Walking Sounds

LeoIvanov

Now, before anyone jump on me - I know that the walking sounds are already implemented into the game, it's just that they work in the way they probably weren't meant to work. So, without a programming experience, but atleast having some notion of what it could be, I'll jump in with my suggestion.

Foot sounds. Whenever a certain sprite plays, play  that 1 single footstep sound. That way it won't be binded to how long "Shift + (Directional Button)" is pressed, and therefore could be a ground up for some awesome sneaking implementation.

The way it works is, whenever a certain sprite is displayed (Taking the ones where our/NPC/Zombie character sets foot to the ground), it plays 1 single sound file. That way whenever your character runs, you can tell by hearing footsteps (and so can zombies, wink wink). It both solves problem of footsound syncing with animation, without the need to calculate it like "So, the footstep sound plays every X seconds... Fuck, but what if he is tired, or overencumbered? then the walking won't be in sync.. Or grabbed, hell, aaa".

Something along the lines of "WalkingspriteNorth_15.png" calls the "WalkingFootstepsoundgrass_1.ogg", or chooses between "Walkingfootstepsoundgrass_1.ogg" and "Walkingfootstepsoundgrass_2.ogg" or "Walkingfootstepsoundgrass_3.ogg" etc, for variety. *

With this in mind, you can go completely crazy as to make all kind of footstep noises - grass, sand, gravel, ceramic, bare footed, sneaking, zombie shuffling, walker crawling. Imagine how much more it would add to immersion. Hearing like a dozen of zombies shuffle around outside your warehouse. You didn't forget that your character can get a little scared when some amount of zombies are outside? Well, now you can get scared aswell.

Tell me what do you think.

____

Edit :

* In the "WalkingspriteNorth_15.png" example with the number I meant to display the "appropriate" frame when the character sets a foot on the ground, while in "Walkingfootstepsoundgrass_1" the number represents one of the variety of the footstep. So the first one would sound different from the _2, or _3.

I'm not sure that's entirely necessary. Could just slow playback speed when the player is slowed to sync it.

Also, this would add another few calculations to the game for every entity on screen which could cause a big performance hit when you have hundreds if entities on screen.

I think that anything that makes the game more enjoyable, as long as it doesn't distract the player, would be nice. But like said before it could ruin the smoothness. 

My favorite games are more realistic ones, makes the game more intense, and lord knows im too tense as it is.