things, it gives me more reason to build more. Like I mentioned before though, this is just my opinion.