Toggle setting for auto-drinking

Banjo

Something I've noticed in the time being away from PZ and returning to it is that drinking water from containers has been substantially changed:

1) You can now no longer drink water from a water bottle (or other portable water source) unless you are thirsty.

2) If you have water in your main inventory, you will automatically consume it when thirsty.

While this is good for reducing 'busy work', it feels very unintuitive and indeed counter-productive to the game's otherwise 'hardcore survival' feel and gameplay. With calories and such now being added, this ramps up the 'push for realism' even further, yet we have a very 'game-y' auto-drinking system in place.

Of course, I'd not want to see this removed or changed back because I'm sure a LOT of folks prefer the new way of handling this, however I'd propose the following changes would be a big improvement and a good solution for those who would prefer something more realism-based:

1) Allow drinking manually from water containers even when not thirsty. This would IMO have no impact on the game except removing an artificial barrier that reduces realism and player involvement.

2) Make 'auto-drink when thirsty from water in main inventory' a setting toggle under 'Settings', the way we can choose how 'realistic' we want reloading, etc. to be.

(TLDR: bold text is the suggestion, above is just reasoning for it)

1 can be done simply by removing the thirst check in 'ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.lua', I found. 2 would obviously need more code implementation, though I don't imagine it would be hugely complicated?

I'd welcome feedback from the devs as to whether this is possible or not.

I'd like to see auto-drink removed from tainted water. I think only fresh water should have auto-drink.

You can still drink tainted water if you chose to because you need to, but it shouldn't be automatic.

It auto-drinks tainted water? That's a worry! I agree that regardless of my above suggestion being taken on board or not (though I really hope it is), default behaviour should not auto-drink tainted water but allow you to drink it if you *choose* to.

So in a perfect world for me, auto-drinking would be on/off via a toggle in settings... but when 'on', tainted water would not be auto-drink (only fresh). Because you could drink freely from containers at any time, though, you chould choose to drink tainted water if that was all you had and the thirst moodle appeared. With auto-drinking set to 'off', you'd have to drink from containers manually whenever you were thirsty (more realistic but more 'busy work').

When I think of it, I don't know why "auto-drinking" is a thing. No one is constantly sipping from a water bottle. When they're thirsty they drink. For instance, when I sit at my desk and I'm thirsty I get a cup of water and I drink the cup of water.

I think the oddity of it is made more apparent when you think if you had a piece of food in your inventory and you auto-ate it.

It doesn't auto-drink from tainted water sources. Note, continue in Java skips any statements after continue and moves on to the next item(n++)

public void autoDrink()    {        if (GameServer.bServer)            return;                if (GameClient.bClient && this instanceof IsoPlayer && !((IsoPlayer)this).isLocalPlayer())            return;                if (LuaHookManager.TriggerHook("AutoDrink", this))            return;        if (stats.thirst <= 0.1f)            return;        InventoryItem drinkFrom = null;        ArrayList<InventoryItem> items = getInventory().getItems();        for (int n = 0; n < items.size(); n++) {            InventoryItem item = items.get(n);            if (!item.isWaterSource() || item.isBeingFilled() || item.isTaintedWater())                continue;            if (item instanceof Drainable) {                if (((Drainable) item).getUsedDelta() > 0) {                    drinkFrom = item;                    break;                }            } else {                drinkFrom = item;                break;            }        }        if (drinkFrom != null) {            stats.thirst -= 0.1f;            if (GameClient.bClient)                GameClient.instance.drink((IsoPlayer) this, 0.1f);            drinkFrom.Use();        }    }

Though there is a Zombie Globals option to set a maximum threshold of thirst for autodrinking, it is not currently used. Thus, this is not toggleable currently.

When I think of it, I don't know why "auto-drinking" is a thing. No one is constantly sipping from a water bottle. When they're thirsty they drink. For instance, when I sit at my desk and I'm thirsty I get a cup of water and I drink the cup of water.

I think the oddity of it is made more apparent when you think if you had a piece of food in your inventory and you auto-ate it.

The main difference is you get much thirstier much faster than you do get hungry. This is particualrly true when you do other activities.

With food, unless it's the awkwardly small items like berries, the hunger debuff tends to last for a long time. Though with complaints due to the "fix" to hunger in the current version, I've been tempted to write an auto-eat mod. :-|

One of the unfortunate consequences of moodles seems to be that people feel, if they don't remove even slightly negative ones, they'll be left at a great disadvantage.

snip

The main difference is you get much thirstier much faster than you do get hungry. This is particualrly true when you do other activities.

With food, unless it's the awkwardly small items like berries, the hunger debuff tends to last for a long time. Though with complaints due to the "fix" to hunger in the current version, I've been tempted to write an auto-eat mod. :-|

One of the unfortunate consequences of moodles seems to be that people feel, if they don't remove even slightly negative ones, they'll be left at a great disadvantage.

Yes, I agree, you do get thirstier faster.

I think the moodle thing is actually very interesting. As in real life everyone wants to be in a state of comfort. The moodles present discomfort, and the player wishes to alleviate it even if it is only mild. I think it adds to the game, it shows our pampered nature and why, realistically we wouldn't survive for a long time. The inability to ration food or water would be a huge problem for most people and I think it should be re-added as a challenge for players.

It doesn't auto-drink from tainted water sources. Note, continue in Java skips any statements after continue and moves on to the next item(n++)

<snip>

Though there is a Zombie Globals option to set a maximum threshold of thirst for autodrinking, it is not currently used. Thus, this is not toggleable currently.

Thanks for clearing that up (tainted water).

I would VERY much like it if auto-drinking could be toggled on and off via settings, as it seems others would too. Failing that, at least make it moddable so we can set the thirst threshold ourselves and disable it (via a mod). Please?

I agree with Demonic_Kat in that when you're thirsty, you drink a big drink; though you perhaps *should*, most folks don't sip water all day to fend off thirst ala auto-drinking in PZ.

If you're walking around with a water bottle in real life, I'm guessing you drink from it whenever you're thirsty. This, of course, does not apply if you practice rationing . . . but even in PZ, you can do this by not keeping the water bottle in your main inventory.

I can't make things moddable (though I wouldn't say this is impossible to mod as is; it'd just take far too much work to be worth it). That's up to the devs, if they find the time to do this.EasyPickisn did produce a mod for it and a hook does exist, just have to find it / figure out how to use it. :|

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also love too see the possibility to change it down in the road, I'd personally want to turn it off, as I have to double check if I'm putting a full container of water to storage or if my character drank from it if the container is in my inventory. I don't mind having a auto-eat option too, would be nice to have for in case someone goes away without pausing the game/logging off from multiplayer.