Build 34 Discussion

f3rret

Activities currently increase caloric uses, quite significantly, which is great.

And for lean body mass, I agree with you 100%.

Also has your lean body mass increase or decrease your caloric requirement should also increase and decrease.

I will give RJ code suggestion and will explain the suggested change here once it's ready.

Right now I am focusing on suggesting new caloric, macronutrient and the weight value for food.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I want to add something like "you can't eat when well fed", because you're full...

Also need to work on like if you eat too much of a certain food you start to be boring eating it

Go full CDDA. Eat far too much? Make yourself physically ill.

Ah-ha-ha-ha. Oh, that'd make being sick a real pain.

I can see it now, people trying to get better from getting a cold eating soup after soup and end up in a worse shape than before because they didnt knew better.

(This thread is great, i need to test this build myself now)

I just hope that new build not also give us tons of new food and force us to cook stuff before eating, but also will make chef occupation intereting pick.

Imo good chef also know nutrition values of food. Some unique recipes would also be great addition to that forgotten occupation.

Items with missing calories:

Remoulade (depends on size going with 400g based on the fact that bottle is 0.5 full and 0.1 empty which would be 2400, 240 lipis, 53.3 carbs).  Would increase BoredomChange to at least 30 and UnhappyChange to at least 30 (like ketchup). 

Chardonnay (Wine) (481 calories, weight should go up to 1 (bottle 0.3 + liquid 0.7),  [all calories are from alcohol]

Red Wine (Wine 2)  (510 calories, weight should go up to 1 (bottle 0.3 + liquid 0.7), [all calories are from alcohol]

Whiskey (1543 calories, weight should go down to 1 (bottle 0.3 + liquid 0.7) or WiskeyEmpty should go up. [all calories are from alcohol]

Almost done modifying the list of suggested calories from the farming.txt, items.txt and newitems.txt files in my copy of the game.

@vanor: bear in mind i got my nutrition values from americans website, so they should mostly be ok, sometimes because of weight i took different values tho.

Thanks a lot for the missing calories items! :)

@Zorak: new foods and recipes are coming, but a chef always been usefull because he can't get more hunger reduction from food, use rotten foods, bring lot of happyness...

Yep, I focus on getting mine from american website as well.

I Used Amazon for packaged product and nutrition data for raw product or popular American fast food chain for Spiffo type food (burgers, fries, etc).

Again your watermelon (1 watermelon) and cherry (1) caloric value are accurate when not taking weight into account.

I am 80% with changing my Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Calories, Hunger game files value on my second copy of build 34.  Got SmallAnimalMeat and SmallBirdMeat, working on more exotic foraging food items (Farming, Items don working through Newitems).

I will send them your way and explain the change for each item.

I will play sandbox, no zombies and do the exact same thing with the current system and my new suggested one.

I will have 4 test case.

1-Nomad Survivor, running 33% of the time (20 minutes every hours) + 100% of the time while travelling between city.  Current Nutriotion System.

2-Nomad Survivor, running 33% of the time (20 minutes every hours) + 100% of the time while travelling between city. My Modified Value.

3-Woodland (Foraging, Fishing, Farming, Trapping), Running 10% while in town and not running at camp.  Current Nutrition System.

4-Woodland (Foraging, Fishing, Farming, Trapping), Running 10% while in town and not running at camp. My modified value.

Back to the reseach.

More missing items (always going 0.1 PZ = 100g for food):

Rosehips:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/ethnic-foods/10470/2

Carbohydrates = 38,
        Proteins = 2,
        Lipids = 0,
        Calories = 162,
Would boost HungerChange from -2 to -10

GrapeLeaves
        Carbohydrates = 17,
        Proteins = 6,
        Lipids = 2,
        Calories = 93,
Would boost HungerChange from -2 to -6

Violet (assuming you don't want it to be a total waste of time I'm not using a single flower - used sesbania for caloric value, 100g)
        Carbohydrates = 7,
        Proteins = 1,
        Lipids = 0,
        Calories = 27,
HungerChange could stay at -1 or go up to -2

I'm trying to find the moisture percentage in insects to work it back to nutritional values of live insects.

I am unable to find it I will use 70% moisture which is the average of meat.

Here is the macronutrient weight ratio in the insect we have in game based on Scholarly article on the topic:

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mnfr.201200735/abstract

The percentages are for Dry Matter and in weight not in Calorie percentage (fat being more caloric).  

That is why I am interested in moisture percentage to convert it back to a live insect.

