Poison berries experiment

Jeffrey Diggs

As of 33.19, tests have been run by myself on 4 different subjects, all on a same save file. Game mode was 1st Week - Hardcore. Subjects got to forage the forest and eat different types of berries, 3 by 3 each time, and wait at least 5 hours between 2 doses.

Here are the results :

78MFbOu.jpg

Seems like only one type of berries is randomly designed to be poisonous each time you create a new character. Note also that Lemon Grass (1 dose) was enough to take the poison off of 3 units of berries, although we need more informations on that fact. More tests will be done soon, and on mushrooms as well. All subjects died within 4 hours after eating poison.

Conclusion is : if you are not a Herbalist you should avoid eating berries at any time, for the risk of being poisoned is too high.

I always take weak stomach, and I've eaten poison berries.  I have never even gotten sick, let alone died.

How many do you have to eat to feel the effects?  Because I've eaten ~8 at once and not had any negative effects.

Really ?? What about the Lucky trait ? Maybe it plays a role as well. The 4 specimen only had foraging-related traits/jobs to make the study goes faster, no Weak Stomach or whatever. So I don't know. Seems like the system is more complicated than I thought.

Very good post. I also wonder if a character can survive from the poisonous berry if he or she dumps food(or water) into stomach after noticing that she ate poisonous berry, until the effect passes by.

Thanks man ! I didn't think about that, only made them eat berries for the sake of research, but it might actually work. I'll run more tests very soon ! 

I always take weak stomach, and I've eaten poison berries.  I have never even gotten sick, let alone died.

How many do you have to eat to feel the effects?  Because I've eaten ~8 at once and not had any negative effects.

Really ?? What about the Lucky trait ? Maybe it plays a role as well. The 4 specimen only had foraging-related traits/jobs to make the study goes faster, no Weak Stomach or whatever. So I don't know. Seems like the system is more complicated than I thought.

Very good post. I also wonder if a character can survive from the poisonous berry if he or she dumps food(or water) into stomach after noticing that she ate poisonous berry, until the effect passes by.

Thanks man ! I didn't think about that, only made them eat berries for the sake of research, but it might actually work. I'll run more tests very soon ! 

I do take lucky, but I find it hard to believe it makes THAT big of a difference.

I pay no attention to the little poison icon anymore, It's never caused any problems.

I have more information.

Using my usual build, which includes weak stomach and lucky, but not herbalist.  I ate some of every berry type.  Did not get sick at all, from any of the berries.  I then read The Herbalist, and ate two poison berries.  ~1 hour later I was queasy.  ~2 hours later I was nauseous, and my health began to fall rapidly.  I ate enough food to reach very well fed, but my health kept falling, albeit slower.  When I hit half health, I tried sleeping.  I slept for 7 hours.  That refilled my health, and brought it back to just queasy instead of nauseous.  Also health did not continue falling. ~3 hours later queasy went away.  So basically, 2 poison berries nearly killed me in under 3 hours, and took 12 hours to recover completely.

It makes me think poison berries only take effect if you know they're poisonous.  Because I've never gotten sick from them before, when I didn't know they were poisonous.

I have more information.

Using my usual build, which includes weak stomach and lucky, but not herbalist.  I ate some of every berry type.  Did not get sick at all, from any of the berries.  I then read The Herbalist, and ate two poison berries.  ~1 hour later I was queasy.  ~2 hours later I was nauseous, and my health began to fall rapidly.  I ate enough food to reach very well fed, but my health kept falling, albeit slower.  When I hit half health, I tried sleeping.  I slept for 7 hours.  That refilled my health, and brought it back to just queasy instead of nauseous.  Also health did not continue falling. ~3 hours later queasy went away.  So basically, 2 poison berries nearly killed me in under 3 hours, and took 12 hours to recover completely.

It makes me think poison berries only take effect if you know they're poisonous.  Because I've never gotten sick from them before, when I didn't know they were poisonous.

