Small Server Multiplayer sleeping

Apexazimuth

My wife and I have been playing Project Zomboid together for quite a while, and one serious immersion buster is the fact that there's no sleeping in multiplayer.  This makes the passage of time awkward, and detracts seriously from the realism of the experience.

I know you can sleep in "co-op" mode, but this isn't practical because playing on a single screen is annoying.

I understand that people disagree with multiplayer sleeping because of servers with 10+ people playing, but we're just two, and I'm SURE that there are more couples and small groups of friends that play PZ together, that wouldn't mind having a minecraft style sleep system.

Is there some major technical hangup that makes multiplayer sleeping a bear to implement?  I haven't played seriously in about a year because I've been waiting for multiplayer sleeping, because it's such a deal-breaker for the experience.

RNG. Your skill level vs the enemy ai skill, whether zombies or people. So your quietness correlates to your sleeping (imagine snoring) or maybe if you took asthmatic you'd breathe heavier, determining if zombies would hear you to find you while you sleep to attack you (if not in the open). Same if someone came to you and attacked you - your sleeping (heavy or light, so whether you'd wake up etc.) against skill levels then (combat fitness etc), if you win the draw the attacking person dies and vice versa. Not sure how you'd balance it entirely but I think this is the only realistic way to do it at least right now. Would have acoustics for various mediums (tent walls vs house walls windows/doors open/shut etc) which would play a role too I suppose both ways (for you to hear zombies/people or them to hear you, depending). I'm not sure what else. 

RNG. Your skill level vs the enemy ai skill, whether zombies or people. So your quietness correlates to your sleeping (imagine snoring) or maybe if you took asthmatic you'd breathe heavier, determining if zombies would hear you to find you while you sleep to attack you (if not in the open). Same if someone came to you and attacked you - your sleeping (heavy or light, so whether you'd wake up etc.) against skill levels then (combat fitness etc), if you win the draw the attacking person dies and vice versa. Not sure how you'd balance it entirely but I think this is the only realistic way to do it at least right now. Would have acoustics for various mediums (tent walls vs house walls windows/doors open/shut etc) which would play a role too I suppose both ways (for you to hear zombies/people or them to hear you, depending). I'm not sure what else. 

I don't think any new systems need to be made.  All I'd like to see is exactly the same functionality that 2-player Co-Op has as an option for a multiplayer server.  Your character goes to sleep, time doesn't accelerate until all clients on the server are also asleep.

This is no problem for tight groups of friends or couples that are playing that game exclusively together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2016 at 5:39 AM, Wolfihunter_prey said:

Wait, there is 2 player co-op mode???!?! HOW!?! :D Please help me with this <3

Just plug in a controller activate it from the menu and press start. Then it asks if you want to take over player 1 or add a new character and it will put the game in splitscreen.

Been hoping for sleep in multiplayer for a long time now. As with the OP, I almost solely play with my spouse and frankly, the lack of sleep as a game mechanic makes the game too easy and streamlined. You can literally just stay on an endless looting spree, only using your base to dump stuff off and then run out again. Since you don't get fatigued, running almost non-stop is not an issue.

I did look into if something like this could be modded in, but with speeding up the time the resulting sync issues seemed a little difficult to handle.

Minecraft-like sleeping would be awesome. Have it disabled by default and let small servers enable it. I do believe this is in "things we'll eventually do" list.

EDIT: Yup, "sleep in multiplayer" is on the list :-)

Edited by tzaeru

• 3 weeks later...