caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=12
totalStarvingPercentage=16
totalNormalHungerPercentage=72

totalExoPercentage=30
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=78

survivalTime=634.4041989493417

After playing my character for 5th day, I noticed that freezers are not working for me. Either there's hidden mechanic behind it, or they simply cease to freeze when the player is not around. I noticed there is a progress bar in it with a progress, but I got first rotten items in freezers so far at day 5

After playing my character for 5th day, I noticed that freezers are not working for me. Either there's hidden mechanic behind it, or they simply cease to freeze when the player is not around. I noticed there is a progress bar in it with a progress, but I got first rotten items in freezers so far at day 5

Maybe the electricity went down? But that happens around day 10-12, also there is a sandbox option called Fridge Efficiency i think, but i cant tell if that affects Freezers, probably a bug.

Maybe the electricity went down? But that happens around day 10-12, also there is a sandbox option called Fridge Efficiency i think, but i cant tell if that affects Freezers, probably a bug.

That's a valid suggestion, but the lights and regular refigerators seems to work just fine. Unless there's some another variable to determine whether electricity works for freezer set in stone, there's something wrong with it.

I originally thought that the freezer work when you are close, but seems I was wrong with it too - they just refuse to do so.

P.S. I've been playing on "The First Week" setting

EDIT: There is one bug that may not be completely related to the v34 build, as I think was happenening for me in previous versions too, but since container capacities are being tweaked upon, there's one issue that might be worth looking at.

I have trouble with filling most of my containers - be it bags or world containers fully without resorting to items that weight less than 0.1 units (for example nails). I've been always playing with Organized trait, and it was kinda annoying to me (even more with the more limited space in containers :))

I think there may be some rounding errors with how the improved carrying capacity for Organized trait is being calculated.

Edited by Faalagorn

After trying to freeze some things on a new test character, I actually managed to freeze one thing. After that, however, I wasn't able to freeze either the carton of eggs, eggs taken out of it or unfreeze the contents, resulting in a "broken" freeze mechanic, at least for that freezer. I haven't tried relogging and trying random stuff, but at least I think it's not related to being in proximity as I suspected before. I'll try to test it out and update if I find anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot eggs are unfreezable. So on this save it's clean, but I definetely had a problem with other things before. I'll try to test it more thorough anyway.

Edited by Faalagorn

Another 14 days of survival in my approach to collect data from the beginning to the late game. I have survived 3 months now in survival mode and I could increase weight by 28 days of constantly eating. I literally spend most of the time with cooking, foraging, hunting and farming to stay well fed all the time and get some weight back. My weight is stable around 35 kg it seems I can't get higher with that diet but it is much better than the 29 kg 14 days ago. (see also the previous reports about 1.5 months and 2 months of survival.

Further stats:

averageCalories=775.3112
caloriesMax=2946.7148
caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=43
totalStarvingPercentage=2
totalNormalHungerPercentage=55

totalExoPercentage=13
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=90

survivalTime=2231.7559553153114

And I also found a bug: If I eat some frozen ice cream it is replaced in the freezer by a box of melted icecream. So you can literally eat 2 box of icecream. And after the electricity shut down the food in the freezer never get unfreezed. My freezers are still in use although I have no electricity since 6 weeks now.

Mmh ok, thanks a lot, gonna look into this.

I nerfed a bit the calories reduction/weight reduction as it's main people problem, even tho I think it's gonna create problem for those who live only from looting/canned food (which is often high calories), but it should be rather ok...

I really want people to fear the starvation.. But not at start...

Even tho you try to live in the forest from day 1, so it maybe should be rather normal... Maybe I should increase a bit the nutrition given by the fishes/foraging goods...

I nerfed a bit the calories reduction/weight reduction as it's main people problem, even tho I think it's gonna create problem for those who live only from looting/canned food (which is often high calories), but it should be rather ok...

Even tho you try to live in the forest from day 1, so it maybe should be rather normal... Maybe I should increase a bit the nutrition given by the fishes/foraging goods...

Keep in mind that the canned and refrigerated items eventually run out, and there's multiplayer and custom scenarios when you are forced to live on nature's blessings from day one :)

I think perhaps a better idea besides tweaking them too much, is to perhaps utilize some of the empty foraging levels. That way for people who live by looting, foraging will only be done as a desperation act. Those who wish to live in the wild would need to invest heavily into foraging/fishing/trapping (also, please enable some kind of basic trapping from foraging).

I believe honey was mentioned earlier as a realistic possible foraged item, and you could lock it at one of the empty higher tiers (5, 9, and 10 currently offer nothing).

Basic trapping could perhaps be unlocked by something found at foraging levels 1 or 3, as both of those are empty. Filling out some of the empty foraging levels could fix some of the nutrition issues from people relying on foraging and fishing alone instead of further tweaking values of what is meant to be novice items found by would be foragers.

Kind of worried if the formula itself keeps being tweaked, it'll largely be meaingless. :/

Rather, it seems like the simplest solution would just to be to cap weight loss and weight gain at an appropriate value per 24 hour period.

