RELEASED: Build 34.10 - Food Tracker Build

RobertJohnson

Current Well Fed mechanic is causing issues.......

While the extended buff duration is nice, its actually causing me to lose calories.

If I'm eating berries, I reach Well Fed too quickly, but by the time it fades, I'm getting a gradual net loss in calories. In a way, Well Fed in its current implementation is causing you to starve. Perhaps Current Calorie total should be taken into consideration, where if you are at less than lets say......3500 calories, you can still eat?

Edit: It's weird, I'm still gaining weight, but my calories are gradually dropping, and will eventually reach 0, mostly because Well Fed is blocking me from eating.

Edit Edit: Results of eating berries for about 4 days http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046681680/screenshot/495762843168963696

I was at about 3800+ calories when I first reached my cabin :/

i played beta for few hours , also read other posts , i played all survival games who are available on market , also played project zomboid since its humble beginnings , just not seen reason to post anything as it was ether posted or not relevant

I dont understand why we are keeping "hunger moodlet" as technically calories are "hunger" if we are going for realism , as constantly my character was starving while being 3000 calories (who makes no sense) or having minus calories while being well fed

I dont understand why carbs , fat , are not "digested to actually give us calories , instead being set value who is burned giving zero benefits(or atleast its not explained) 

I also dont understand how this going to improve game play , in current shape or form its overcomplicating the game , i used to suggest this in many games but i got huge doubts seeing it in this form , instead of "cooking balanced nice meals" how i always used , it will turn into mathematician game to balance "numbers who make no sense so we got everything we need"

everything feels super counter intuitive

Idea i had was similar , but instead of numbers , make 3 stats bars , carbs , protein , fat

and that they would interact with you , carbs turning into calories , fat turning into calories(but slower , more effective with some level of carbs) and protain who would effect muscles body (minimal body weight), strength , and fitness XP bonuses

in current form it feels very overcomplicated , much more then it needs to be

At least consider scraping "hunger" and "hunger/well fed modlets" and leave calories and tie moodlet to calories

Also kinda i feel whole "carbs , and fat" could be replaced with simply calories , and we would focus on things who actually would make you die in apocalypse , lack of vitamins , and minerals , but that would be harder to implemend

Sandbox, no zombies, running 10 minutes every hour when not reading/resting/sleeping.   Eating only when hungry, trying to maximize food (how people are likely to play if they don't see nutritional information).

No traits,  Weight: 79.58

averageCalories=-114.434265
caloriesMax=799.97174
caloriesMin=-916.1711

totalFedPercentage=0
totalStarvingPercentage=0
totalNormalHungerPercentage=100

totalExoPercentage=12
totalSleepPercentage=0
totalNormalPercentage=88

survivalTime=48.13057429282344

So I discovered a Bug.

When you eat 1/4 food.  The 1st quarters of calories are OK but then the remaining value is skewed.

Example Peanut Butter 1/4 gets=665 calories as expected, but then the remaining calories are only 96.  It is not a display bug, eating it all only gives 96 calories.

It is a calculation error.

The Bug is also present when eating 1/2.

Lipids, Protein and Carbs don't change at all when eating a portion.

That part is easy to start fixing:

In the Eat function in IsoGameCharacter.Class change

food.setCalories(food.getCarbohydrates() - food.getCarbohydrates() * percentage);
food.setCalories(food.getProteins() - food.getProteins() * percentage);
food.setCalories(food.getCarbohydrates() - food.getCarbohydrates() * percentage);

to:

food.setCarbohydrates(food.getCarbohydrates() - food.getCarbohydrates() * percentage);
food.setProteins(food.getProteins() - food.getProteins() * percentage);
food.setLipids(food.getLipids() - food.getLipids() * percentage);

Still investigating the Calories problem.

Not sure of the problem with calories I only see two difference:

The only difference I can see in the Eat Function in IsoGameCharacter.Class is that the call to the food.getHungChange

Uses hungChange in Food.Class which is defined as a protected float hungChange = 0.0F..

While the call to food.getCalories() in Food.Class uses Calories which is defined as a private float calories = 0.0F

Finally, calories is a variable defined as a private float at least in the Food.Class and the Nutrition.Class not sure if the conflict is coming from there.

Good luck, I need to go get some sleep...

