Containers problem for mod compatibilities

francogp

Hi, there's an actual problem in the current way to implement containers:

What we need:

A way to register or add custom containers (new API function?) that don't need to be equipped on the back or hands (as a quick implementation), or several different body slots so we can fit specific equipment there (like the actual back slot, but for every part of the body). For example: Leg slot -> knife holster, Head -> helmet, waist-> waist pack.

Current container detection in source code:

In the function: "function ISInventoryPage:refreshBackpacks()" you can see the condition:

if item:getCategory() == "Container" and getSpecificPlayer(self.player):isEquipped(item) or item:getType() == "KeyRing" then....

Problem:

Lots of mods MUST modify this function to add custom containers categories. This cause conflicts between mods because of OVERRIDING the same function/condition to achieve this goal.

For example, the mods http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/18016-united-states-military-gear-v12-3320/ and http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/15092-zomboidxbow-update-fix-for-3230/ are incompatible because they override the same ISInventoryPage:refreshBackpacks() function, breaking their containers each other.

Edited by francogp

You can simply overwrite the function in your mod. There's no need to alter the game's base files directly.

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I was talking about overriding that function in a mod, not modifying the game source code. Overriding the function is conflictive if another mod override that function as well for the same purposes.

That's why I ask for a solution in this thread.