Crickets:

Protein: 66.56%

Fat: 22.08%

Carbs (including Fibers): 24.68%

Weight I am using for the average crickets are 6g (guesstimate only)

Cockroach:

Protein: 57.3%

Fat: 29.9%

Carbs (including Fibers):  9.84%

Average Cockroach Adult Weight is 15g (13g really but using 15g) (this one is precise)

Grasshopper:

Protein: 62.73%

Fat: 2.49%

Carbs (including Fibers): 33.01%

I am using an average weight of 9 g for grasshopper (this was to respect the relative HungerChange of -6, -7 and -9 of the different Insects in game, I couldn't find scientific value so far).

I will be assuming that 1 insect is actually a bunch of insects.

Will post recommended values later this afternoon... 

The final piece of the puzzle: earthworm.

Protein: 62.2%

Fat: 17.7%

Size use 20 cm (8 inch).  Still figuring out mass.   

Found weight here:

http://www.biologyjunction.com/earthworm%20facts.htm

So going with 8g for the worm.   This should align well with -5 Hunger from  the Worm compared to other insects (especially considering the higher water ratio).

If anyone has information on water ratio it would be appreciated.  

If I can't find it, I will use 75% since I assume the water content of an earthworm is likely higher than an insect.

Didn't Want to clutter the build tracker thread, so as instructed here is a quote from it:

Fix some problems with calories (fish fillet have no calories? that'll explain some weird datas, but also I'm sure I did this code :D), evolved recipes base item nutrition aren't take in calcul (like cake dough..)

When I was eating fish fillets with J having the panel open, I got no nutrients at all. No calories, carbs, lipids, or proteins, so for whatever reason filleting them is not giving any nutrition outside of hunger reduction (not sure what nutrients fish are suppose to give, guessing lipids, proteins, and calories).

Also, I know I've harped on this in the past, but can we at all get away from dependency on a saw for enabling basic trapping (and perhaps making a mortar and pestle, I mean you should be able to craft a crude one with a bowl + stone). At the very least stick traps, and perhaps even snare traps, should be able to be made with materials you find outdoors. You can lock it behind higher levels of foraging to keep it out of reach for low level foragers.

Also, as Ohbai suggested earlier, I think honey would make an excellent edition to foraging, and can be placed at one of the empty higher levels (9 or 10), to represent having the skill to not only locate, but safely extract it. These levels would definitely be out of reach of the average character, but would give people invested in foraging a long term goal.

Also, I think level 3 or 5 would be a good opportunity to allow basic trapping if foraging was allowed to enable it (by placing the twine replacement here). Again, these are out of reach for any character who hasn't either invested into foraging at creation, or spent at least a couple of months foraging.

Looking forward to testing outdoor nutrition once fillets are fixed.

It seems that as more an insect does have "armour" (chitin) in it's body, the less water it has inside (percentual).
It goes from 50% (wheat weevil - some kind of bug) to 90% (some caterpillar).

That is what I found in some german course book to entomology, which I did found per google.

The final piece of the puzzle: earthworm.

Protein: 62.2%

Fat: 17.7%

Size use 20 cm (8 inch).  Still figuring out mass.   

Found weight here:

http://www.biologyjunction.com/earthworm%20facts.htm

So going with 8g for the worm.   This should align well with -5 Hunger from  the Worm compared to other insects (especially considering the higher water ratio).

If anyone has information on water ratio it would be appreciated.  

If I can't find it, I will use 75% since I assume the water content of an earthworm is likely higher than an insect.

So, as mentioned above, from my information, I would suggest 90% water percentage for earthworms...

Yep, worm suggested stats:

item Worm
    {
        HungerChange = -5,
        Weight = 0.1,
        Type = Food,
        DisplayName = Worm,
        Icon = Worm,
        UnhappyChange = 20,
        FishingLure     =   true,
        Carbohydrates = 0,
        Proteins = 5.55,
        Lipids = 0,
        Calories = 10,
    }

To:
    item Worm
    {
        HungerChange = 0,
        Weight = 0.01,
        Type = Food,
        DisplayName = Worm,
        Icon = Worm,
        UnhappyChange = 20,
        FishingLure     =   true,
        Carbohydrates = 0,
        Proteins = 0.5,
        Lipids = 0.1,
        Calories = 3,
    }

This would make worm viable only to fish (note the dramatic reduction in weight which is more realistic and also better aligned with the new limited role of earthworm).

If worms could be combined together you could always eat a bunch of worms to get a worthwhile amount of food.  

Of course, it would almost make you instantly depressed or worse to eat a mouthful of live squirming worms.

