kinyoshi

So?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. You Nom Nom Bugs In Project Zomboid?

2. 2. You Nom Nom Bugs In Real Life?

3. 3. Gross?

Here you go people who always run out of food :D, eat up!!

Added a bunch of bugs (seriously, a bunch!!!!) that spawn that provide little nutrients compared to actual food, so you must eat a bunch to fill your stomach although it makes you unhappy eating them. Most of them can be eaten without cooking them but you can still cook them, though some have to be cooked first.

Added insects that inhabit Kentucky in real life. 

Wanting to add soup and other combined food options so you can get the most out of your bugs.

Wanting to add a "tobacco paste" that you can eat that will negate allergic reactions so you do not die when eating poisonous/venomous insects.. Or just eating tobacco after eating poisonous/venomous insects.

WIP, will refine and make better, hopefully :D.

Wanting to make it so bugs respawn, and only spawn/respawn during they day or night and only during spring, summer and fall rotating which bugs will spawn, with only minor bugs like flies and cockroaches during the winter.

Added four new traits that do not do anything at the moment :P, except give you a few points to spend. I will work on these and make them actually work. Thank you Kjulo & RegularX :D.

**Insect Allergies Trait now works, sort of..  (tophat) Try it..

New Traits:

• Entomologist:      -2    l0anJzU.png [HfaOuaa.png sFZxooH.png Not sure yet] -  You will have a better chance to find bugs.
  • Acarophobia:      +3   u6kVRfL.png -  You start panicking if you carry bugs around.
  • Strong Stomach: -2    ND9zktw.png  -  You can eat bugs without feeling nauseous.
  • Weak Stomach:  +1    GpZAbYA.png  -  You get nauseous when eating bugs.
  • Insect Allergies:  +6    5UY5nK9.png  -  If you eat poisonous/venomous insects, you will surely perish.

I haven't made the insect sprites yet, though I will soon.

Download: Mirror (My Dropbox)

Edited by kinyoshi

Looks really interesting.

One minor point, cockroaches aren't exactly 'minor' bugs in Kentucky. The southern name for them is "Palmetto Beetles" and the can be found on an every day basis approaching 3 inches long.

Minor wasn't the right word :D still can't think of what I mean. Should I change them to Palmetto Beetles??

Edit: By "minor" I meant the bugs that don't go away in the winter.

Edited by kinyoshi

Rathlord, on 21 Sept 2013 - 3:48 PM, said:

You should probably keep as "cockroach" since more people will understand. Just figured I'd point it out since unfortunately, being a southerner, I know about all of the fantastically gross insects we have.

I thought all you guys were French!!! :D

Edit: Le gardon de coq.

Edited by kinyoshi

"Eating five cigarettes will give the average non-smoker nicotine poisoning which will most likely result in death."

It is a strong poison ... yes. I think Thuztor just misunderstood what "tobacco paste" means ;)

I like this mod idea. Not sure about the spawn rates yet, as I didn't have time to test it so far :)

Eating five cigarettes...

Who would do such a thing? Trying to suffocate yourself with them sounds odd enough. :-)

On topic:

Eating insects as a matter of last resort seems strangely appealing. Moreover, deep-fried, honey-glazed grasshoppers aren't the worst of candy. Sweet and crunchy, like popcorn.

Instead of distributing them into containers they could spawn randomly in the player's inventory and while inside do nasty things to his health and items. E.g. a wasp increasing stress or a roach making food items inedible.

Well, right now they are inserted into every possible container in sububurbsdistribution.lua. But i guess kinyoshi is already searching for a way to spawn them on the floor.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1855-spawning-items-on-the-ground/

I'd just love to see them go beyond a mere food item. Something like this:

Entomophagy = {}function Entomophagy.spawnwasp()    if ZombRand(100) <= 5 then    getPlayer():getInventory():addItem("Entomophagy.Wasp");    endendfunction Entomophagy.waspsting()    local player = getPlayer();    local playerstats = player:getStats();        if player:getInventory():contains("Wasp") and ZombRand(100) <= 50 then    playerstats:setStress(playerstats:getStress() + 10);    player:Say("Ouch")    endendEvents.EveryTenMinutes.Add(Entomophagy.spawnwasp);Events.EveryTenMinutes.Add(Entomophagy.waspsting);

Either get rid of it or put in a bag for a late-night snack.