That's not correct at all. You can usually get away with eating 1 poisonous berry (especially if you don't take weak stomach) and be fine. The reason their lethal is its not apparent right away, even if you eat a couple it usually takes a little while for the queasy moodle to kick in to let you know you've done messed up.

Long story short, if you don't have the herbalist trait/magazine, eat berries and mushrooms at your own risk.

I have more information.

That's not correct at all. You can usually get away with eating 1 poisonous berry (especially if you don't take weak stomach) and be fine. The reason their lethal is its not apparent right away, even if you eat a couple it usually takes a little while for the queasy moodle to kick in to let you know you've done messed up.

Long story short, if you don't have the herbalist trait/magazine, eat berries and mushrooms at your own risk.

But without herbalist, I've never paid ANY attention to whether things were poisonous.  I was completely reckless.  I find it very hard to believe I've been THAT lucky.

I have more information.

But without herbalist, I've never paid ANY attention to whether things were poisonous.  I was completely reckless.  I find it very hard to believe I've been THAT lucky.

There's plenty of people before that would testify otherwise. Besides, the old system had a fixed berry. Now it can be any random berry, and eating simply one of each won't be enough to kill you.

I have more information.

There's plenty of people before that would testify otherwise. Besides, the old system had a fixed berry. Now it can be any random berry, and eating simply one of each won't be enough to kill you.

I always take weak stomach though.  I've never so much as gotten queasy, let alone nearly died.  And I didn't just eat one, I ate all of them that I found.

The ones that look obvious (blackberries/raspberries/blueberries) should never make you sick. Should also add wild strawberries to the mix. Give people something at least since I don't think there's too many people who aren't familiar with those fruits and what they look like. The others should work on the same random system though so you have to earn something as well from the skill. 

red/black currants should be added, red raspberry, there's another plant that are like little tomatoes basically (look kind of like red currants or those red berries already in-game). There are also some I'm sure are poisonous that look like those red/white berries. 

This thread is gonna cause a lot of confusion for new players. I just want to make it clear....

Any berry (besides strawberries) can now be poisonous. 1 Random one will be chosen per game session.

Any mushroom (besides can of mushroom soup) can now be poisonous. 1 Random one will be chosen per game session.

This does make for an odd quirk though, as I know the unique recipe idea has kinda been tossed to the wayside for now, but it is entirely possible that the this cake is a lie recipe would result in making a poisonous cake in some playthroughs since it does specifically use a blue berry.

Any mushroom (besides can of mushroom soup) can now be poisonous. 1 Random one will be chosen per game session.

Seriously? Could Canned mushroom soup be poisonous? 

... maybe I misunderstood the sentence. right?

You misread the sentence, I said besides can of mushroom soup, meaning as in it cannot be poisonous. There used to be an old bug where mushroom soup showed up as unknown.

What Moose said, I don't take the berries colour in count there, I just pick a random one and make it poisonous when startng a new world (SP or MP)

If it's really weird that blueberry can be poisonous I can remove that tho... But guys, I want the player to die :(

And also, Moose again right on one berry shouldn't kill you, just eat them 1 by 1 and wait if you see an effect on your stomach, if nope, try eat 2 to be sure (your condition can eliminate poison in your body faster or slower, such as hunger, etc...)

This seems odd to me that non-poisonous berries would be on the chart, especially when the art is made to look as such. Perhaps the only berries that should be possibly poisonous are the "ambiguous" berries that honestly could be any berry based on the generic art.

In short i think it should work like this ...

Blackberry = Always Safe

Blueberry = Always Safe

Generic Berries 1 to 5 = Can be Safe / Can Be Poison

Poison White Berry = Always Poison

EDIT In my own mod I am tempted to just make a new Blueberry and new Blackberry that are always safe and make new art for the base game blackberry and blueberry. Maybe even make an always poison white berry too.