I'm also worried by that, and because calories is capped, weight loss/gain is also capped.

What build do you use to live in the forest from day 1 and loose weight like this?

If you're only "average" or less in foraging/fishing/trapping i won't bet on you for survival! But a full outdoor man should be able to survive yes, I'll try that tomorrow, if not I'll increase nutrition values for those foods.

You already need less calories if you're underweight to start to loose weight, but I should increase that cap, so even if you're down to 50kg then you'll be stable, and develop your skills to start gaining weight again.

2 months 4 days :

averageCalories=-2074.6604
caloriesMax=3999.976
caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=5
totalStarvingPercentage=70
totalNormalHungerPercentage=25

totalExoPercentage=13
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=89

survivalTime=1552.1239597945823

Well actually I live in the warehouse south of the center of Muldraugh. Right in the beginning I ate all the food found in fridges and stock up the non-perishables for the winter. However, I suffered from an early electricity shut down so I had to switch to farming, foraging and trapping. Since 4 weeks I am eating 1.5-2 stir-fries a day (bird/ rabbit meat and vegetables (cabbages, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, radish, mushrooms), each 75-110 hunger reduction). Additonally, I eat berries between the large meals if I got some from foraging. Usually I stay well fed all the time interrupted only by 1-2 days of loot runs within 14 days of survival. If I am on a loot run I just try to eat 3 times a day a portion of stir-fry with 40-50 hunger reduction.

Kind of worried if the formula itself keeps being tweaked, it'll largely be meaingless. :/

Rather, it seems like the simplest solution would just to be to cap weight loss and weight gain at an appropriate value per 24 hour period.

I'm also worried by that, and because calories is capped, weight loss/gain is also capped.

What build do you use to live in the forest from day 1 and loose weight like this?

If you're only "average" or less in foraging/fishing/trapping i won't bet on you for survival! But a full outdoor man should be able to survive yes, I'll try that tomorrow, if not I'll increase nutrition values for those foods.

You already need less calories if you're underweight to start to loose weight, but I should increase that cap, so even if you're down to 50kg then you'll be stable, and develop your skills to start gaining weight again.

I started the game with Build 34.8. I had a tough start with early electricity shut down so I had some hungry days till I managed to set up my safehouse, traps and a farm. After 1.5 months I started to try to gain weight back and I managed to get some weight with just eating a lot of food that I got by trapping, farming and foraging.

I'm now loosing weight again. Currently I am at 32.5 kg. I just had one day when I was very hungry cause a horde delayed my retourn to my home. As you can see below I could increase the percentage of beeing well fed but the average calories dropped from 775 to -1070. And this is probably the reason for the weight loss I am experiencing now (3.5 months of survival).

averageCalories=-1070.5956

caloriesMax=2946.7148

caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=44

totalStarvingPercentage=0

totalNormalHungerPercentage=56

totalExoPercentage=15

totalSleepPercentage=1

totalNormalPercentage=88

survivalTime=2552.222505834594

Update 9!

• Fixed some items typo
  • Lowered a tad the calories and weight loss
  • Weight loss is now tied to your weight, so if you're underweight you'll start to loose weight after -400 calories instead of 0, etc...
  • Can't go under 35kg, at this point you'll start to loose health
  • Reduced the minimum calories cap to 2800 (from 3500) so it'll be easier to gain weight after a long diet
  • Fixed general freezing problem (age, stopping the freezing update after no electricity..)
  • Added nutritionist trait (you can see every nutritional values on any food, fitness instructor have it for free)
  • Can now split pasta/rice pot into bowls
  • Fixed spawn points debug code
  • Added freezer to big fridge
  • Can now use bolognese in recipes

Hi,

I've not quite tried out the food system in the game but I'm curious since I see a lot of talk

about weight gain and weight loss.

Does this weight gain and weight loss take into account the fact that you're spending a lot of time

doing hard physical labor (running, climbing, carrying heavy packs, fighting, walking) Meaning you could

stuff yourself with lots of things.

Secondly I'm concerned, again not tried it yet, with the thought of how often you're eating. I know you're looking at a 'realistic' model of eating/drinking and the impact of not doing so, but the game time is usually very compressed.

Day length of 30 minutes in default setting, meaning you'll eat once every 30 minutes unless it is the very real 2 or 3 meals in a single day which means eating every 10-15 minutes of game time. Essentially how are you going to balance this with gameplay as I'd like to think the game is about more than just eating every 10-15 or 30 minutes, especially when you consider the time it takes to put together food things, prepare and cook them. Due to time being so compressed, your character can spend 4-5 hours of day time making dinner when realistically thats only when you'd make a feast of epic food in real life.

And on top of that you'd be gaining and losing weight on a daily basis, while your weight can change irl day to day, its a game with a compressed day cycle, I'd personally like to see an average modifier that adjusts your weight over a week, I mean if you don't eat one day, it'll have marginal impact on your weight, you'll be hungry but you can function pretty well.

Then my last bit is the question of nutrition, maybe I misunderstood but balanced diet and such, is that a thing? Balanced how? I'm alive and well and have barely eaten any carbs in the past two years. A person could quite literally survive eating only broccoli, fish and water.

