Foraging Upgrade

Masterman777

I'm just going to say this directly to you guys; the Foraging system sucks complete ass. The system relies on RNG which is kinda stupid considering how things like tree branches should be EVERYWHERE, stones should be quite commonplace as well; and yet I've found absolutely none of these two things within' a good 10 minutes of searching; instead, I've found berries and mushrooms which only serve as a pest considering their is a limit to what you can gather within a specific zone, and I haven't even set up anything relating to cooking with these berries or mushrooms.

Instead, I think a menu should exist, with choices specific to what you are looking for (to eliminate useless items), and from there, a tile needs to be selected, relative to what you are looking for. For instance, if I was looking for some tree branches, I would require a tile which holds a tree. If I was looking for some berries, a tile with nothing on it, etc etc. These would all have to be within' a forest, of course.

To keep up with the difficulty of the game, it would be very difficult to find (or even get at all) some items, unless you have specific items on hand. If I was trying to get a large quantity of branches, perhaps a saw or axe would help with timing; otherwise I would likely have to find branches which could easily snap off, whilst still being large enough to make tools with.

Speaking of tools, another way of adding difficulty is to decrease the amount of uses a tool can have; the primitive axe can cut two trees with zero blade maintenance. Instead, two primitive axes should be required to cut down one tree; and now, a tree doesn't include any branches, just the logs. The idea here is that you rely on your blade maintenance skill to cut down trees faster without needing more primitive axes. As a side note, these tools should just disappear after breaking, mainly to remove junk from the game.

This is just a simple idea that I came up with because I don't see why RNG should be in something so simple as foraging.

This is funny as lately, I've been having exactly the opposite issue as you.

I already MAX'd my foraging skill, but for some odd reason, now all I find are rocks, sticks and even logs, instead of all those useful herbs, shrooms and berries I used to find.

TBH, I really don't mind the RNG too much, but there should be some way to at least discern what you're looking for. Like say, we're on a patch of forest, where logs and sticks are the most common, but instead I am looking for berries. I should be able to CHOOSE what I'm looking for, and then have the RNG draw items from that pool.

This is funny as lately, I've been having exactly the opposite issue as you.

I already MAX'd my foraging skill, but for some odd reason, now all I find are rocks, sticks and even logs, instead of all those useful herbs, shrooms and berries I used to find.

TBH, I really don't mind the RNG too much, but there should bbe some way to at least discern what you're looking for. Like say, we're on a patch of forest, where logs and sticks are the most common, but instead I am looking for berries. I should be able to CHOOSE what I'm looking for, and then have the RNG draw items from that pool.

Hi i think you might be foraging in winter. All plantlife will not be found in winter and fish too

• 1 month later...

I was going to post a new thread but I guess I'll necro this one instead.

I was going to suggest that higher levels of Foraging mean more than just getting new stuff. I'd like to be able to choose between foraging for edibles or materials, for example, maybe even giving the chance to filter by herbs as well. It's like that scene in LoTR where Aragorn asks Sam to find a specific herb. If I've broken my leg, I won't be picking up stones and sticks!

Also, more foraged stuff needs to be included in cooking. I saw a great video on YouTube of someone making fruit leather by drying mashed berries, although as for the local variations of edibles I'm not sure. Some fungi can make great kindling, wild garlic is great in salads or stews, and of course there's drying meat etc., which I'm sure has been suggested elsewhere.

Can't wait until animals and hunting arrive :)

• 4 weeks later...

I also think it would be nice to at least be able to use foraged herbs in cooking and have some method of meat preservation, either via canning or smoking/drying, or both, and be able to use the pelts of harvested game to make leather/fur for crafting warmer winter cloths etc.