What's your guys opinion on this?  Should worm become mostly bait for fish and bait for stick traps (again assuming that fish and fish filet are fixed and provide decent caloric value).

Hm, to be honest. I'm not so sure, if bugs should get you some depression-points, at all. As far as I've heard, roasted insects are a delicacy in some countries...
Maybe the negative bonus for your morale should vanish when you get ranks in foraging... (because you get used to it..)

I think, worms should give you same hunger reduction as berries, shouldn't they?

If it was a bunch of worms yes, just like berries are considered a bunch.

Will see where RJ want's to take it.

The problem with worms is that you can get them both from Digging and Foraging (at least I think you can still get them from Digging) which requires no skills (Digging part).

Plus worms is bait for fishing and for stick traps (to catch birds).

That's why worms were considering overpowered for survival.   Now if they are only useful for fishing and trapping it might actually balanced things more.

Especially considering I'm advocating calories increase from other sources of food.

Based on that I would argue that not worms should not give the same hunger reduction as berries unless you are eating the same quantities (i.e 1 bunch of berries and 10 worms).

Potentially combining worms into a bunch of worms could be a new recipe for worms enthusiast.

As far as not getting happiness penalty from insect I think there should be new traits:

Entomophagy Enthusiast (no penalty while eating bugs)  2 Points

Entomophobia (can't eat bugs) -2 Points

Other potential traits:

Hard Vegetarian (can't eat meat or chance of getting sick while eating meat) -6 Points

Clean Eater (get's happiness from eating healthy food and unhappiness from junk food)  2 Points

Junk Food addict (get's unhappiness from eating healthy food).  -2 Points

Over time by eating clean and healthy (many months) you would move to Clean Eater, if you eat Junk Food only (many weeks) you could gain Junk Food addict (getting addicted to Junk Food is a lot easier then becoming a clean eater).

A high-level cook should be able to add insects in recipes and cancel the penalty (another benefit of cooking which could get more love).

Don't know what Robert's roadmap is for the Nutrition portion but what I hope it is, is the following:

1-Fixing calorie intake and calories transfers in recipes (as well as nutrient).

2-Fixing basic calories outtakes (baseline for weight 80, Fitness 5, Strength 5 character) and altering calorie burn potentially having 5 states (sleeping/resting, walking/normal activities, moderate exertion (foraging), high exertion (digging, carpentry building/barricading, very high exertion (fighting, sprinting, cutting trees).

3-Fixing advance calories outtake (alter calories base on Fitness, Strength, Calorie reserver, Hunger level, trait and overall body weight (if not linked to Fitness/Strenght).  Higher Fitness burning less, Higher Strength burning more, Higher calorie reserve burning more (transferring to body fat), Negative caloric level burning less, Higher Positive Hunger level burning more, Higher Negative Hunger level burning more, being cold and shivering burning more, being sick/injured burning more, Earthy Appetite should increase State 1 and State 2 calorie burn,  Light Eater should reduce State 1 and State 2 calorie burn, and finally Body Weight if not tied into Fitness and Strenght.

4-Tweaking Hunger (linking it either to calories only, or if want more precise to a greater extend to Protein and Fibers and to a much lesser extent Fat and Carbs).

5-Tweaking food happiness, only a bit or a lot depending on realism.  For realistic happiness, it would be mostly derived from Fat, Sugar, Salt, Spice and Cook Level (things that affect our appreciation of food in real life).

6-Relooking at thirst (if part of nutrition build).   Water reserve should be converted to water volume basis (in ml).  Each calorie burnt should result in burning 1ml.    A lot of food should provide Thirst reduction (most vegetable being 70 to 90% water).    Getting Hot (moodle) should increase the loss of water.   Alcohol should increase the loss of water.

The above six items are what I hope we will see evolved from the Nutrition system and potentially through iterative test builds.

Since there seems to be a heavy investment of research on worms going on here, from dissecting a few, i would recommend that gutting them/cooking them be required as they often have other insects in their guts which can lead to developing parasites. Maybe a little over kill, but if you've seen what i've pulled out of them you wouldn't randomly pick up a worm and eat it. Here is a link to a girl who, in the world of zomboid, would have died after a month due lack of proper health care from eating an earthworm. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16452340

As far as nutrition goes. I have experience in suffering from severe malnutrition from my previous semester at college. Currently hoping my hair grows back from my last stint. Randomly noticing one day that my hair massively thinned was very depressing.   My teeth started bleeding even though i had brushed them regularly and were getting a little loose and having nightmares of wigglingly them out in my sleep. My finger toe/nails had kinks in them from a rapid change in growth rate, and my vision became blurry.  During this time i was eating nothing but ramen, some peanuts (completes amino profile of ramen), and the occassional pizza, but i would also go several days at a time without food as well. I was still fat though.  I didn't notice physcial problems from the malnutrition until after a month of eating properly again, maybe three months after my initial malnutrition incidences started occuring. so things are definitely not immediate