Also, side note for those that posted about eating rabbit and being malnurished: There's a term called Rabbit Starvation, you can eat all the rabbit you want and still starve to death due to the lack of fat in it, lots of protein, no fat = bad. However its fine if you eat it with fats or carbs (energy sources) just don't expect much energy from it on its own.

Sorry for lengthy commentary, I love that this food stuff is a thing and I just had to ask to get some clarity in what the idea is in relation to gameplay, it is a game after all and not pure simulation. (Then we'd be on 24h day cycles)

The beauty of it is, nobody is forcing you to use it. Don't like it? Just disable it in Sandbox. Survival is going to become harder and harder as features are added, it was always intended to be a hardcore experience so a hardcore nutritional system doesn't seem far-fetched.

Side note: I also doubt it will end up being as realistic as people expect, it still needs to be manageable/gamey enough for people to enjoy it.

Hi,

I've not quite tried out the food system in the game but I'm curious since I see a lot of talk

about weight gain and weight loss.

Does this weight gain and weight loss take into account the fact that you're spending a lot of time

doing hard physical labor (running, climbing, carrying heavy packs, fighting, walking) Meaning you could

stuff yourself with lots of things.

Secondly I'm concerned, again not tried it yet, with the thought of how often you're eating. I know you're looking at a 'realistic' model of eating/drinking and the impact of not doing so, but the game time is usually very compressed.

Day length of 30 minutes in default setting, meaning you'll eat once every 30 minutes unless it is the very real 2 or 3 meals in a single day which means eating every 10-15 minutes of game time. Essentially how are you going to balance this with gameplay as I'd like to think the game is about more than just eating every 10-15 or 30 minutes, especially when you consider the time it takes to put together food things, prepare and cook them. Due to time being so compressed, your character can spend 4-5 hours of day time making dinner when realistically thats only when you'd make a feast of epic food in real life.

And on top of that you'd be gaining and losing weight on a daily basis, while your weight can change irl day to day, its a game with a compressed day cycle, I'd personally like to see an average modifier that adjusts your weight over a week, I mean if you don't eat one day, it'll have marginal impact on your weight, you'll be hungry but you can function pretty well.

Then my last bit is the question of nutrition, maybe I misunderstood but balanced diet and such, is that a thing? Balanced how? I'm alive and well and have barely eaten any carbs in the past two years. A person could quite literally survive eating only broccoli, fish and water.

Also, side note for those that posted about eating rabbit and being malnurished: There's a term called Rabbit Starvation, you can eat all the rabbit you want and still starve to death due to the lack of fat in it, lots of protein, no fat = bad. However its fine if you eat it with fats or carbs (energy sources) just don't expect much energy from it on its own.

Sorry for lengthy commentary, I love that this food stuff is a thing and I just had to ask to get some clarity in what the idea is in relation to gameplay, it is a game after all and not pure simulation. (Then we'd be on 24h day cycles)

The beauty of it is, nobody is forcing you to use it. Don't like it? Just disable it in Sandbox. Survival is going to become harder and harder as features are added, it was always intended to be a hardcore experience so a hardcore nutritional system doesn't seem far-fetched.

Side note: I also doubt it will end up being as realistic as people expect, it still needs to be manageable/gamey enough for people to enjoy it.

Oh yeah, my questions are more in the line of will the hunt for realism be to the detriment of gameplay? I like the idea of food system but as you say, it need to be enjoyable and manageable. You don't play "manage my diet" simulator in a zombie apocalypse game.

I believe honey was mentioned earlier as a realistic possible foraged item, and you could lock it at one of the empty higher tiers (5, 9, and 10 currently offer nothing).

A few weeks back I was looking into high caloric foods that could be foraged, and Honey was my best bet. Its already in game, so one less problems. What I like the most of this is that it has many possibilities:

1. You should collect the honey from the hives.

2. The hives could be made physical (not something you get automatically while /foraging), and make them to appear random on the map for each game. 

3. Collecting honey should have its risks: you could get in troubles with the bees if not done properly (new equipment? using cigarretes?)

You don't play "manage my diet" simulator in a zombie apocalypse game.

Actually managing stuff is one of my favourite things that fits in the game, along with managing psychical comfort, health, and inventory :)

100% agree. Any survival game has to rely heavily on management, from all angles: health management, inventory, time, stamina, mood, etc. Its the beauty behind the scenario. 

Oh, and great update, by the way, thanks RJ! :)

After trying to freeze some things on a new test character, I actually managed to freeze one thing. After that, however, I wasn't able to freeze either the carton of eggs, eggs taken out of it or unfreeze the contents, resulting in a "broken" freeze mechanic, at least for that freezer. I haven't tried relogging and trying random stuff, but at least I think it's not related to being in proximity as I suspected before. I'll try to test it out and update if I find anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot eggs are unfreezable. So on this save it's clean, but I definetely had a problem with other things before. I'll try to test it more thorough anyway.

I believe that only certain items can be frozen. That might be why you were having troubles with your other items that went rotten.