Extracting bank sound file

ShuiYin

So, there are guides out there on how to extract the audio. It's a 'lil bit technical, but since we'd like to sell the music later, we'd like to keep explicit PZ guides off the forums. If you wanna write one, feel free, just ssshhhh. ;)

The main reason to sell the music is to give some more back to our amazing audio genius, Zach Beaver.

So, in other words, if you work it out, ssshhhh. :D

So, there are guides out there on how to extract the audio. It's a 'lil bit technical, but since we'd like to sell the music later, we'd like to keep explicit PZ guides off the forums. If you wanna write one, feel free, just ssshhhh. ;)

The main reason to sell the music is to give some more back to our amazing audio genius, Zach Beaver.

So, in other words, if you work it out, ssshhhh. :D

ahahahah :) i was going to look at what available sound effects in the sound banks. i was making many recipes that might use some sounds and i was hoping that i might find a sound let say to represent the rubber duck quacking. (its on my new toy recipes that will cause sound to attract zombie from a small radius). maybe release the sound file names perhaps :P so that i do not end up extracting it Lol. (i try not to add new files and use vanilla ones in my mod)

You can leave out the soundtracks from the list too so just a list of sound effects :P.

btw i sincerely wish that the audio sale will be a success :) and so you guys can get more out of your hard work and amazing product :)

Also why sell the soundtrack if we can already find them all in the game files?

To give composer some profit too. Also, you could get them in higher quality (24-bit FLAC please :P), more audio formats (OGG for portables, FLAC/WAV for hifi and conversion - or MP3 and ACC, but these are not royality free) and with proper tagging out of box. Don't mentioning you won't have to bother with extraction.

Plus I bet there are more audios to be included beside those that are in-game from the composer that are not included in game (yet?) - that, or extended versions for your listening pleasure :)

Edited by Faalagorn

Does this mean we won't be able to change music or sounds like we could before Fmod was in the game?

I think you could still change the audio fairly easily by modifying some lines in scripts and lua.

Your second line is the reason it's no longer easily accessible :P All being said, I'm guilty of buying some video game OSTs despite the fact that I managed to easily extract them from the game itself before I did that. Just to support the creator. Most of video game music composers don't get nearly enough credit and cash for their work and their work is oftentimes leagues ahead of what I hear on the radio.

You can't find them in the game files. You can find the old titles in there, yes. Not the new ones without a bit of fiddling.

Why sell the soundtrack? Answered by kirrus:

To give composer some profit too. Also, you could get them in higher quality (24-bit FLAC please :P), more audio formats (OGG for portables, FLAC/WAV for hifi and conversion - or MP3 and ACC, but these are not royality free) and with proper tagging out of box. Don't mentioning you won't have to bother with extraction.

Plus I bet there are more audios to be included beside those that are in-game from the composer that are not included in game (yet?) - that, or extended versions for your listening pleasure :)

Does this mean we won't be able to change music or sounds like we could before Fmod was in the game?

I think you could still change the audio fairly easily by modifying some lines in scripts and lua.

Your second line is the reason it's no longer easily accessible :P All being said, I'm guilty of buying some video game OSTs despite the fact that I managed to easily extract them from the game itself before I did that. Just to support the creator. Most of video game music composers don't get nearly enough credit and cash for their work and their work is oftentimes leagues ahead of what I hear on the radio.

People the music files ARE accessible, they're just not part of the game anymore.

Look I got proof:

post-24012-0-26833800-1456441353_thumb.p

post-24012-0-84815200-1456441362_thumb.p

As this game is very friendly towards modders and other content creators I'd like to be able to change the music if I so desire. Problem is I have absolutley 0 experience in modding so I was hoping this could be done in the way of Minecraft's Resource packs.

Yea we should support developers in games that we truly enjoy :) this way they too will get monetary benefit and feeling of appreciation and will continue to improve the product.

Those are the old sound files, and the soundtrack component is still accessible through the Options screen . . .  The soundtrack itself is stil moddable.

We're not arguing this, guys. The reasoning is given above.

Sorry for starting this thread :( no harm was intended, i didnt even know about the sound being purposefully protected before this.

A modder can trigger any of the tracks within the bank files, it seems. We'll see if a list of effects is possible for modders.

Thx mr Kirrus i hope we can see the list so we can test trigger them to see if its appropriate for the mod we are making.

No discredit to the music maker, he did a very good job.

I know the thread is about "Extracting music from the bank files".

No Extraction possible, uh? My goal is not to ''steal'' the music from the bank files. I dont want to extract anything.

Off course, Bank files are not openable, or very difficult to do so, anyway. The game runs the music via that bank files.

Allright! We got it.

So we need to create our own Bank Files with custom audio in it I guess? Using Fmod?

The game will "read" in the new Bank files we just created? (Important to use the same song name)

According to modding lua files, the game triggers a song depending on dramas and such, it will select "Chase.ogg" for exemple. Inside the lua file, I believe you can change all the song names you want if the name differs from the original track inside your custom bank files. First, I thought it was looking inside the music foIder. Then I started looking at the Banks Files.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just a quick question regarding the old sound file location and custom soundtracks, since project zomboid integrated fmod that is when all the modified soundtracks stopped and they now run off the bank files mentioned, my question is what is the possibility of making the old sound file location active again and we can use that as way to put out our own custom music in rather than temper with the bank files themselves and just have an option in the music library in game called custom, which runs off the old soundtrack location? I really did enjoye having resident evil and silent hill soundtracks play during some of the in game events on zomboid :D, I like the soundtrack composed by Zack but I do enjoy having the ability to change music files and replace them with my own choosing, I feel it gets me immersed faster, unless that would somehow conflict with fmod?

I spent ages trying to find it but couldn't so I asked and now desperately awaiting them to be on sale. Hell, I even looked on Spotify and I don't know why I'd think it was there. It's also the fact the newer ones are, I guess subjectively, better.