Sprinting Zombies Shamble when Idle

Zapp Brannigan

I like playing Sandbox games with Sprinting Zombies enabled - gives a 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead Remake feel to things. One thing I really don't like though is that with Sprinters on, zombies do nothing but sprint. Even when moving a few feet they sprint fully. I think it'd be great if even Sprinters just shambled when idle, but when they get alerted by noise, an event, light, players, (and later) NPCs and animals, they break into a full sprint. As it stands Sprinters don't even seem to move around that much when idle to begin with, sticking in clumped groups. DotD Remake-style, if they could idly walk around when not alerted, I think that'd add some immersion and be less weird than them sprinting every time they move, even if it's just a foot or two. Maybe add it as a new option to the zombies? "Slow Sprinters"? Then for 28 Days Later style zombies, "Fast Sprinters"?

Yes, this is perfect!

also perhaps make slow sprinters run somewhat slower than your character with no exertion.

It'd actually give you a fighting chance!

As it stands, spinters are Insanely OP 

It'd make sense because zombies wouldn't use proper running techniques. They'd be flinging their legs wildly across the ground.

Im 100% for this. Their sprinting a couple feet in place when idle is really silly looking, especially in the juxtaposition of how downright terrifying sprinter games can be. Even if they just stayed put when idle thatd be better than what they do now. Like World War Z style. When theres no stimulus they just stop.

Kind of off-topic here, and this may well have been addressed already, but the last time I played with sprinters the crawler mechanics needed some attention too. Couple of times I had zeds on the ground, get up and sprint at me only to lay down again and crawl after me once they caught up. Made no sense at all.

Sandbox setings tend to be there because, in part, they're one of the simpler ways to enable custmoization. For sprinters, the most likely "simplest way" was just to increase their speed.

They'd probably need separate sprinter-specific alterates for their behavior to be altered. This, of course, doesn't mean it won't just happen, it's just why we have what we have now.

Sandbox setings tend to be there because, in part, they're one of the simpler ways to enable custmoization. For sprinters, the most likely "simplest way" was just to increase their speed.

They'd probably need separate sprinter-specific alterates for their behavior to be altered. This, of course, doesn't mean it won't just happen, it's just why we have what we have now.

Makes sense. Hope it's something we see soon.