"Destroy item" button or "paper bin" button

Spatz

In my last game, I had a Scout-character which was quite good at "foraging". Since I found a mass of "hammers" in the town, I had no use for the non-sharp stones after a while. Nonetheless, I found tons of it. Soon later, I had around 50-100 twigs and other wood-stuff.
That was the time I wished, there was a "destroy item"-button in the game. Of course, you can let the stuff right there where you found it (on the ground). But I don't want to litter with the stuff all of the world. I can imagine, this will lead some time to problems with stability of the save file, since the data of the world gets bigger and bigger.

Or maybe you could make it possible to check individually, what items get foraged, so you uncheck with a click, if you don't want to search for non-sharp stones any more. So it shows you only the stuff, you didn't uncheck in a foraging-menu...

That actually would be really nice. Rotten food is usually my big one. If a composting system is ever implemented it wouldnt be a problem anymore, but for the time being I usually pick a dead zombie near my house and just fill its inventory. Itd certainly save some time.

With all the construction Im usually doing, I tend to end up with a lot of useless twigs and sticks as well though. Every fortress I've built since they were added to the game has at least one crate full of them.

Why don't you just, like, throw it away? That's what I always do. Or if you're so hell-bent on destroying something, just put them on a dead Zed and burn its corpse somewhere.

IMHO, a ''Destroy Item'' mechanic has too much potential for griefing or even simple accidents of ''Oops! Pressed the wrong button and destroyed my Sledgehammer!''.

A system to turn rotten food into something useful would be nice, tho....

Or maybe you could make it possible to check individually, what items get foraged, so you uncheck with a click, if you don't want to search for non-sharp stones any more. So it shows you only the stuff, you didn't uncheck in a foraging-menu...

I want this!

It never made sense to me that I pick up every single thing I find while foraging. If I went out looking for berries and mushrooms, I wouldn't come home with my pockets full of rocks and twigs.

• 2 months later...

For twigs and branches I would love to see a "add fuel" option for more than one at a time(x5,x10,all), would help make twigs more usable. maybe we can hope for more uses for stones in the future and compost bins for rotten food. I don't agree with a general "destroy/burn" button though, like others have said you could pack zeds full of trash and move them somewhere, or just make a "trash area" somewhere a little ways from your base and build a few crates to pack stuff into

You can use twigs and stuff as fire fuel, that's how I've been disposing of them. Why waste planks when you can use all of those twigs and branches.

As for the other stuff, you really just gotta be careful about what you do with it. Usually when I get rocks I just build the tools out of them and then use them as my makeshift weapon. Spears are also good if your maintenance skill is up. And when they break, I just store them on dead bodies in my body pile and burn it.

My one thing with the Herbology book is that you will often have extra poultice... although generally that kind of thing is useful to hold on to just in case.

As much as the OCD neat freak in me hates garbage. From a realism and immersion standpoint.

Just litter.. Just drop trash all over the place. I know society has trained you that littering means you are a demon and dirty.  But just take those dity rags, take those twigs and sticks and hammers.. And dump them in the middle of the road, in someone's backyard. Just anywhere. Make huge steaming piles of rotted garbage.