More immediate feelings though was that after the first month of off and on eating with low nutrient food was that i lost my appetite and any real sense of taste as i would eat anything just to put it in my stomach, i had no care in the world if it was cooked and just started eating things raw or out of the can, but eventhough i lost my appetite, I would randomly scarf things down like a dog even if i wasn't hungry sometimes to the point of hurting gut. I felt rather jaded and nihilistic after a while. One stint i went four days without eating and didn't care at all. My stomach hurt the first day so i decided not to eat, the second day, i felt sleep was more important than going to the store, one the third day stores were closed for Christmas, and on the fourth day, i just said fuck it, i'm going to a Christmas dinner tomorrow, so there is no point in going out and buying food today.  I also have friends who were in a similar situation where the need to buy a cigarette or weed was more important than buying food even after being without food for two days. The point i am trying to make with this is that at some point or threshold, you just stop caring about eating and becomes a vicious cycle the leads to incredible malnutrition because the depression overtakes the hunger to the point where you don't really feel it anymore (even the munchies looses effect), and it starts to feel like a bearable annoyance. Once food becomes available again though, you just start scoffing things down repeatedly until you gain your appetite and feeling of fullness back again. In this regard, there is documentation that after the holocaust, The Russians were not allowed to feed the people they rescued because of cases where the survivors would eat until their stomachs would burst. Der Ort des Terrors has references of this apparently though i first read it in an autobiography called Night by Elie Wiesel.  In this autobiography you can kind of feel that hunger no longer becomes a pressing issue in his mind after a while. People often mention that the Germans poisoned their water to make them more docile and Controllable, but i think the side effect of starving where you simply lose your ability to care had more of an effect on this. 

so if youre looking for suggestion for effects in game.  After suffering malnutrition for a while, you eventually stop feeling hunger and panic thus loose motivation to eat, and that hunger get replaced by slight stomach pain, while depression/tiredness/exhaustion skyrockets after a month, after two months, you start developing physically manifestations of starving such as scurvy/hair loss (this would be interesting to see in game)  

in addition to the autobiography called night I think the show Naked and Afraid (21 days without modern food), and Naked and Afraid XL (40 days) can provide decent research material in regard to the effects of starvation. Most of them end up "getting by" on 300 cals a day, but it pays a heavy toll on them, their calorie intake universally starts increasing towards the end though for those that care. Also journals from artic explorers and "rabbit starvation/protein poisoning" could also be useful though is a different issue than what i was talking about.  I suffered from protein poisoning as a kid, I lost shit tonnes of weight off of it in comparison to my malnutrition story as i couldn't really eat anything without vomiting and was in tremendous discomfort. Charles Darwin also has some interesting excerpts of eating behavior in "The Voyage of the Beagle" but that may be too extensive, but one important excerpt was that being on an all carnivore diet allows one to go days without eating without ill effects like a puma (pumas and other carnivores only eat once every four days) as long as you have a high fat to protein ratio.  

Thanks for sharing ulfstein would be cool to recreate things like that in the game (not so to experience in real life).

I hope you are doing better nowadays.

Few other missing items with calories in game and suggested values (simply re-using current in-game values for bread):

item Dough
{
        HungerChange = -15,
Weight = 0.3,
Type = Food,
DisplayName = Dough,
Icon = Dough,
        MinutesToCook = 40,
IsCookable = TRUE,
DangerousUncooked = TRUE,
DaysTotallyRotten = 4,
MinutesToBurn = 80,
        UnhappyChange = -20,
        ThirstChange = 20,
        Carbohydrates = 99,
        Proteins = 17.7,
        Lipids = 6.66,
        Calories = 532,
}

item DoughRolled
{
        HungerChange = -15,
Weight = 0.3,
Type = Food,
DisplayName = Rolled Dough,
Icon = DoughRolled,
        UnhappyChange = -20,
        ThirstChange = 20,
        Carbohydrates = 99,
        Proteins = 17.7,
        Lipids = 6.66,
        Calories = 532,
}

item BakingTrayBread
{
        HungerChange = -15,
Weight = 0.8,
Type = Food,
DisplayName = Baking Tray With Bread,
Icon = BakingTray_bread,
        UnhappyChange = -20,
        ThirstChange = 20,
        ReplaceOnUse = BakingTray,
        ReplaceOnCooked     =   Base.BakingTray;Base.Dough,
        IsCookable = TRUE,
        MinutesToCook = 40,
        MinutesToBurn = 80,
        Carbohydrates = 99,
        Proteins = 17.7,
        Lipids = 6.66,
        Calories = 532,
}

