"Hip/belt" bubble under the bubble/icon for your two hands

tosayu

Since we now have flashlights, keys, radios, etc, I think it would be great to add a hip bubble where you could equip at least one item.

Anything that is equipped there will continue to work (like radio) or can be quickly transferred to your hands or slightly less quickly swapped with whatever is in your hand.

Or maybe we could have a utility belt...or..I am not sure how to implement this idea.

I just like the idea of having something on your hip, be it radio or flashlight that is quickly turned off and on, or being able to use your belt or craft a special belt that can hold a back up baseball bat or hammer to quickly exchange if your main tool/weapon breaks.  <---Dang that is my best run on sentence ever with an inordinate amount of "or"s.  (clyde)

Maybe a quick way to cylce through tools.  

Maybe a hotkey can be set up to drop an item and equip what is in your "hip" bubble and/or another hot key that lets you swap item, albeit slower then dropping but quicker then searching in your bag.

It is just an idea in progress. There is nothing concrete in my mind.

I got under the impression that the whole basic inventory is basically somewhere on you - be it pockets, belt etc. (don't make much sense when you run naked, but well).

I do however really enjoy inventories system in Jagged Alliance v1.13 mod, Brigade E5/7.62 High Calibre or NEO Scavenger (the latter one is for sure known to TIS team :)) - but I don't know whether or not such system will be implemented in PZ somewhere down the road. The current system is vastly simplified.

I got under the impression that the whole basic inventory is basically somewhere on you - be it pockets, belt etc. (don't make much sense when you run naked, but well).

I was just thinking about this the other day. Something was bothering me about inventory, but I couldn't place my hand on it.  There was a mechanical dissonance nagging me.

This might be an unpopular suggestion, but I think the inventory might need a tweak.  I think I would be more immersed if each hand also had an icon like the backpack icon; in other words they acted as containers.  They could hold 1/2 your carrying weight.  So if you can carry 12, you could put 6 in each hand.  If you equipped a weapon or item in a hand, then you automatically dropped everything in that hand.

You could then open up more containers on different clothing types, belts, bags, bags that attach to belts, backpacks, bags you can hold in hand, or maybe craft stuff to hook sacks onto belts or contraptions.

Everything would then be placed in containers.  They only thing in your main inventory will be what you wear and special items to help carry stuff. Potentially you could place what you are holding in your hands there as well.  Inventory ui might need to be reworked to show more contents in containers for quick transfers.

You could even get detailed enough that you can loop a plastic bag through your offhand and still keep it free radios, flashlights, etc.

This suggestion would open up immersion for stuff like utility belts that hold tools and give very fast transfer rates to your hands.

I think that would add to the immersion. What do you think? Good idea or too tedious for fun game play?

This might be an unpopular suggestion, but I think the inventory might need a tweak.  I think I would be more immersed if each hand also had an icon like the backpack icon; in other words they acted as containers.  They could hold 1/2 your carrying weight.  So if you can carry 12, you could put 6 in each hand.  If you equipped a weapon or item in a hand, then you automatically dropped everything in that hand.

You could then open up more containers on different clothing types, belts, bags, bags that attach to belts, backpacks, bags you can hold in hand, or maybe craft stuff to hook sacks onto belts or contraptions.

Everything would then be placed in containers.  They only thing in your main inventory will be what you wear and special items to help carry stuff. Potentially you could place what you are holding in your hands there as well.  Inventory ui might need to be reworked to show more contents in containers for quick transfers.

You could even get detailed enough that you can loop a plastic bag through your offhand and still keep it free radios, flashlights, etc.

This suggestion would open up immersion for stuff like utility belts that hold tools and give very fast transfer rates to your hands.

I think that would add to the immersion. What do you think? Good idea or too tedious for fun game play?

I'm personallly a fan of complicated (yet realistic) equipment - out of games that did that wall was NEO Scavenger, Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 mod and Brigade E5/7.62 High Calibre games - in all these games you initially could only carry carry things in your hands and pockets (in NEO Scavenger you had to put some clothing with pockets on though :)), the rest would come as a (back)packs in a similar fashion that what Zomboid have, although here packs only serve as a weight reduction mechanisms.

I kinda like your idea of the inviteory too, though - seeing as weight is the only limiting factor in Zomboid, seeing it distributed evenly on two hands seems like a nice idea.

However, I think there are currently two things that are limiting any further inventory progression - 1. UI update and 2. the fact that currently weight system is bugged, and the only limiting factor now is 50 units of weight in the main inventory, and even that can be exploited to go beyond that, and a negative moodle that gently slows you down. But yet again, would be nice to have some dragging/transportation system for hauling stuff if that ever gets changed (pushing containers, shopping carts, wheelbarrows, sleds), especially for moving all that logs/planks.

On 2/27/2016 at 4:55 AM, Faalagorn said:

I kinda like your idea of the inviteory too, though - seeing as weight is the only limiting factor in Zomboid, seeing it distributed evenly on two hands seems like a nice idea.

I bought and played Neo Scavenger a long time ago based off the Indie Stone Dev's recommendation.  That is a great game. I think I might reinstall it and give it a whirl again. I forgot how inventory worked in it.

I like the idea of distribution between two hands. I really do think it would add to the immersion factor.  It also would make the option of other containers like utility belts more meaningful, which I think would provide a good hook for modders and further help with player immersion.

Right now clothing is kinda bland and barely meaningful, unless you count always getting too hot immersive (:P). I know they are working on getting more clothing variety  into the game. I think this suggestion would work well with that goal.

Edited by tosayu