Update 3!

• Added freezer (icons are placeholder! Mash will do way better than me :D)
    • Every fridge (will be changed) have now a freezer, possibly with some food in them (if so, I lowered a tad the food spawn in fridge)
    • Place food (not everything can be freezed!) in freezer and wait a bunch of time (check the item details to see the progression) and it'll be freezed!
    • Frozen items have way more time before getting rotten (about 50 times more), but you'll need power to have the freezer on :)
    • To unfroze an item, just take it in your inventory or put it in the oven for some time (item first unfroze THEN start to heat for cooking)
  • Fixed pasta & rice not give back the pot when ate.
  • Fixed eating only a portion of food giving .weird nutrition bonus
  • Fixed creating pasta bowl giving rice bowl.
  • Fixed incorrect berries values for evolved recipes
  • Fixed some incorrect mushroom values for evolved recipes
  • Balanced some nutrition values (thanks a lot to all of you guys for this :D)

Had a crash not sure if its anything big but thought I should post my error:

playNightAmbient: VoiceAmbient
playNightAmbient: RhythmicAmbient
playNightAmbient: PercussiveAmbient
playNightAmbient: IntenseAmbient
java.lang.NullPointerException
at zombie.iso.sprite.IsoSprite.PlayAnim(IsoSprite.java:731)
at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.PlayAnim(IsoGameCharacter.java:5560)
at zombie.characters.IsoZombie.update(IsoZombie.java:1877)
at zombie.iso.IsoCell.ProcessObjects(IsoCell.java:1335)
at zombie.iso.IsoCell.update(IsoCell.java:5177)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.update(IsoWorld.java:2502)
at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.update(IngameState.java:1257)
at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:101)
at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:619)
at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1175)
at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:974)
at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:173)
reanimate: saved 0 zombies
STATE: exit zombie.gameStates.IngameState

AWESOME build Loving it!

Update 3!

• Added freezer (icons are placeholder! Mash will do way better than me :D)
    • Every fridge (will be changed) have now a freezer, possibly with some food in them (if so, I lowered a tad the food spawn in fridge)
    • Place food (not everything can be freezed!) in freezer and wait a bunch of time (check the item details to see the progression) and it'll be freezed!
    • Frozen items have way more time before getting rotten (about 50 times more), but you'll need power to have the freezer on :)
    • To unfroze an item, just take it in your inventory or put it in the oven for some time (item first unfroze THEN start to heat for cooking)
  • Fixed pasta & rice not give back the pot when ate.
  • Fixed eating only a portion of food giving .weird nutrition bonus
  • Fixed creating pasta bowl giving rice bowl.
  • Fixed incorrect berries values for evolved recipes
  • Fixed some incorrect mushroom values for evolved recipes
  • Balanced some nutrition values (thanks a lot to all of you guys for this :D)

Was Well Fed addressed in this patch RJ? In a earlier post, Well Fed was causing you to essentially starve if you ate certain food items like berries.

Survived 1 day 4 hours. Survival - Hardcore

This is sadly exactly how most of my games have went on this build. Very short survival time, I can't keep the healing boost going long enough to stave off death from minor injuries that proceed. 

Cal 1760.37

Weight 80.16

Carb 263.22

Prot 108.61

Lip 215.41

Diet consisted of a canned beef, a number of foraged berries, and a frozen fresh pizza.

Death came in the way of thirst, as I had high thirst and restless sleeper as my traits, coupled with Strong and Athletic. (Unemployed)

Talking about fridges, here some ideas

- small fridges should have half space compared to regular fridges (buff of the electrician profession, need of bigger fridges)

- small fridges should not have freezers

- freezers should have small amount of space (10?)

