Seriously.. Why are hunting/cooking magazines so rare?

zomboid123

I've never found a cooking magazine in the 400+ hours in multiple playthroughs since I picked zomboid back up since build 32. I found a single hunting magazine ONCE in the gunshop. Meanwhile I have found literally hundreds of engineering, radio and farming magazines. I've cleared a good portion of all threes major areas every run including looting the mall. I always make sure to check the shooting range and the hunting lodge near the mall, too.

I think it might be a good idea to look at making these spawn more frequently and/or in more locations. One would think a recipe book would be a common kitchen item and I'd say hunting/trapping magazines would be common household reading material in early 90's rural kentucky... Just my 2 cents.

The problem I see with this is that not everyone is book learned. So for instance, maybe  more prevalent when  NPC's are added, but I'd like it if you could have someone who has high skill "teach" someone to read, or how to do something, instead of relying on books. That could maybe balance it out without forcing high loot spawns.

Unfortunately, they don't spawn in bookstores whatsoever. The big books do.

Herbalist only spawn in Zippee mart magazine racks, or in outdoorsy crate locations. (like cabins)

No, they do: I came across several in the mini-mall's bookstore last week. There are 3 "how to cure disease" farming magazine - is that the only farming magazine?  [i could have sworn there were electronic magazines, but I checked and there are not...weird. *Maybe* I took them, but I doubt it.] I remember seeing a bread making magazine in some past game, but I swear that I haven't seen one in ages.

No, they do: I came across several in the mini-mall's bookstore last week. There are 3 "how to cure disease" farming magazine - is that the only farming magazine?

The farming magazine spawns in normal bookshelves and is common(I find 2-3 in the highschool library every game). The electronics, engineering and radio magazines spawn in shed and garage zones and are also extremely common. The hunting magazines are supposed to spawn in hunting/shooting areas but they are extremely rare apparently(I found exactly ONE in the gunshop ONCE). The herbalist magazine supposedly spawns in zippee markets, but I've never found one. I have no idea where the cooking magazine is supposed to spawn as I have never found one...

I've found 2 of those, 3 hunting magazines, none of the herbalist ones and plenty of electronics/radio ones.

Speaking of which, all the basic electronic components are plentiful with the addition of radios (and so are batteries if you take them out of radios and walkie-talkies, they are always fully charged too) - things like video games, alarms, tv remotes and cd players are much much rarer in comparison. I think it'll have to be revised somewhere down the road, maybe magazines could be at that time too.

In hundreds of game hours I have found 3 magazines on how to bake bread. One character had maxed out Cooking at level 10 and still could not back a loaf of bread.

Bread, pie and cake recipes should not be nearly so rare.  I have never found a hunting or herbalist magazine.

There really shouldn't be magazines for them, considering we already have skill books.

I mean, what exactly are we reading when we read Cooking for Beginners?  Surely it's gotta be recipes.

Same with Trapping; why do you need to find a hunting magazine to make a snare trap?  Surely a book about trapping would teach you how to make some simple traps?

Unfortunately, they don't spawn in bookstores whatsoever. The big books do.

Herbalist only spawn in Zippee mart magazine racks, or in outdoorsy crate locations. (like cabins)

i have done a bit of research on this and you are right some mags are way too rare. Actually the herbalist one spawn in 2 places in zipeemart and in some fishing storage object. I will be applying a distribution patch on the PZ vanilla patch mod

update: i have done the research and have added a patch for it in the upcoming version of PZ Vanilla Patch Mod : herbalist is only in zipee stores and fishing storage object, cooking mags only in zipee stores and also in kitchen shelves (not very many of this). hunting only in fishing storage object and gun stores.

Added distribution update for rare mags (i understand some need to be rare like

herbalist mag (still too rare in my opinion) but some like cooking mag and hunting mag

which only contain simple recipes is very under distributed)

a. Distribution of Herbalist mag is added to medical offices.

b. Distribution of Cooking mags are added to common House book shelves.

c. Distribution of Hunting mags are added to sheds and also garages.

if you guys have the time pls visit and comment at (i really need input on this):

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/18081-pz-vanilla-patch-v12/

update: i have done the research and have added a patch for it in the upcoming version of PZ Vanilla Patch Mod

While you're at it, you can think about adding new magazine(s?) to add the missing recipes for Aerosol Bomb, Pipe Bomb and Flame Trap - these are currently the only recipes that don't spawn in form of magazines and have to be chosen from the beginning (as a profession)

update: i have done the research and have added a patch for it in the upcoming version of PZ Vanilla Patch Mod

While you're at it, you can think about adding new magazine(s?) to add the missing recipes for Aerosol Bomb, Pipe Bomb and Flame Trap - these are currently the only recipes that don't spawn in form of magazines and have to be chosen from the beginning (as a profession)

since the magazines mostly have unique graphics i probably wont add more, but i can add recipes learned on existing ones :). ill check this out and if indeed not yet in any recipe then i might add it to some existing electrician magazines

I'm pretty sure I've found an Aerosol bomb recipe... I think it was in a previous MP game, but I assume it would spawn in SP also.

I'm pretty sure I've found an Aerosol bomb recipe... I think it was in a previous MP game, but I assume it would spawn in SP also.

The item to learn the recipe isn't even there in vanilla files (at least under 34.9), so it shouldn't spawn - unless the server had custom mods or modified files, unless it spawns under older version :)

Noise Maker and Smoke bombs recipes are learnable though.

The item to learn the recipe isn't even there in vanilla files (at least under 34.9), so it shouldn't spawn - unless the server had custom mods or modified files, unless it spawns under older version :)

Noise Maker and Smoke bombs recipes are learnable though.

you are very versed in the Zomboid world sir Faalagorn :) turns out what you said is true:

Here is the result of my research:

These recipes are learned when you choose the electrician in the beginning:

("Make Remote Controller V1");

("Make Remote Controller V2");

("Make Remote Controller V3");

("Make Remote Trigger");

("Make Timer");

("Make Aerosol bomb");

("Make Flame bomb");

("Make Pipe bomb");

("Make Noise generator");

("Make Smoke Bomb");

These are available in both Electrical magazines (1-5) and Engineering magazines (1-2) except those you mentioned

Looking at the teached recipes in the magazines it seems the Electrical are teaching things for timers, remotes, sensors and triggers. and the engineering ones are for bombs and noise makers.

Logically then i have to add these 3 missing ones to the engineering magazines since it is a bomb type recipes

so i will add this to

item EngineerMagazine2

{

Weight    =    0.1,

Type    =    Literature,

DisplayName    =    Engineer magazine,

Icon    =    MagazineMechanics,

TeachedRecipes  =   Make Smoke Bomb,

ReplaceOnUse    =   EngineerMagazine2,

}

this makes the engineer magazine 2 to be some sort of bomb magazine that teach not only smoke bombs but also teach 3 more bomb variant :P (i will apply this in the next vanilla patch update) thanks for the info :)

edit: the flame bomb recipe is actually a flame trap in game so i might separate this to the noise maker in engineering magazine 1.