BBQ Indoors

Insidiousness

BBQ's should be pretty safe inside as long as you don't leave it on constantly.

Its basically a gas stove after all.

You're getting ready to take a very long nap :)

Gas stoves are designed to completely burn the natural gas leaving behind nearly undetectable amounts of CO.

Gas BBQs are not designed to completely burn the propane and are considered a major CO threat if used indoors.

I don't know if this game takes that into account though.

IRL you definitely should NOT use a BBQ indoors, unless you have trouble getting to sleep ;)

You're getting ready to take a very long nap :)

Gas stoves are designed to completely burn the natural gas leaving behind nearly undetectable amounts of CO.

Gas BBQs are not designed to completely burn the propane and are considered a major CO threat if used indoors.

I don't know if this game takes that into account though.

IRL you definitely should NOT use a BBQ indoors, unless you have trouble getting to sleep ;)

I seriously doubt, that propane BBQ produce any significant amount of carbon monoxide. Propane, which is C3H8 will simply bond with oxygen from the atmosphere (O2) to form CO2. I'd like to have asource for your claim, that manufacturers design their propane bbqs to not burn in a wa that produces carbon monoxide. I can not see any reason to do that, because a) this would make the bbq less efficient, because incompletly burning the carbon will result in releasing less thermic energy, which means you would need to burn more fuel in order to b) produce a gas that is multiple times more toxic than carbon dioxide.

So let's crunch some numbers to see how dangerous or harmless using a propane bbq indoors can be.

source: http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/392-how-long-will-a-bbq-gas-bottle-last

If you are in the USA, a typical 20 pound propane tank is filled with 17 pounds of propane (LPG). 

This converts to approximately 7.7kg, 15.1L or 377MJ (357,000BTU). 

propane has a molecular mass of 44.1 g/mole.

According to the previous source, a traditional bbq would last 24.5 to 28 hours. I'm going to use the 20 hours instead, as it is the ingame value for a full propane tank.

this means, we are using 385 g of propane per hour or 8.73 mole per hour.

The reaction equation for burning propane is:

C3H8 + 5* O2 -> 3* CO2 + 4* H2O

So one mole propane will result in 3 Mol CO2. So in one hour we get 8.73*3=26.19Mol

The molecular mass of CO2 is 44.01 g/mole. So 44.01*26.19 = 1152.6219 g of carbon dioxide.

From the following chart, I take 2% as a threshold.

619px-Physiological_effects_of_carbon_di

So how much air do we need in a room to reach a 2% CO2 level?

1 qubic meter of air weighs about 1.22 kg.

So 1.152 kg / 2% = 57.6 kg

57.6kg/1.22 kg per m³ = 47.21 m³

If we assume that a standard room from floor to ceiling is 2.4 meters high, we get 47.21 m³ / 2.4 m = 19.67 m²

For those of you, who are not familiar with the metric system 20m² is about the size of a small room.

So, as you can see the use of a propane bbq itself is not that dangerous. Don't forget, that 60 minutes is the amount of time to reach 2% and not the time you are exposed to 2% in the chart. After 30 minutes you would reach 1%, which is not enough to cause any perceptible effects, even if you are exposed to that concentration for a longer amount of time.

The real danger is, if you forget to turn the bbq off and go to sleep. The build up of CO2 by the bbq is simply to slow to knock you out. You would feel noticable and distracting discomfort long before you reach CO2 levels that will cause unconsciousness or even death.

*Snip*

Here is my source: http://www.cdc.gov/co/

The problem with everything that you just wrote is that you are entirely missing the real danger. CO2 (Carbon DIOXIDE) is a 'toxic' gas to the body and we exhale it as a waste product, but as your chart noted it takes a large partial pressure to be dangerous. That is not the real danger of using a BBQ indoors.

The real danger of using any combustion indoors is CO (Carbon MONOXIDE).

The United States Center for Disease Control states:

"CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it."

"Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness and death if present in sufficient concentration in the ambient air. When power outages occur during emergencies such as hurricanes or winter storms, the use of alternative sources of fuel or electricity for heating, cooling, or cooking can cause CO to build up in a home, garage, or camper and poison the people and animals inside. Generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside a home, basement, garage, or camper - or even outside near an open window or window air conditioner."

My other source is my gas grill that says: "To avoid serious injury or death ... Use OUTDOORS only"

Got any data on CO?

CO poisoning is cumulative. The effect CO has on the body is a function of both concentration and time. A low level of exposure for a long period of time can be just as dangerous as a high concentration for a short period. It is commonly believed that effects are short-lived and will disappear if the victim is given fresh air or oxygen. This may not always be true. There appear to be a number of long-term issues and even some permanent damage caused by low level exposure over long periods of time.

co-symptoms.jpg

Source: Carbon Monoxide - Leading Cause of Poisoning Deaths by Skip Walker, MCI ACI

Wow, I would never ever come up with the idea to put my gas grill into my livingroom. That thing produces a really massive smoke plume and produces lots and lots of heat.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to bear with that in an enclosed room for long. You would have to flee quite fast, I guess.

Edit: Ask my neighbours above me, I think they hate me because of my grill... ^^

Archived