RELEASED: Build 34.10 - Food Tracker Build

RobertJohnson

FOOD TRACKER BUILD

Hello! As many of you know we're working on making PZ's food system and its impact on Survival more realistic. To do this we need your help!

It's gonna be hard to balance, hence why we really need your help here, but please stay on the subject, you can sure comment if you think that the system is way too hard with having a good nutrition, but please explain why!

This is not finished, some bonus/malus about the nutrition aren't in yet (everything about weight/fitness is in though, you can notice new weight-related traits)

All the packaged food will have nutrition informations displayed, this may change to only display calories (a nutritionnist will know everything!) but try to not stick to that while eating, just act you're playing a normal game..

Also some new foods are in, but not everything, I have more ideas about that don't worry :)

HOW? HOW CAN WE HELP?

We need to see your in-game eating habits in the curreng game, and once we've hoovered enough stats up we will be sure that when we integrate the new system it benefits the survival experience (especially in the late game) rather than become a pain in the arse.

WHERE IS THE BUILD?

Right click Project Zomboid in your Steam library and select "Properties". Navigate to the Steam Beta tab and input the following password: spiffoburgers

You may need to restart Steam to see the beta branch in the list.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Play the game entirely as you usually would in normal Survival. After few days/weks (months even!) of play press the J key (character screen) and either screenshot or note down the new figures there: calories, weight, carb, proteins, lipids. These are the gamified real world stats that the new system will run off but will be invisible to most players.

Then: post in this thread!

Tell us game settings, a general run-down on what you were eating (more fruits/vegetables, anything you found, etc...) and either post your character screen or tap in your food stats.

ANYTHING ELSE?

We will also need stats from the late-game, so if you could use a backed up save of a game that's 3+ months in then please do the same. Then post the info up here, being sure to tell us how long you've survived for when the stats were harvested!

ANYTHING ELSE ELSE?

Only that we'd ask all discussions about the new food system to be in separate threads on the forum. This thread is purely for statistical feedback direct from your own PZ games. Thanks everyone!

- Last note: This is a version directly from my pc, you may find some weird stuff sometimes (really not a big deal tho!), don't worry all will be ok for real release, stay only on nutrition, thanks :)

- Also also: this test is stricly for single player for now, dedicaced server will not be updated.

- I LOVE EDITING: I may in a future version add a debug files who tracks lot of thing (average calories, average weight gain/loss, how many time you run per day, what food you ate....)

Update1:

Spoiler

First update!

• Added nutrition debug file
  • Fixed some bugs with the nutrition system
  • Reduced hunger decrease (so you'll be less starving)
  • Hunger reduce faster if fighting
  • Added malus for having too much or too few carbs/ptos/lipids (still not 100% done)
  • Cap the calories values (can't go under 3500 or over 4000, let's see if it's help or way too unrealistic and i'll remove it...)

About the nutrition debug file, if you go in your save folder you'll have a nutritiondebug.txt file, here I note some datas that could be usefull for me to know if the system is balanced or not (% of exercise you do compared to being at rest or sleeping, average calories, % of the time you're fed/starving/normal....)

I'll prob add more in this file if I need more infos :)

But basically what I want to know is if people are running 50% of their time and then complain about having not enough calories... :P

So please copy/paste the result of this file in Spoiler tag! Thanks :)

Update 2:

Spoiler
  • Added icons for the new traits (not definitive icons!)
  • Added new traits descriptions
  • You now can't eat if you're well fed
  • Fixed weight-related trait sometimes not being updated in character info screen
  • Changed single berry in a bunch of berries
  • Added pasta & rice (they are evolved recipes, lot of food can be added in them, you need a water pot to prepare them)
  • Added several foods to evolved recipes (canned foods can now be added to recipes, etc...)
  • Fixed cutting fish filet not adding nutritional values
  • Fixed unfit/out of shape being good traits
  • Well fed moodle will stay bit longer
  • Fixed some evolved recipes incorrect numbers
  • Reduced speed of gaining/losing weight
  • Calories to gain weight is now based on your weight (the more you have weight, the more calories is needed to gain weight)
  • You know start at 800 calories (previously 500)
  • Fixed Emaciated trait having wrong value
  • Fixed nutrition values in food tooltip being displayed in green
  • Fixed nutrition value of base item (cake preparation, pie dough..) not being added in evolved recipe
  • Balanced some nutrition values

Update 3:

Spoiler
  • Added freezer (icons are placeholder! Mash will do way better than me :D)
    • Every fridge (will be changed) have now a freezer, possibly with some food in them (if so, I lowered a tad the food spawn in fridge)
    • Place food (not everything can be freezed!) in freezer and wait a bunch of time (check the item details to see the progression) and it'll be freezed!
    • Frozen items have way more time before getting rotten (about 50 times more), but you'll need power to have the freezer on :)
    • To unfroze an item, just take it in your inventory or put it in the oven for some time (item first unfroze THEN start to heat for cooking)
  • Fixed pasta & rice not give back the pot when ate.
  • Fixed eating only a portion of food giving .weird nutrition bonus
  • Fixed creating pasta bowl giving rice bowl.
  • Fixed incorrect berries values for evolved recipes
  • Fixed some incorrect mushroom values for evolved recipes
  • Balanced some nutrition values (thanks a lot to all of you guys for this :D)

Please keep the thread free from discussions of anything unrelated to the nutrition system. Unrelated posts will be cleared from the topic.

Thanksies!

Love,

Team

oki I did a fast try and hers the result.

Game mode:

Sandbox - no zeds, day time 15 min. I spawned in WP.

Unemployed guy, no traits.

I started my test at this place, I was Well Fed after hamburger and onion, water bottle was full.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311115421200862235/0F6AB2D249BA8682013185A12D94BC88181A210A/

then I start to run.

Hers when the well Feed buff gone.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311115421200876012/64CEB805D24150F3A1CF3568E79AA830A3886666/

another update

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311115421200878339/2AD43995B25E0F4CCAF6C6A54E0561C8C2991E0E/

and the last one.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311115421200880561/0BCCB3845ABA41C79843E4977B8F89DB9A341CD9/

If you ask me: you get hungry way to fast, but also i was starving but my hp didnt drop.

Dead rats don't have any stats  :D

Don't forget one of the main protein sources we'll be basing our diet on when not close to a river  :D

Edit: RJ, would you like us to list here the foods with stats that could be off?

Driet meat, for example, has

Carbs 6

Prots 1

Lip 1

IRL, its (100g)

Carbs 0 

Prots 39

Lips 9

Edited by Ohbal

Oh yup Ohbal, I'd like that, I gathered my information from walmart and some other sites... :D

I didn't based value on 100g but on what I saw in sales.... Maybe I was wrong sometimes? :/

Gimme the link of the food info you found tho, so I can update my list :P

As for dead rat.. Yeah, I miss some food, hard to find nutrition value on dead rats tbh... But it's planned, I'll write something up... Don't hesitate to gimme your thoughts :D

@Zorak: wow, you sure you ate enough? You're starving to fast tho? Yeah, I buffed a bit the hunger reduction so you get starved faster, from my test you could eat a simple breakfast at 9am and was not being hungry untill 15pm, quite unrealistic :D But I may have nerfed that too much.. Oh also hunger is reduced faster when running/fighting now :P

Thanks a lot for your testing guys!

Edit: for nutrition value, MP them to me, it'll be easier for me, thanks :)

This one is good:

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/

There is nothing the internet can't give you  :D

One 300-gram rat contains 648 Calories, 63 grams of protein, and 33 grams of fat.

https://neurostew.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/nutritional-content-of-rat/

And here you have a simple table of the insect's nutritional value

http://forestandrange.org/modules/behavior/images/insectnutrition.gif

Oh, and I'll switch my game to English, as I just realized that what gets lost in translation could lead to missinformation. Ignore the dried meat info and use the first link to double check stuff :)

Oh yup Ohbal, I'd like that, I gathered my information from walmart and some other sites... :D

I didn't based value on 100g but on what I saw in sales.... Maybe I was wrong sometimes? :/

Gimme the link of the food info you found tho, so I can update my list :P

As for dead rat.. Yeah, I miss some food, hard to find nutrition value on dead rats tbh... But it's planned, I'll write something up... Don't hesitate to gimme your thoughts :D

@Zorak: wow, you sure you ate enough? You're starving to fast tho? Yeah, I buffed a bit the hunger reduction so you get starved faster, from my test you could eat a simple breakfast at 9am and was not being hungry untill 15pm, quite unrealistic :D But I may have nerfed that too much.. Oh also hunger is reduced faster when running/fighting now :P

Thanks a lot for your testing guys!

Edit: for nutrition value, MP them to me, it'll be easier for me, thanks :)

You can se my calories at start in 1st screenshot. And yes i was running all that time. Its great that you get more hungry when you run a lot but I turend from well feed to starved (IMO) way to fast. I used around -75 hunger food to travel 80% of WP. Without cars travelling from MU to WP will cost you over 300 units of food.

Wow, 80% of MP.. Dude that's a long run there...