Using a bloody big 100g cupcake to get to Hunger:-20 (left weight at original 0.2 but I would put it at 0.1).
A butter frosting cupcake could be smaller with more lipids and fewer carbs.

item Cupcake
{
HungerChange = -20,
Weight = 0.2,
AlwaysWelcomeGift = TRUE,
Type = Food,
DisplayName = Cupcake,
Icon = Cupcake,
Carbohydrates = 67,
Proteins = 4,
Lipids = 4,
Calories = 305,
}

Question on Cheese Sandwich and Grilled Cheese (they are missing calories):

Are we still going with the full bread and full cheese being consumed for the monster CheeseSandwhich recipes?

Are we also still going for the Cheese Sandwich and the full 3200 calories of butter (1 pound) being consumed for the Epic Meal Time worthy Butter Soaked Grilled Cheese Sandwich of over 3845 calories with current values?

I will combine those values based on the current crafting recipes in my file, but it should probably be reviewed.

Otherwise, just make 10 Grilled Cheese and you can survive the apocalypse. (clyde)

Pumpkin pie should not use the same value has pie (which was described has a meat pie).

The caloric values could be the same but the macronutrient should not.   If you want to keep it simple you could simply flip the Protein and the Carbs in the Pumpkin Pie.

PotOfSoup has hard calories instead of being calculated from the ingredient not sure if this is a placeholder or not.   Will try different soups and see if they all give 125 calories.

From RobertJohnson:

Update 2!

• Added icons for the new traits (not definitive icons!)
  • Added new traits descriptions
  • You now can't eat if you're well fed
  • Fixed weight-related trait sometimes not being updated in character info screen
  • Changed single berry in a bunch of berries
  • Added pasta & rice (they are evolved recipes, lot of food can be added in them, you need a water pot to prepare them)
  • Added several foods to evolved recipes (canned foods can now be added to recipes, etc...)
  • Fixed cutting fish filet not adding nutritional values
  • Fixed unfit/out of shape being good traits
  • Well fed moodle will stay bit longer
  • Fixed some evolved recipes incorrect numbers
  • Reduced speed of gaining/losing weight
  • Calories to gain weight is now based on your weight (the more you have weight, the more calories is needed to gain weight)
  • You know start at 800 calories (previously 500)
  • Fixed Emaciated trait having wrong value
  • Fixed nutrition values in food tooltip being displayed in green
  • Fixed nutrition value of base item (cake preparation, pie dough..) not being added in evolved recipe
  • Balanced some nutrition values

I would suggest that the calories burn decrease based on current character weight like so (using weight of 80 has the base weight, which is the default weight for starting character with no traits):

From

if(this.parent.IsRunning()) {
if(modifier == 1.0F) {
++this.exerciseTick;
}

modifier = 1.0F;
this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleExercise:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleExercise) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate());

else if(this.parent.isAsleep()) {
this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleSleeping:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleSleeping) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate());
++this.sleepTick;

else {
this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleNormal:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleNormal) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate());
++this.normalTick;
}

To

if(this.parent.IsRunning()) {
            if(modifier == 1.0F) {
                ++this.exerciseTick;
            }

modifier = 1.0F;
            this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleExercise:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleExercise) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate()/this.getWeight()* 80.0F);
        } else if(this.parent.isAsleep()) {
            this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleSleeping:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleSleeping) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate()/this.getWeight()* 80.0F);
            ++this.sleepTick;
        } else {
            this.setCalories(this.getCalories() - (this.isFemale?this.caloriesDecreraseFemaleNormal:this.caloriesDecreraseMaleNormal) * modifier * GameTime.getInstance().getGameWorldSecondsSinceLastUpdate()/this.getWeight()* 80.0F);
            ++this.normalTick;
        }

I am focusing on Calories right now, not macronutrient.

One of the problems of the code right now is that macronutrients are being reduced at a constant rate while calories are being reduced at a varying rate based on activities.

Also, you should make a decision if you want to include Hearty Appetite and Light Eater Trait.  If you do the 1.5 and .75 multiplier should be added in calculating the Calories in Nutrition.

If not because you don't want it to affect your baseline stats it should either be removed from the available Traits or they should both be set to 1.0F in the Hunger calculation in IsoGameCharacter.