RELEASED: Build 34.10 - Food Tracker Build

RobertJohnson

So ran almost non-stop from Muldraugh to West Point.

Ate 2 Watermelon, 1 Grape, 1.5 Jar of Peanut Butter.

Weight went up from 60 to 60.49

Nutrition Debug:

averageCalories=2542.5435
caloriesMax=3999.9797
caloriesMin=0.0

totalFedPercentage=24
totalStarvingPercentage=0
totalNormalHungerPercentage=76

totalExoPercentage=54
totalSleepPercentage=0
totalNormalPercentage=51

survivalTime=22.775164381280774

Okay, so I had a crash, a log snippet follows in 

STATE: exit zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState1 players foundplayer 0 is mousePLAYER DATA OFFSET 02270453240.33333333333334createInventoryInterface player=0loot inv createdloot all visiblecontext menu createdcontext menu initialisedcontext menu addedSTATE: enter zombie.gameStates.IngameStateInit ISContextManagerFirstNAME:Bobjava.lang.NullPointerException	at zombie.inventory.types.Food.update(Food.java:245)	at zombie.iso.IsoCell.ProcessItems(IsoCell.java:1287)	at zombie.iso.IsoCell.update(IsoCell.java:5167)	at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.update(IsoWorld.java:2503)	at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.update(IngameState.java:1257)	at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:101)	at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:619)	at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1175)	at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:974)	at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:173)reanimate: saved 0 zombiesSTATE: exit zombie.gameStates.IngameState 

At this point, it reloaded the mainscreen state. It was a custom sandbox, with no zombies, 6 months later. 

You should still be able to cook Pasta and Rice in a pot of water. It's pretty much how you are supposed to do it in a lot of cases.

Long long ago, being secretly annoying, we proposed doing recipes similar to . . .

Rice || Pasta + BoilingWater + CookingVessel

Where CookingVessel can be anything from pots, saucepans, frying pans .etc just by tagging their item definition.

For small quantities of pasta, a saucepan does make sense, but there's no real reason to hitch it to only a saucepan.

/Annoying

So far i've lost 12 kg (from 60 to 48) in 19 days by only eating as much as I need to survive. seems fair to me, maybe a bit too fast?

Will there be a difference between male and female? cos 60 kg is not "very underweight" for a girl :)

And as someone who is underweight irl I can safely say that it doesn't make it easier to gain weight, quite the opposite. :)

Also would be nice if the weight loss was exponential so it would be harder to lose weight the less you weighted? 

Nutrition log:

averageCalories=-1959.0247
caloriesMax=881.604
caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=2
totalStarvingPercentage=83
totalNormalHungerPercentage=15

totalExoPercentage=2
totalSleepPercentage=4
totalNormalPercentage=96

survivalTime=469.3858811867249

edit: also turns out you can't open canned chili with a can opener, wish I had known that before starting to starve :P

There's no difference between men/women, because otherwise everyone would take woman as you need less calories :)

Well, not really. Because if we put the underweight starting weight down ~10, the normal starting weight down ~15, and the overweight starting weight down ~20, it would still have the same level of difficulty, but make it more realistic, would it not?

No need to make things different between men and women. Whether one takes more calories than another depends on the man and depends on the woman (in other words, it would depend on who it is, not the gender).

~~

On the new build:

The canned bolognese can't be opened with a canopener. I'm interested to see what I can do with that.

Really awesome to finally find Mac and Cheese as well as sunflower seeds.

Also mac and cheese should be treated like ramen noodles and need to be added into a soup or recipe of some kind, to get rid of thirst (for eating them by themselves). This would keep it consistent as it's also a pasta noodle.

Mac and cheese could also be prepared in a bowl similar to how oatmeal is.

Also, sunflower seeds should be added to the ingredients list for Roasted Vegetables and Salad (if they aren't already).

I love the new foodstuffs and preperation options. You guys are doing a super job and I love the build already.