It's kinda the point, you wanna run for long, plan it, don't go for it without foods on you, make multiple stop...

I'll try tomorrow to see if it's not bit too much as you said, I kinda want to add body aches to make people understand that they run a LOT during the game, and that was my main fear: people will keep running like before without planning the food to do so...

I'll prob do a new version tomorrow anyway, with bit more stuff and balance, thanks a lot for testing! :)

Off topic - Can I report bugs of this build on the tracker unrelated to the nutrition? I've become victim to the loot icons being in a different place almost off screen, TV text being off-screen and running into doors and pressing "e" doesn't work anymore which is definitely annoying having to stop to open a door when you're being chased. :P

Nope, this is just for nutrition, not general bughunting :). Your reply has been deleted, this one will be too tomorrow.

This list contains the names of the food that is not added to the system of calories

- Apple

- Avocado

- Bacon Rashers

- Banana

- Bass

- Bell Pepper

- Berry's

- The Bowl of Soup and others

- Broccoli

- Burger

- Cabbage

- Cake and Cake Slice

- Candycane

- Carrots

- Catfish

- Cheese

- Cherry

- Chicken

- Cockroach

- Cookie jeny

- Corn

- Corndog

- Crappie Fish

- Cupcake

- Animals

- Dough

- Egg

- Eggplants

- Fried Chicken

- Fries

- Grapes

- Hotdog

- Leek

- Lemon

- Lollipop

- Meat Patty

Edit by RJ: Your list is just items that are non packaged, and as I said in the OP, non-packaged food won't display nutrition infos, this items still have nutrition set up (check the items.txt for example ;))

First update!

• Added nutrition debug file
  • Fixed some bugs with the nutrition system
  • Reduced hunger decrease (so you'll be less starving)
  • Hunger reduce faster if fighting
  • Added malus for having too much or too few carbs/ptos/lipids (still not 100% done)
  • Cap the calories values (can't go under 3500 or over 4000, let's see if it's help or way too unrealistic and i'll remove it...)

About the nutrition debug file, if you go in your save folder you'll have a nutritiondebug.txt file, here I note some datas that could be usefull for me to know if the system is balanced or not (% of exercise you do compared to being at rest or sleeping, average calories, % of the time you're fed/starving/normal....)

I'll prob add more in this file if I need more infos :)

But basically what I want to know is if people are running 50% of their time and then complain about having not enough calories... :P

So please copy/paste the result of this file in Spoiler tag! Thanks :)

I looked around for nutrition information a few years ago when I was working on a Nutrition Mobile app (don't ask) and you can get a huge amount of nutrition information for non-processed food (i.e. things like apples) from the US FDA site (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/). I believe it's even possible to download this in an open data format (not sure if it's XML or CSV anymore).

I believe government agencies in other countries which deal with food also have this kind of info available (the UK's one has it for sure).

Hope this helps you get the values for the non-processed food.

Ok here we go, first month on survival hardcore :

averageCalories=1902.1664
caloriesMax=3999.9731
caloriesMin=-1316.5355

totalFedPercentage=9
totalStarvingPercentage=26
totalNormalHungerPercentage=65

totalExoPercentage=29
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=80

survivalTime=697.3071855766757

screen : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616671694

Enjoy !

Here are my results so far (haven't player that much yet, focusing on getting nutritional information):

averageCalories=3478.5288
caloriesMax=3999.9731
caloriesMin=0.0

totalFedPercentage=5
totalStarvingPercentage=7
totalNormalHungerPercentage=88

totalExoPercentage=8
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=99

survivalTime=45.742876236035954

@Nagash: Wow, 159kg? It's huge, but average 1900 calories is high anyway.. What was your food habbit? What did you eat the most and for how long you survived so far? Also, you don't have an Obese trait in your traits list? Weird, you should have one :(

@Vanoe: can you screenshot the character screen please?

I made a wilderness attempt (thought it is a good opportunity to try that).

my data:

averageCalories=-2806.425
caloriesMax=0.0
caloriesMin=-3500.0

totalFedPercentage=19
totalStarvingPercentage=4
totalNormalHungerPercentage=77

totalExoPercentage=5
totalSleepPercentage=1
totalNormalPercentage=99

survivalTime=992.6507359055686

Screenshot:
v4O7tT9.jpg

I have the "Very Underweight" trait. Thought it would be a good pick for my no running playstyle.

I am 90 percent of the wake time occupied with getting food from fishing, trapping and farming and had nearly no time for anything else. The start was really hard, even with a bag full of nonperishables carried over.