- cooking by microwave should reduce a bit the bonus of cooked food (a stove makes better cooked food as example)

had another crash this is from the console.txt

java.lang.RuntimeException: __concat not defined for operands: ContextMenu_FoodType_ and null

at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaUtil.fail(KahluaUtil.java:91)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:781)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1727)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:72)
at zombie.characters.CharacterTimedActions.LuaTimedActionNew.perform(LuaTimedActionNew.java:77)
at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.update(IsoGameCharacter.java:9481)
at zombie.characters.IsoPlayer.update(IsoPlayer.java:2614)
-----------------------------------------
STACK TRACE
function: checkName -- file: ISAddItemInRecipe.lua line # 57
function: perform -- file: ISAddItemInRecipe.lua line # 36
java.lang.RuntimeException: __concat not defined for operands: ContextMenu_FoodType_ and null
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaUtil.fail(KahluaUtil.java:91)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:781)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1727)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:72)
at zombie.characters.CharacterTimedActions.LuaTimedActionNew.perform(LuaTimedActionNew.java:77)
at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.update(IsoGameCharacter.java:9481)
at zombie.characters.IsoPlayer.update(IsoPlayer.java:2614)
STACK TRACE
function: checkName -- file: ISAddItemInRecipe.lua line # 57
function: perform -- file: ISAddItemInRecipe.lua line # 36

Hey, ok i started my first game Sandbox (all settings by default expect normal food and power/water shut off 6-12 months)

There is a little issue with the stats ui, due the fact i took to many trats the number of ingame days is glitched.

I started with 80,02 kg and eat every time i was hungry (and every time up to well feed), i did the normal work, claimed my safe house, looted aso, i will stay in the city region as long i survive and will see if i can get really fat ;=)

What do i eat....

A good mix between fresh veggies, meat and chips and canned food.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620382521

Edit:

Better i do another shot before i might die, the helicopter is real and i have no clue how many zeds are near my house.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620449849

Well i survived and iam now nearing the 100 kg mark, the hungry trait is a mess ;=)

Even when i eat a tasty soup (-60 hunger) i have 3 hours later again hunger, so iam eating alot.

When i reach the 3 months mark i doubt i can pass my window.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Thinos/screenshot/311115898926786273

Edit: Even when i fight the zeds or go looting i get more fat) You should mean killing 400 zeds is a heavy work, the same for chopping trees....

i played beta for few hours , also read other posts , i played all survival games who are available on market , also played project zomboid since its humble beginnings , just not seen reason to post anything as it was ether posted or not relevant

I dont understand why we are keeping "hunger moodlet" as technically calories are "hunger" if we are going for realism , as constantly my character was starving while being 3000 calories (who makes no sense) or having minus calories while being well fed

I dont understand why carbs , fat , are not "digested to actually give us calories , instead being set value who is burned giving zero benefits(or atleast its not explained) 

I also dont understand how this going to improve game play , in current shape or form its overcomplicating the game , i used to suggest this in many games but i got huge doubts seeing it in this form , instead of "cooking balanced nice meals" how i always used , it will turn into mathematician game to balance "numbers who make no sense so we got everything we need"

everything feels super counter intuitive

Idea i had was similar , but instead of numbers , make 3 stats bars , carbs , protein , fat

and that they would interact with you , carbs turning into calories , fat turning into calories(but slower , more effective with some level of carbs) and protain who would effect muscles body (minimal body weight), strength , and fitness XP bonuses

in current form it feels very overcomplicated , much more then it needs to be

At least consider scraping "hunger" and "hunger/well fed modlets" and leave calories and tie moodlet to calories

Also kinda i feel whole "carbs , and fat" could be replaced with simply calories , and we would focus on things who actually would make you die in apocalypse , lack of vitamins , and minerals , but that would be harder to implemend

Pretty good first post =)

Agree with your idea of calories being hunger and all that other dietist magic.

A couple things to note...

- Perhaps making the transition between hunger and starvation longer...? People can go on without food for days and the ill effects don't kick in that quickly (at least for most).

- Specify the unit in which weight is being measured, like pounds, stone, kilograms, and make it so we can change it in the options menu.

Other than that, great update. Boosted replayability for me temporarily, and I hope to see more come of this.

Update 4!

• Fixed recipecode not taking nutrition
  • Fixed multiple "pour into bowl" entry in context menu
  • Removed nutrition display to test (only weight is displayed)
  • Fixed some bug with evolved recipes
  • Capped the carb/lip/prots values (to -500 and 1000 for now)

Hopefully this version will be bug free.. Finally be able to smash that annoying bug of cutting fish fillet or pour into bowl won't give nutritionnal value..

Also another note: When you're playing in easy your hunger decrease slower, I'm doing calcul to add that to calories too (easier to manage nutrition in easiest mode)