(I can also confirm that I am still finding the occasional fridge full of only rotten food on day 1)

There's no difference between men/women, because otherwise everyone would take woman as you need less calories :)

Make them weaker? you're aiming to be realistic right? :)

whoa there.....i know plenty of woman who are easily as strong, or stronger, than many of the males i know.

best too not make assumptions like that.

whoa there.....i know plenty of woman who are easily as strong, or stronger, than many of the males i know.

Well, this could possibly be how it works.

- Lightweight woman weighs less than Lightweight man.

- Normal woman weighs less than Normal man, but more than Lightweight man.

- Overweight woman weighs less than Overweight man, but more than Normal man.

- Weak woman is weaker than Weak man.

- Normal woman is weaker than Normal man, but stronger than Weak man.

- Strong woman is weaker than Strong man, but stronger than Normal man.

Since that's how it works in real life (human biology), we could use this for balance, and could generate differing play styles.

First of all, great job on the updates! First the evolved recipes, now nutrition - I wasn't expecting Zomboid to have such realistic food system, especially still during early acess stages :)

Secondly:

• Added DayFresh option on Ham
Yay! One annoying bug of of the way.  (clyde)

There still seems to be more bugs/inconsistencies with food unfortunately, I'll try to list them below, but first let me share with you a complete list of food I made based on the data from build 34.6 (took me an afternoon to make it, a bit longer than I wanted, but the list should be complete and relatively easy to update for me for the future updates :geek: )

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS RELATED TO THE FOOD - if you don't want to know all the nutritional values, freshness times, cooking times or want to discover all the food ingame as you play, you may want to find this spreadsheet spoiling too much for you. If you are like me, however, and want to see all the data clearly, feel free to proceed :)

Project Zomboid food items (the spreadsheet is sortable, but you need to make a local copy to do so, otherwise you will see a random sorting changes as I will make them)

I made this list by looking through the txt files from media\scripts\ folder located in the game files, all data is there already, all I did was to paste the appropriate infos into tables and make them look clear and sortable. I also added some of the notes from me.

What I did was to take all the appropriate properties from items classified as Type = Food from the 34.6 Steam files. I excluded the properties not related to the food though (icons, sound effects, menus, descriptions...) so it should be easy to compare various food stats.

Unfortunately I had to make it all by hand, as I couldn't bother to make it automatically, especially as the order of the parameters in those files are in random order, so it didn't make it easy, some of the properties are duplicated too (albeit rarely, I'll try to list them below), so there may be some errors (but there shouldn't). However, I was able to display things the way I want and check them manually when copying on the other hand. Either way, if there is any graphical editor/exporter for the files properties, let me know too, but judging from the inconsistence of spaces/tabulators in files, I guess they were edited more or less by hand too :).

Either way, the spreadsheet should be useful for those who want to see things at glance for playtime optimization, but also should be good point to check and compare things for corrections/suggestions and also editing the wiki, so I hope it'll be  useful to you :)

It was useful for me however, as I was able to pinpoint a bunch of oddities/omissions/inconsistencies/bugs related to the food systems, so let me list those:

• Dough, DoughRolled and BakingTrayBread items should be obsolte from what I know. However, they are missing the "obsolete" attributes and had nutricion values added.
  • BreadDough item however is available from the currently obtainable recipe book and have no nutritional values added, I think this is the one that was supposed to get them.
  • CheeseSandwich, GrilledCheese, PeanutButterSandwich are missing nutrition values, but they might be obsolete items. They are missing the "obsolete" flag though. (I found CheeseSandwich and PeanutButterSandwich in a shop , so they may not be that obsolte after all).
  • Modjeska is missing nutritional values too, but I think it may not be currently obtainable anyway.
  • PotOfSoupRecipe, PotOfStew, PanFriedVegetables, PanFriedVegetables2, PieWholeRaw, CakeRaw, Sandwich, BurgerRecipe, SoupBowl, StewBowl, RiceBowl, PastaBowl and Salad are all missing nutritional values, although it's understandable as they are evolved recipes. However PastaPan, RicePan, PastaPot, RicePot, WaterSaucepanRice, WaterSaucepanPasta, WaterPotRice, WaterPotPasta as well as Pie (slice), and CakeSlice have nutritional values added (I haven't made a pasta and rice yet, so I'm not sure how these recipes work exactly).
  • FishFillet, RemouladeFull and RemouladeHalf (unless it'll be made obsolete, see below) (Fixed in 34.7) are missing nutritional values.
  • Salt and Pepper are missing nutritional values. However it makes no sense that they are edible and restore that much hunger while sugar, ketchup, mustard, flour, vingear, yeast, coffe, tea bags and some other foods aren't. I'd love for them all to be edible in the future as a last resort food when starving (along with eating toothpaste, various pills, chewing leather or grass) with a proper system that have severe repercussions for doing so. Currently you can eat salt/pepper without major consequences, as long as you can counter or stand the negative moddles, something I'm not able to do in real life. I don't mind eating butter, mayonaise, remoulade at the current state though - especially with nutrition system in place now. Alternatively, you can make at least ketchup, mustard and sugar edible too.
  • CommonMallow, LemonGrass, BlackSage and Ginseng reduce hunger by one but have no nutrition values filled. They are mostly medicinal items though (but still with a Food property)
  • EggCarton, Jars (CannedXXX) have no nutrition values too, but there's nothing to fill (they are inedible and without shop's package).
  • Lastly Cigarettes and Bleach have no nutrition filled but have the CantBeFrozen tag while Antibiotics are the last food item without any tag at all. (Fixed in 34.7)
  • Egg and WildEggs items are classified as Meat in recipes. I realized that FoodType property is probably responsible for the name of the product, so with another type of egg added down the road, it means that a meal from egg could be named a "Meat Soup" :P? (Fixed in 34.7)
  • Salad (from farming.txt) have "obsolete" flag set. It is however used for evolved recipes. (Fixed in 34.7)
  • All the mushrooms have the same nutricient value, while soem have different hunger values. It's OK for berries though. (Fixed in 34.7)
  • RedRadish still can't be used in evolved recipe or any other recipe for that matter. Plus it have very low nutrition value :( (Fixed in 34.7)
  • Remoulade could use some love, too. It cannot be used as a spice, and  (Fixed in 34.7)RemouladeHalf should probably be marked as "obsolete" (Fixed in 34.7)
  • Naming fixes:
  • - MushroomGeneric1-7: Mushroom - Mushrooms (to match Berry -> Berries change). (Fixed in 34.7)
  • - TunaTin: Tuna -> Canned Tuna or Tin of Tuna (to avoid confusion with non-canned fishes). Also take a look at TunaTinOpen to match those two whatever the decision.
  • - Pie: Pie -> Pie Slice. (Fixed in 34.7)
  • - OpenBeans: Open Can of Beans -> Open Canned Beans.
  • - MayonnaiseFull: Bottle with Mayonnaise (Full) -> Bottle with Mayonnaise (no longer need fulness designation in name, will match remoulade. Also mentioned in my bug report, but after realizing half bottles are obsolete, there's no need to "Full" in name). (Fixed in 34.7)
  • - OatsRaw: Can Of Oats -> Can of Oats. (Fixed in 34.7)
  • - Crappie: Crappie fish -> Crappie (Alternatively Crappie Fish, but other fishes lack the suffix).
  • - Icecream: Icecream -> Ice Cream. I think we are all aware of the fact that they don't perish, right? And we have freezers now too *hint*. Oh BTW, Butter does not perish too.
  • - All items names that do not follow the Title Case: Cake preparation, Little bait fish, Mac and cheese (Mac and Cheese), Pie preparation, Processed cheese, Stir fry, as well as possibly other non-food items, such as mayonnaise Empty bottle. A good regex can catch all these names, as I was looking only on food. (Fixed in 34.7) I may make one later actually, out of curiosity.
EDIT: My bad about ketchup/mustard and found CheeseSandwich

EDIT2: Marked the changes fixed in 34.7 build

Edited by Faalagorn

Since that's how it works in real life (human biology), we could use this for balance, and could generate differing play styles.

