Decrease Sprint Speed

Dooflockey

I have never made it to 10 sprinting, but level 6 can be hard to control in tight areas. I know the skill is to increase speed, but it should cap around the speed of 3 or 4 then translate to being able to sprint for longer distances and then maybe unlock other things like the ability to eat/drink or craft while sprinting. Honestly it feels like there is no need for vehicles. I can make a run from Bedford to Muldraugh to West Point and back to my base in Bedford in under a day. I don't know what kind of vehicles they plan on having other than cars but if anything is faster than the current level 10 sprinting, they will be near impossible to control. Except maybe a helicopter or plane. (Which should be in the game...) Idk what you guys think but level 6+ sprinting feels inhuman.

Burst speeds are different than long term speeds.

Average             - 10mph

Olympic Runner - 25mph

Horse                 - 50mph

Car                    -100mph

So we can see it makes sense that a runner build appears to be running super fast. The problem is when you try to run for miles this whole dynamic changes and now an Olympic Runner is running the same speed as the average person except he won't have a heart attack. What the game needs is a more balanced sprint burst vs. save your energy running to really be realistic. We need to measure things in miles and mph. I can see everything being spread apart more when cars are added also.

When sprinting at ridiculous speeds you should be out of control, not only that but your endurance should drop dramatically and take forever to recuperate. So the solution here is to allow sprinting at 3 different paces (long term travels) sprinting normal (small distances) sprinting burst (very short distances and super tired quickly)

100 yard dash sprint pace

1 mile run sprint pace

10,000 meter run sprint pace

You can't just drink water and keep running that is unrealistic as it currently stands you need to pace yourself at the distance you plan on travelling and then suffer needing to rest. This whole system can make furniture/beds a lot more important for multiplayer.

Moral of the story: Don't decrease sprint speed, add 3 different sprint paces and cause great punishment to sprinting mega fast (which is how it works in reality)

Sure olympic runners can run 25 mph, but that's in a highly controlled environment with little to no actual weight on them. Give them a full set of clothes (shirt, jeans, jacket, boots) a gun, and a half full backpack and see how fast they can run. I like the 3 different paces idea, but level 6 sprinting is like Usain Bolt on crystal meth. You could run that fast IF you had the runner perk and it was only for a short burst. But you can travel the whole map in under an hour with a high sprint level. That just shouldn't be possible. At level 4 sprinting I was wondering just how fast I'd get going. At level 5 I was questioning whether or not bikes or cars are necessary. At level 6 I really don't think vehicles should be added if the sprint speed remains the same. I mean I can run from Bedford to the Mall in West Point in like 20 minutes. If vehicles shortened those trips I would be out on 3 minute runs and that just doesn't sound that fun. I love this game and am very excited about the big things coming, vehicles mainly, I'm just worried they will be a bit useless.

Humans are actually very good runners, they're just the tortoises of the running world. We don't have a lot of speed, but we have MASSIVE endurance. Like OP said, I think the speed should cap and the rest should be to stacking running endurance.

Look at this chart of the progression of human speed, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/World_record_progression_100m_men.svg

Since 1912 humans have only been getting faster and faster in this competition. With the constant need to run from zombies and travel on foot we will also see the average human speed increase (or else you will be more likely to be one of the dead ones)

"Our simple projections indicate that muscle contractile speeds that would allow for maximal or near-maximal forces would permit running speeds of 35 to 40 miles per hour and conceivably faster,” Bundle said."

http://blog.smu.edu/research/2010/01/21/human-running-speed-of-35-40-mph-may-be-biologically-possible/

Usain Bolt has already reached 27 mph on record and his life is not at risk of death. I would be interested to know what the max speed in mph the characters in the game can run, and I think we will find the accurate thing to do is have 3 levels of sprint and make it so if you do sprint at your maximum speed you drop dead of a heart attack after a mile.

We need to remember that the characters we play are not Olympic athletes, they do not have special training.

while humans can run, (citation needed) the actual speeds would not come close to that of a trained athlete.

The game needs to remember this too and limit accordingly.  

Humans are actually very good runners, they're just the tortoises of the running world. We don't have a lot of speed, but we have MASSIVE endurance. Like OP said, I think the speed should cap and the rest should be to stacking running endurance.

Look at this chart of the progression of human speed, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/World_record_progression_100m_men.svg

Since 1912 humans have only been getting faster and faster in this competition. With the constant need to run from zombies and travel on foot we will also see the average human speed increase (or else you will be more likely to be one of the dead ones)

"Our simple projections indicate that muscle contractile speeds that would allow for maximal or near-maximal forces would permit running speeds of 35 to 40 miles per hour and conceivably faster,” Bundle said."

http://blog.smu.edu/research/2010/01/21/human-running-speed-of-35-40-mph-may-be-biologically-possible/

Usain Bolt has already reached 27 mph on record and his life is not at risk of death. I would be interested to know what the max speed in mph the characters in the game can run, and I think we will find the accurate thing to do is have 3 levels of sprint and make it so if you do sprint at your maximum speed you drop dead of a heart attack after a mile.

While I don't disagree with the current records and the projection for future speeds, as CaptKaspar said, these are athletes. Also I was making a comparison to the rest of the animal kingdom. Among large mammals we are very slow, but we make up for it with endurance, so much so that one could run down a horse if they had the tracking skills. I think even with the constant running you're more apt to gain more endurance than reach Olympic athlete speeds.

My current character is level 5 sprinting, but my fitness and strength have not yet increased. How can I have gotten this much better at sprinting without any sort of subsequent increase in my fitness or strength? That part seems wonky to me.

I read that the first thing your body improves when training (in this scenario running, sprinting) is kind of ,,expanding" the nerves and synapses. I can't explain it in english. So the connection between your brain, your muscles, your nerves get better and because of that you would be able to perform your tasks better. I have a friend who did a 12-week-Imakeyousexy-body programm and he told me, the first thing he realised is that his strenght got better without his endurance getting better also. So I think you could say that this is the reason why the characters fitness is gaining xp slower than his sprinting. :P