It's somewhat interesting, 'cause I think if you would live in the wilderness for real, your main occupation would be searching for enough food.

It is a bit tedious and not very much fun gameplay-wise at the moment, but only needs a bit of balencing i guess...

Cooked food gives nearly no +calories and there seems to be a bug with making bowls from soups/stews. They give +0 calories. Was stuck at -3500 most of the time.

If I eat a full chicken fish/rabbit soup with vegetables with -58 hunger it gives me about +190 calories.

Result is that I'm permanently loosing weight.

(I'm not at -3500 calories in the screenshot because I ate a full glass of peanutbutter [to understand the mechanics] shortly before)

Added the screenshot as requested.

Side note: I'm done with half the suggested calorie changes.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/18133-new-sugested-nutritional-values-for-build-34/

Calories for berries should be about 57 per 0.1 weight of the berries (increasing current calories by X 10).

Mushroom should be about 43 per 0.1 weight (up by X 10).

With the current caloric count you will almost burn more calories in the animation to eat the berries and mushroom then what you get out of them.

Still need to add the above items in the list.

This will make foraging more of an option for food gathering.

Can't speak about suggested changes to fishing and farming yet.

Gonna take a look for the soup/evolved recipes but it should work I fixed some bugs on it on the last update...

Because yeah, right now you're at 19kg, so you should be dead tbh :D

Cooked food won't give more calories than non cooked ones.

As for berries I'll take a look, but maybe it's like real life concumber, you spent more calories eating it than getting calories from it :D

But yeah, I have hard time understand it all here, as some people get really overweight and some really underweight...

You started Very underweight tho, so you'll have to focus hard on getting calories early game, and fishing won't help on that, farming could help a bit yes, but you'll more like junk food/tv dinner to start getting in shape again.

So I'm trying to get it, can you tell me what you ate mostly? Also whe you find you gain 0 calories from food, what was the food? (that was clearly bug, so it coulda help you.. :/)

I think I'll go more expenential here, as if you're underweight you'll gain more weight than someone at 80kg, to help a bit... But really small bonus tho, don't wanna make a very underweight start easy, this thing is currently +10 points and if you choose it, bear in mind that early game will be hell on earth and you'll need lot of food to get in shape again, specially knowing that very underweight will make you exhausted faster, losing muscle, etc... Maybe more a +12 points traits finally... :D

Sry, I've made a mistake in my previous post. I said "chicken soup", but was talking about a full cooking pot with fish filet and several vegetables.

I'm no expert, but 180 calories seems a bit low for a full cooking pot of soup made from a fish filet or a rabbit and several different vegetables (potatoe, cabbage and broccoli).

I'm eating all the time, am well fed a lot but always on the absolute lower end of calories (-3500) with farmed, trapped or fished and then cooked stuff.

tl;dr: impossible to hold your weight without eating looted/canned food or sugar sh...enanigans.

@Nagash: Wow, 159kg? It's huge, but average 1900 calories is high anyway.. What was your food habbit? What did you eat the most and for how long you survived so far? Also, you don't have an Obese trait in your traits list? Weird, you should have one :(

Food habbit was mostly cans,chips, orange juices, cupcakes, peanuts butter (everything that makes fat :D ), early game i coocked some meals with fresh ingredients ; i think the most i ate was every kind of cans since electricity is off ; i survived a month for now, i can keep continue this game the longest i can and i had to restart the game to get the Obese trait :D How i'm supposed to remove it now :/ ? Coffee/tee should help a bit reducing fat?

As for berries I'll take a look, but maybe it's like real life concumber, you spent more calories eating it than getting calories from it :D

If possible, could we get a quality of life change on berries, to where you can eat multiple berries at once (say for example, eat all would eat ALL of one color of berry). If not, could we maybe get an option to craft a "bunch" of berries. Right now right clicking and selecting eat all on a single berry is pretty painful :/

Edit: Actually, this quite possibly needs to be expanded to all foods.......if hunger is meant to drain this quickly. I find myself spending more time eating than actually playing atm :/

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046681680/screenshot/495762843157311057

I tried it out for about a month in game. Trying to play an outdoor survival character isn't really doable (or enjoyable) against the current hunger clock. On my best days, I could hit -3000 calories.

I haven't tried to do it without hearty appetite, I'll try it again without that trait, but surely it shouldn't be that devastating?

Edit: Relevant skills - Foraging: 5, Fishing: 2, Cooking: 2 before I gave up fighting the calorie clock.

Edit Edit: Gonna try to fight the calorie clock again, I'm gonna see if Light Eater makes being an outdoor survivalist possible.