Zombies Shouldn't VAULT over Obstacles

SpazzMan502

One thing that has bothered in Project Zomboid over the past year or two i've had it is the zombies' human-like agility.

These zombies barely have enough coordination to walk, yet when there's a small fence or open window, they don't scramble over or or something. They LEAP over it. One clean move and its already coming after you. You would think jumping over a fence with zombies behind you would slow them down a bit..

When you think of a zombie trying to enter a house through a window, it would be tough work. It should be lucky for a zombie to drag itself over a windowframe, get inside, and start walking, let alone HOP in like it was nothing.

I'm thinking zombies should take a lot longer time to enter a house through a window, maybe a bit less time if it's a fence. Maybe even falling over when they cross, much like when they jump out of a 2 story
window. This could also be affected by zombie "age", kind of like how they slow down and get weaker the longer they've been reanimated.
With so much realism involved in this game, zombies jumping over stuff seems a bit silly.

Edit: The Higher zombie agility is in sandbox mode, it should be effected. For example, sprinters could easily jump over stuff, since they can run just as well as people.

This could be a nice addition to the already hyped Animation Update.

Fantastic suggestion, I like the idea of them falling over fences, and maybe falling on the ground when they enter through windows.  They can keep it close to the same speed of entry, and make it look realistic at the same time.  

They way they hop over and though things always got to me, considering how they walk normally.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:40 AM, Zomboid said:

Perhaps there needs to be a better animation where they kinda crawl over the obstacles and fall down.

That and a slower speed while doing so. I feel this problem on an emotional level ever since they jumped over a small gate at the exact same speed my character did.

This should definitely be in the settings. I think there is a setting for Zombies opening doors. If they can do that they can vault a fence. I'd hate for it to be so simple to setup a gun line outside your base with a few rows of fences and just easily mowing down 10,000 of them or until you run out of bullets. 

22 hours ago, Slice985 said:

This should definitely be in the settings. I think there is a setting for Zombies opening doors. If they can do that they can vault a fence. I'd hate for it to be so simple to setup a gun line outside your base with a few rows of fences and just easily mowing down 10,000 of them or until you run out of bullets. 

What if when enough of them stumble over a fence, it breaks. It could be many at once (fence falls over form weight), or over use of the fence (fence slowly degrades with wear). The way they get over it in the new animation video looks like it would put stress on the fence.

4 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

What if when enough of them stumble over a fence, it breaks. It could be many at once (fence falls over form weight), or over use of the fence (fence slowly degrades with wear). The way they get over it in the new animation video looks like it would put stress on the fence.

Nice idea