That is not how it works in real life. I don't know who told you that. It depends on the woman, the background and the genes. The person. Not the gender.

You lost me when you said "because that's how it works in real life". Because it isn't.

No difference is necessary here. All this is going to do is aggravate people. I've a major in a field that studies this kind of thing (psychology) and it's a lot more complex than you say. There is epigenetics, all kinds of stuff that determine how strong somebody will be. 

Please don't press this issue, there is very little reason for there to be a difference and a million reasons why there shouldn't be. You're just going to take the thread more off topic than it should be.

I can confirm the rotten bug may still be there, as it happened to me on a previous save, I restarted the game let know if/when it happens. Also updated my post a bit and added 4 calculated rows about how many nutrition values each game gives per hunger point.

BTW. If the nutrition system will be fully implemented, won't calories and nutritions replace hunger value?

EDIT: Another thing, Pots with Pasta and Rice (WaterPotRice, WaterPotPasta, RicePot and PastaPot) should all have weight of 4 instead of 3 to match the weight of Pot of Soup and Pot of Stew.

Please guys, keep this thread for food feedback only (bugs included), if you have suggestion or want to talk about it, use the Build 34 discussion thread, I use this thread for balancing the build :D

That is fine , but would you consider "tieing well fed/hunger moodlet to calories? it would actually make sense

It would not . . . Drink a cup of oil or eat half a block of butter and, while you'll have likely exceeded your caloric intake for the day, you'd still be hungry as hell in short order.

This is why items have separate hunger values.

Please guys, keep this thread for food feedback only (bugs included), if you have suggestion or want to talk about it, use the Build 34 discussion thread, I use this thread for balancing the build :D

That is fine , but would you consider "tieing well fed/hunger moodlet to calories? it would actually make sense

It would not . . . Drink a cup of oil or eat half a block of butter and, while you'll have likely exceeded your caloric intake for the day, you'd still be hungry as hell in short order.

This is why items have separate hunger values.

Your person who knows nothing about food , you not noticed you get extremly hungry when eating low calory food like salad , chicken soup , of vegetables , and even be well fed for 4-8 hours when eating extremly fat food or food with large amounts of protain , when i get 10 wings from KFC around 12-14 , i dont eat anything up to 19-21

Fattening food and high protein food stays in stomach longer thats why when eating so makes you well fed for longer , similary candy bars and suger based food digest very fast and it quickly gets in your bloodstream

Weirdly enough , suger helps burn fat , thats why we carve for "sweet things" after eating fat and bigest reason desert is often served after dinner (tho most likely in biger portion then it needs to be) , how it works suger gets digested before fat , burned , energy is then used to burn fat , who turns into more energy

if not tie to calories , tie well fed to amount to fat/protain/suger and make it digest , turning "that stuff" into calories because that's exactly how it works irl and makes sense

And while "calories and being hungry dont make sense" its semi realistic aproach to survival and few games used it successfully , its very intuitive despite it makes half sense

and a bit disappointed its about "healthy" survival , but completly forget vitamins and minerals , lack of vitamin C can kill you faster then most hunger games last , other lacks wont kill you as fast but will make your immune system weaker , you be less strong , slower , tire fast , need more sleep ,not to say mood swings , depression and worse things

No? I'm quite certain transit time depends primarily on the fiber and liquid content of food you've consumed, not protiens or fats inherit within the food.

Craving and quantity (small amount of high calorie/fat/protein food fills less of the stomach, thus has a smaller impact on hunger) seems to matter much more. If I ate purely by energy content of food, I wouldn't have a BMI of 34 now.

And while "calories and being hungry dont make sense" its semi realistic aproach to survival and few games used it successfully , its very intuitive despite it makes half sense

and a bit disappointed its about "healthy" survival , but completly forget vitamins and minerals , lack of vitamin C can kill you faster then most hunger games last , other lacks wont kill you as fast but will make your immune system weaker , you be less strong , slower , tire fast , need more sleep ,not to say mood swings , depression and worse things

It's quite possible the developers are simply trying to minimize complexity in the initial implementation of the nutrition system.